U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Chinese Communities
San Gabriel Valley 14 53.85%
Greater Vancouver 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 12:06 PM

21,213 posts, read 22,707,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
I’m talking about SF itself. Chinese food in the bay area is becoming more democratized on the Peninsula. As the rest of the Peninsula gets better with more diversity of Chinese, SF stays the same, except that Richmond is now has better restaurants than Chinatown.

Maybe over Irvine, but I wouldn’t go so far as saying NYC and SGV are at all comparable. Fuzhounese is probably the only Chinese that significantly exploded for NYC during decline of Chinese food in the city as a whole. Cantonese is done better in SGV (and Vancouver) than NYC, as well as almost every other region I can think of, minus Fujianese is done better in NYC. If any NYC regions come close to SGV I’d say it’s Sichuan, not Cantonese. There’s an upswing in good Chinese restaurant in NYC the past few years, but I can’t imagine them catching up to SGV any time soon, especially when they’re still need to make a convincing claim over SF.
Yea, I figured you were talking only about SF Chinatown. Mass transit is limited and expensive enough and driving such a pain that I guess it makes sense to think of it as a somewhat discrete entity from other parts of the Bay Area, but it all sort of runs a spectrum as going from one of SGV to another can be pretty horrendous as well. Also, I thought the better Chinese restaurant scene isn't in the Peninsula, but South Bay and parts of the East Bay close to South Bay. I don't really know as I don't go to the Bay Area often enough to make much of a judgment and I so far seldom eat at Chinese restaurants when I do go.

Los Angeles, including SGV and Orange County, has a Chinese restaurant scene I'm a lot more comfortable talking about as I'm from there, visit often, and have friends who work in the industry there. Meanwhile, I live in NYC.

NYC is definitely not seeing a decline in the variety of Chinese food--it's seeing very rapid growth along with a stronger degree of mainstreaming of authentic Chinese food rather than American Chinese food to non-Chinese audiences. From my experience, Fuzhou/Fujian is better in NYC, Dongbei is better, Sichuan and Hunan are comparable, Western Chinese and Uyghur is better in NYC, Cantonese is maybe comparable but after thinking about more, probably SGV is better. Wu-speaking peoples seem a lot more common in Queens now than ever before and so there have been a lot of Yangtze Delta Region / Shanghainese restaurants, though I still prefer Ding Tai Fung (though that's from Taiwan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 09:48 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,974,798 times
I think Vancouver Chinese are less assimilated and many still live the same way they do in China. I've heard going to Vancouver you feel like you are in China.

While many California Chinese are also either unassimilated or form their own exclusive subcultures its not to the extent of Canada. In general, immigrants to Canada don't adopt Western culture at the speed or to the extent immigrants to the US generally do. Though to be honest I've met some Chinese Americans born in California who still speak with a Chinese accent. This is unseen in other parts of the country for example I personally am of Chinese descent and I sound completely American and am culturally more American than many of the Asians in the San Gabriel valley.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:15 AM

1,186 posts, read 364,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Vancouver Chinese are less assimilated and many still live the same way they do in China. I've heard going to Vancouver you feel like you are in China.

While many California Chinese are also either unassimilated or form their own exclusive subcultures its not to the extent of Canada. In general, immigrants to Canada don't adopt Western culture at the speed or to the extent immigrants to the US generally do. Though to be honest I've met some Chinese Americans born in California who still speak with a Chinese accent. This is unseen in other parts of the country for example I personally am of Chinese descent and I sound completely American and am culturally more American than many of the Asians in the San Gabriel valley.
Oh, you're Chinese, too? Where do your parents come from? Mine come from Hong Kong. Interesting...huh, I didn't see a single other Chinese person in Louisiana/Mississippi when I stayed for a couple months during summer 2017.

The irony is, I can speak, read, and write Chinese much better than most other American-born Chinese, despite growing up in Irvine, not the San Gabriel Valley. At the same time, my English sounds perfectly American, and at school I'm the ultra-conservative, religious, fan of the South. Oh well. Seems like I have only two settings: 1. Ultra Chinese (well, for an American-born Chinese) or 2. Culturally very white-American (even redneck)! Anything in between and I don't get it!

Old 02-24-2019, 11:29 PM

6,054 posts, read 6,656,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Interesting...huh, I didn't see a single other Chinese person in Louisiana/Mississippi when I stayed for a couple months during summer 2017.
This might blow your mind if you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMrqGHr5zE

Old 02-27-2019, 11:26 AM

4,385 posts, read 2,647,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Chinese Floridian here...strongly considering both cities for potential relocation when my kids get a little older. Visited both numerous times and have lots of family in each. From my perception, this goes to Vancouver. It's the percentage and influence that wins out for me. LA is quite even in Chinese amenities overall but not compared to the size of the region as a whole. Factors 4-6 seem fairly even as well for an outside observer...at least not significantly in favor of one side or the other. (assuming we are comparing nice areas/schools and not the cumulative metro region as a whole)
I'm considering LA or Seattle.

Old 02-27-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm considering LA or Seattle.
Seattle's Chinese community is puny compared to its West Coast peers.

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

397 posts, read 128,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
This might blow your mind if you haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMrqGHr5zE
OMG! Chinese with Southern accents

Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM

4,385 posts, read 2,647,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Seattle's Chinese community is puny compared to its West Coast peers.
Yeah....I know. but can't live in Canada haha. Considering LA as well. There are a lot of Asians in Seattle right?

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

181 posts, read 196,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah....I know. but can't live in Canada haha. Considering LA as well. There are a lot of Asians in Seattle right?
Mostly concentrated in Bellevue and surrounding communities (Redmond, Newcastle, Mercer Island). The 2010 census had that Bellevue was 27.6% Asian. Outside of cities in California and Hawaii, Bellevue probably has among the highest percentage of Asians in the US.

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Mostly concentrated in Bellevue and surrounding communities (Redmond, Newcastle, Mercer Island). The 2010 census had that Bellevue was 27.6% Asian. Outside of cities in California and Hawaii, Bellevue probably has among the highest percentage of Asians in the US.
Nope. Even Sugar Land, Texas has 35% Asian population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or