U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:48 PM

21,635 posts, read 23,064,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Seattle and Portland are doing very well from a dense urban, live/work/play standpoint. They are newer cities (compared to the big dense East Coast cities), yet they provide solid downtown's that are far ahead of other "newer" cities (Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Denver, Phoenix, etc.)

I agree with Denver. I think the scenery is beautiful and the city has come a long way, but I find it to be a bit overrated for what if offered when I visited. Kind of hyped up like Austin and DC, but not as much going on.
In regards to downtown Seattle, the area is certainly booming, especially in recent years, and has seen a lot of high-rises over the decades but I'm not sure if it's yet reached its previous peak because the Alaskan Way Viaduct and I-95 did some massive cuts through the downtown and both took out buildings, incentivized the building of parking lots, and cut off parts of the city from downtown in different directions along with the common issue mentioned earlier of downtowns having their shopping districts getting somewhat supplanted.

The Alaskan Way Viaduct is now currently defunct though and is undergoing demolition, so that's a potential positive as well as the continued expansion of the light rail system running through downtown. If Seattle's overall city and metropolitan area population boom, increased tourism, downtown skyscraper construction, and pace of replacing downtown surface parking lots hasn't yet brought downtown Seattle back to its peak yet, then it's certainly close to getting there.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-22-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 11:46 PM

4,186 posts, read 2,449,074 times
Downtown Seattle is multiple of its postwar size by any standard other than department stores.

I-5 knocked a lot of stuff down and created a barrier in some places. The old 99 was an annoyance but not a barrier...most of it was elevated viaduct or tunnel, and involved a small fraction of the teardowns.

Old Today, 05:54 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,694,245 times
Downtown Portland and Seattle are fantastic, along with L.A and Denver.

Old Today, 05:55 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,694,245 times
Phoenix's downtown is really looking cool. It's booming!!!! It has become lively and dynamic.

Old Today, 06:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 523,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I'm not sure any of them do anymore. At least at their peak. Obviously, NYC, Chicago, San Fran, Philly, Boston, etc. still have a lot of foot traffic, but probably not as much as at their peak. With people staying in their house in the tech age, plus the growth of sprawl and suburbs, and malls. I would venture to say none of them are like they used to be. Not if the population stayed the same. If a city grew, it might feel like it has a lot of foot traffic. But that would just be growth. I'm not sure per rate, that downtowns will ever be like their peaks. Plus, American's are fatter than ever because of technology. I'm not. I make it a point to not become a vegetable, but boy I got friends who blew up like sausages. Perhaps, I am to antsy for that. NY might seem like it, but even NYC probably lost a lot of people moving around due to technology. Many people sit around too much and play on the computer. I like to go to cities and explore, but I don't find a lot of people are out and about unless it's a really large city or a hip college town. Outside of that, many downtowns are dead.
One could probably find examples of suburbs that have found new life as commuter bedroom communities and have more downtown foot traffic per capita than they ever have (Reston, VA? Bellevue, WA?) but yeah, unfortunately I think this is accurate as far as core cities go.

Old Today, 08:23 PM

761 posts, read 317,068 times
The rise of the automobile really shredded the urban fabric and vibrancy of a lot of sunbelt cities. I find that footage and other photos of Dallas pre-1960 to be the most stark example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or