U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 05:58 AM

539 posts, read 424,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Both
this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 06:53 AM

11,863 posts, read 10,139,052 times
Where are you coming from? I'd do both--maybe stretch it to 5 days and stop in NYC for a night on the way to Boston. Philly to Boston is about 5.5 Hour drive with NYC in between, but closer to Philly.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:24 AM

5,318 posts, read 4,816,492 times
Amtrak also has an Acela that will get you from Philadelphia to Boston in 5ish hours, so you can relax instead of dealing with traffic.

But if you are picking one city, I am a bit bias, but I would vote Philadelphia.
Its a much larger city, so 3 days can be better spent between historic sites, architecture and museums. Also, if you like food, Philadelphia is one of my favorite foodie towns.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:52 AM

614 posts, read 727,875 times
Philadelphia, like other's have said, is the larger of the two, but how much of that historic stuff is outside of a few sq. miles in the core? I'm not seeing the importance of size in this particular instance.

There is some bias for my choice, but I would go with Boston, especially if you go in the summer. I love Philly, but I think Boston is a notch above Philly when it comes to tourists on foot.

Both are great cities and you won't regret choosing either, go with your heart, or like someone else said... flip a coin.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:58 AM

6,255 posts, read 13,688,141 times
I think Boston would have more of the American history stuff, but Philly would give you more overall to do. Maybe I'm biased, but I think Philly has the better museums and more city stuff to explore while Boston is the better option for purely the history aspect.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:43 AM

6,697 posts, read 7,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Philadelphia, like other's have said, is the larger of the two, but how much of that historic stuff is outside of a few sq. miles in the core? I'm not seeing the importance of size in this particular instance.
I’ll attempt to answer your question. The 1777 Battle of Germantown, an in-city neighborhood, set the British Army up for a subsequently successful occupation of the seat of the Second Continental Congress. Stenton, built in 1727, which served as the HQ for Washington before serving the same purpose for the victorious British, still carries bullet holes from the battle in its stone exterior. The entire Colonial Germantown Historic Distrct is a National Historic Landmark District, and features many historic homes and structures along with beautiful gardens open to the public.

Less than half an hour from Center City (on a good traffic day) lies Valley Forge. Other sites within an hour or less include Washington Crossing, the Brandywine battlefield, the Bryn Athyn Historic District, Fort Mifflin and Bertram’s Garden. Others may be able to suggest additions. All of these can be googled.

Keep in mind, there are more than enough opportunities to fill up on your history in Center City in 3 days without having to venture farther afield. Here is a ranking of just the top 15: https://www.visitphilly.com/articles...ction--item-15.

My post is not to suggest the OP visit Philly over Boston, but just to correct any misperception that all of Philly’s history in concentrated in Center City. I would suggest the OP (and every American) visit both cities at some point in their lifetime. Boston has a great harborfront and good seafood. If that appeals to the OP, then spend this trip in Boston. If the OP would like to include a more urban experience, then Philly is the clear choice.

There is no bad decision here.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:43 AM

4,340 posts, read 7,360,424 times
Both are very deserving of a visit, and certainly both have loads to offer relative to colonial American history and culture. The Boston area has a very unique oceanside vibe that you can't get in Philly, but Philly's pastoral countryside is second to none.

Might really come down to price points and timing. Philly is likely to provide you at least a little more bang for your tourist buck, and depending on the intended month of travel, there may be some differences in expected weather that may push you more towards one or the other (Boston has at least somewhat more temperate summers, but Philly arguably has earlier and more vibrant springs).

Good luck!

Last edited by Duderino; 02-20-2019 at 08:52 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 08:47 AM

1,568 posts, read 771,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I think Boston would have more of the American history stuff, but Philly would give you more overall to do. Maybe I'm biased, but I think Philly has the better museums and more city stuff to explore while Boston is the better option for purely the history aspect.

I don't think Boston is a slouch for museums and other "city stuff"

Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 AM

1,854 posts, read 1,867,805 times
If you go to Philly, it’d be easier to see Baltimore, NYC, and/or Washington too.

If you go to Boston you could take day trips via the commuter rail to Concord, Salem, and/or Lowell, which are pretty cool historic towns if you’ve never been. The Peabody Essex Museum has some really neat stuff.

I imagine Philly would be cheaper to stay in. Boston hotels tend to be on the expensive side unfortunately.

Last edited by iAMtheVVALRUS; 02-20-2019 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 11:57 AM

1,573 posts, read 1,043,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm completely in agreement with all those who labeled Boston and Philadelphia great cities. And I fully understand their being conflated as these two, more than any other, represent that colonial era coming of age and coming into its own leading to the revolution and the new nation era.

From Faneuil Hall and Paul Revere's house in Boston to Philadelphia's Independence Hall and Liberty Bell, the two are steeped in history.

Which one would I give the nod to (and it is a slight nod as they are close in what they offer): Boston. Why? It seems to me that history has "stuck" more in Boston than in Philly. Philadelphia grew far larger than Boston, so I do think that Boston is closer to its "roots".
Meh...The historic part of Boston can be seen in like 2 hours on foot. Honestly not much to do for 3 days. In the winter I'd go Philly in the summer I'd go Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City