U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 12:51 PM

1,568 posts, read 771,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Meh...The historic part of Boston can be seen in like 2 hours on foot. Honestly not much to do for 3 days. In the winter I'd go Philly in the summer I'd go Boston

How long does it take to see historic Philly on foot? Like 3 days?

Also is Philly some kind of subtropical paradise or is like 10 degrees warmer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 12:53 PM

4,292 posts, read 2,146,411 times
yes; (/r/inclusive-or).

Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,043,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
How long does it take to see historic Philly on foot? Like 3 days?

Also is Philly some kind of subtropical paradise or is like 10 degrees warmer
Philly us bigger idk. It's also warmer , like 5 degrees warmer with significantly less snow and wind. And yes technically its climate is "humid subtropical"

Old 02-20-2019, 01:23 PM

4,255 posts, read 2,142,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerguy View Post
I know thereís probably been other threads about these cities, but Iím not interested in living in them. I just want to know which out of two I should go back too and visit for 3 nights or so. Iím really interested in American History, Architecture, and museums. I been to both cities once and loved them, but I canít decide which one I should go back too. I know they both also had great neighborhoods to see.

If you loved them both then you can't go wrong. Philly is really easy to see on foot. Especially if you stay near the historic district. I also think it has better food choices and is cheaper.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:25 PM

2,856 posts, read 1,327,513 times
Quote:
Philly us bigger idk. It's also warmer , like 5 degrees warmer with significantly less snow and wind. And yes technically its climate is "humid subtropical"
I reality. I don't think weather is a huge factor if both have winter. Sure one gets more snow events. 5į difference is no deal breaker.

The case then can be made ... try DC instead in winter. Its 5į warmer yet and has plenty of Historic places, Presidential memorials and monuments, Capitol and WH too ... going waaaay back and FREE museums to spend 3-days and Spring comes even earlier.

Last edited by DavePa; 02-20-2019 at 01:42 PM..

Old 02-20-2019, 01:40 PM

1,854 posts, read 1,867,805 times
Quote:
Meh...The historic part of Boston can be seen in like 2 hours on foot. Honestly not much to do for 3 days. In the winter I'd go Philly in the summer I'd go Boston
If youíre just walking by the historical sites and monuments, then maybe. If you want to stop into at least one museum along the way, then you definitely wonít be able to see everything in 2hrs.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 PM

1,568 posts, read 771,591 times
Quote:

We're doing all this over 5 degrees?

Also how long does it take to do Philly's historic district?

Old 02-20-2019, 03:33 PM

22,222 posts, read 31,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
We're doing all this over 5 degrees?

Also how long does it take to do Philly's historic district?

overall to me they are comparably sized; maybe Philly a tad bigger. Probably a few more historic buildings etc and a few more history museums I believe (probably very similar on other museums). Society Hill is a little bigger than Beacon Hill. North end ~ the size of Old City etc.

Honestly for their DTs I think the number of things to do are about as similar as two cities get.

On the temps here is my take as someone that has been traveling to Boston for work and leisure for 20 years and through all seasons. over that time probably average 8+ times a year

Winter - there is a significant difference albeit not huge. Philly is definitely milder in the winter. Its fall lasts longer and spring comes sooner (collectively maybe 45 more days combined). That said Philly has 45 more days of oppressive heat and humidity that I rarely find in Boston. Philly can be easily 96 with high humidity many days; in Boston they are much more rare

For whatever reason places like NYC (nearly identical weather to Philly) and DC are much more temperate (also way hotter in the summer) than Boston which to me feels more like Chicago. All are bearable but Boston is notable colder and snowier in the winter and not as hot (to me not a bad thing because 96 HHH in the city can be nasty)

to the OP; is there anything that you have not seen in either that you truly want to? that may help make the choice (both sound like great options for what you are looking for)

It sounds like you haven't been in a while; there are three newer museums in Philly including the National Constitution Center, National Museum of the American Revolution, and the National Museum of Jewish American History that have all opened up in the last 10 years or so

one other thing; if you enjoy Art the Barnes foundation moved their museum to the parkway (from the main line) next to the Rodin Museum which is the largest private collection museum in the US and largest collection of impressionist art outside of Paris and worth a visit

Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 PM

9,003 posts, read 9,160,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
overall to me they are comparably sized; maybe Philly a tad bigger. Probably a few more historic buildings etc and a few more history museums I believe (probably very similar on other museums). Society Hill is a little bigger than Beacon Hill. North end ~ the size of Old City etc.

Honestly for their DTs I think the number of things to do are about as similar as two cities get.

On the temps here is my take as someone that has been traveling to Boston for work and leisure for 20 years and through all seasons. over that time probably average 8+ times a year

Winter - there is a significant difference albeit not huge. Philly is definitely milder in the winter. Its fall lasts longer and spring comes sooner (collectively maybe 45 more days combined). That said Philly has 45 more days of oppressive heat and humidity that I rarely find in Boston. Philly can be easily 96 with high humidity many days; in Boston they are much more rare

For whatever reason places like NYC (nearly identical weather to Philly) and DC are much more temperate (also way hotter in the summer) than Boston which to me feels more like Chicago. All are bearable but Boston is notable colder and snowier in the winter and not as hot (to me not a bad thing because 96 HHH in the city can be nasty)

to the OP; is there anything that you have not seen in either that you truly want to? that may help make the choice (both sound like great options for what you are looking for)

It sounds like you haven't been in a while; there are three newer museums in Philly including the National Constitution Center, National Museum of the American Revolution, and the National Museum of Jewish American History that have all opened up in the last 10 years or so

one other thing; if you enjoy Art the Barnes foundation moved their museum to the parkway (from the main line) next to the Rodin Museum which is the largest private collection museum in the US and largest collection of impressionist art outside of Paris and worth a visit
Boston probably feels so much colder because itís really windy. And it does get more than 2x the snow Philly gets typically.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:08 PM

22,222 posts, read 31,520,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston probably feels so much colder because itís really windy. And it does get more than 2x the snow Philly gets typically.

its a little windier, not much winters are def colder though and summers hotter in Philly without a doubt

NYC, Boston and Philly are all actually windier than the windy city (even if that isn't the reason for the name)

the wind may feel worse in Boston because its colder in the winter (days are also a fair amount shorter) and because its further east the sun sets like seemingly 30 minutes sooner)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City