U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 10:57 AM

66 posts, read 45,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Miami, LA, Las Vegas, Nashville, New Orleans and to some extent Atlanta
Nashville...lot's of bachelorettes. Woo Hoo!!! is the official greeting downtown.

Last edited by JMT; 02-21-2019 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: violation of rules for posting images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 11:41 AM

960 posts, read 381,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHofKS View Post
Nashville...lot's of bachelorettes. Woo Hoo!!! is the official greeting downtown.
I have to say, I didn't find Nashville sexy when I went. Unless sexiness equates to somewhat trashy, wasted women running around with penises on their heads for bachelorette parties.

I can see why someone would think Nashville is sexy, in a weird trash way.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:43 AM

960 posts, read 381,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I think any city with its downtown on a huge body of water (i.e. Lake Michigan, or an ocean), looks sexy at dusk. The buildings are lit, but it's not completely dark. Love the twinkling twilight look, always. Two cities included here, would be Chicago and Milwaukee.
I LOVE Chicago and it's my home and hometown. There are so many things Chicago does well and is beautiful at. Sexiness is not one of them. Yes, it's certainly sexy when compared to it's Midwest neighbors, but when compared to Miami, LA, or NYC, it's not really a sexy a city. Rather it feels like the good wholesome boy next door, that is cute, innocent and nice. Milwaukee is like his also cute brother but less so, and a little more bland.

Miami is like the wickedly hot guy that walks into a cafe, and everyone turns their heads and he knows he's hot.

Last edited by JMT; 02-21-2019 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: language

Old 02-21-2019, 01:05 PM

8,598 posts, read 5,935,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Mostly warmer and southern coastal cities. The conditions make people want to wear less clothes, be less inhibited, and be more....frisky LOL. Miami is certainly a good model for the optimal conditions. There's also a certain European vibe mixed in there, due to many immigrants from around the world. People from less suppressed countries tend to like it there.

Cold and northern cities in the US, along with boring ones in the midwest and mountain west are the polar opposite.
Not at all. I don't know of anyone who has experience in Miami who thinks it has any sort of "European" vibe. It does not. At all. It is very much a large Latin American city in the USA. It's literally over 70% Latin.

Less suppressed countries? Have you heard of Cuba, DR and Haiti? The VAST majority (like, 75% or more) of Miami residents are either descendants or immigrants from those countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post

Miami is like the wickedly hot guy that walks into a cafe, and everyone turns their heads and he knows he's hot.
Pretty much.

Last edited by JMT; 02-21-2019 at 01:40 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 01:15 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,396,883 times
As someone from Southern California, I find Las Vegas sexy. Maybe it is where to go party, what happens in Vegas gets recorded on a cell phone and put on instagram you know that motto. People are just less inhibited and gamble themselves into bankruptcy,

Old 02-21-2019, 01:35 PM

1,670 posts, read 840,021 times
Quote:
I LOVE Chicago and it's my home and hometown. There are so many things Chicago does well and is beautiful at. Sexiness is not one of them. Yes, it's certainly sexy when compared to it's Midwest neighbors, but when compared to Miami, LA, or NYC, it's not really a sexy a city. Rather it feels like the good wholesome boy next door, that is cute, innocent and nice. Milwaukee is like his also cute brother but less so, and a little more bland.

Miami has no appeal, at all, for me. I've lived in Chicago and Milwaukee, and they are both cities that have a LOT going on. Nothing bland about either of them. You can't compare them to Miami, though, that's true, and for that, I am thankful.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:40 PM

2,610 posts, read 1,801,606 times
While predominantly Latin, there’s no shortage of Russians (Sunny Isles and Aventura especially), Canadians (full time or part time residents), and I’ve certainly run into my fair share of Turks (coming to Miami in greater numbers in recent years), Italians (be they from Italy, Venezuela and elsewhere), Germans, and French. A number of successful Euro retailers and restauranteurs have chosen Miami for their first US venture (Salt Bae’s Nusr-et; London’s Novikov; London and Dubai’s La Petite Maison; Italy’s Santa Margherita Winery's La Centrale) not to mention Euro investment (Richard Branson investing in Brightline rail; David Beckham upcoming soccer team and new stadium and Porsche and Aston Martin brand extensions via first ever luxury Miami condos bearing their names).

Miami is first and foremost a Latin city, but it is more than just Latinos, ex NY’er’s and Canadian snowbirds who live here and/or exert their influence and footprint.

As for your assertion 75% of Miami is from Cuba, DR and Haiti can you cite your source?...I’m showing only 41% from those 3 countries , but that is from a nearly 18 year old study...clearly many Brazilians, Colombians, Venezuelans, Peruvians, Argentines, Puerto Rican’s, Spaniards, more Northeast US transplants (Miami is often affectionately referred to as NYC’s sixth borough), Russians, Canadians, among others, call Miami home.

I am showing European ancestry accounting for nearly 12% of Miami’s population per the 2010 census (that’s not even including the hordes of Euro tourists who vacation here). Would not be shocked at all to see a higher population number when the 2020 census comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Not at all. I don't know of anyone who has experience in Miami who thinks it has any sort of "European" vibe. It does not. At all. It is very much a large Latin American city in the USA. It's literally over 70% Latin.

Less suppressed countries? Have you heard of Cuba, DR and Haiti? The VAST majority (like, 75% or more) of Miami residents are either descendants or immigrants from those countries.

Pretty much.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-21-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 PM

285 posts, read 162,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post

Miami city proper might be overwhelmingly Latin, but that is only less than 1/15th of the entire metro area. The Miami metro is 39% White Hispanic, 31% White Non-Hispanic, 21% Black and 9% other races. Add in all the European tourists and snowbirds (including French Canadians) and the picture looks much, much different. So many tourists come from dozens of Latin American countries to visit the Miami metro that it's almost unheard of.

NYC is pretty much the most diverse city on the planet and I'm sure you understand the relationship that these two areas have. It's surely not as simple as "Miami is literally 70% Latin." I would even go as far as saying that the NYC and Miami metros have by far the most diverse Latin populations in the entire world and many of these groups of people from around the globe congregate in the beach areas, just adding to the diversity in the most urban and popular areas.

Last edited by pinytr; 02-21-2019 at 02:32 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 02:02 PM

249 posts, read 68,927 times
Quote:
I have to say, I didn't find Nashville sexy when I went. Unless sexiness equates to somewhat trashy, wasted women running around with penises on their heads for bachelorette parties.

I can see why someone would think Nashville is sexy, in a weird trash way.
Venture outside of Broadway. People in Nashville tend to be pretty good looking and very friendly.

Not sure I would say Nash is "sexy" but it definitely hits that kind of yuppie thing that Austin does as well.

Miami, NY, and LA would be the obvious choices. Austin, Atlanta, Nashville, Las Vegas, Denver maybe(?), maybe even Dallas, might be a little below them.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:09 PM

8,598 posts, read 5,935,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
While predominantly Latin, there’s no shortage of Russians (Sunny Isles and Aventura), Canadians (full time or part time residents), and I’ve certainly run into my fair share of Turks (coming to Miami in greater numbers in recent years), Italians (be they from Italy, Venezuela and elsewhere), Germans, and French. A number of successful Euro retailers and restauranteurs have chosen Miami for their first US venture (Salt Bae’s Nusr-et; London’s Novikov; London and Dubai’s La Petite Maison; Italy’s Santa Margherita Winery's La Centrale) not to mention Euro investment (Richard Branson investing in Brightline rail; David Beckham upcoming soccer team and new stadium and Porsche and Aston Martin brand extensions via first ever luxury condos bearing their names).

Miami is first and foremost a Latin city, but it is more than just Latinos, ex NY’er’s and Canadian snowbirds who live here and/or exert their influence and footprint.

As for your assertion 75% of Miami is from Cuba, DR and Haiti can you cite your source?...I’m showing only 41% from those 3 countries , but that is from a nearly 18 year old study...clearly many Brazilians, Colombians, Venezuelans, Peruvians, Argentines, Spaniards, more Northeast US transplants, Russians, Canadians, among others, call Miami home.

I am showing European ancestry accounting for nearly 12% of Miami’s population per the 2010 census.

Not disputing that there ARE European immigrants in Miami. I am just a bit perplexed that someone would say it has a "European" vibe. A European vibe to me is a city that has large concentrations of specific groups in different parts of town, such as you can see in places like Montreal, Brooklyn, Boston, etc.
David Beckham owning a soccer team does not contribute to a European vibe any more than Brazilians owning OCSC makes Orlando Brazilian. It's an American league. An Italian man opening up his first large Italian restaurant in a city does not give it an Italian vibe. Local Italians are unlikely to ever step foot in these places, as those are not what they are used to in their home countries. Places with actual European vibes typically have wide arrays of stores and amenities that target the actual European immigrants -- not the American locals or tourists who are looking to splurge on a $60 plate of "authentic" Fettuccine.

As for the 75%, it's actually 70% Latino, with some close to 60% being Cuban. Over 5% of the population is Haitian or of Haitian descent.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...mi-home-n37241

One of the things I DO like a lot about it is the fact that it DOES feel like a Latin Caribbean city, pretty much all around. I've seen absolutely nothing there that gives off a European vibe. But hey, maybe it's just me. If others see such a thing there, good for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or