U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 02:13 PM

962 posts, read 385,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Miami has no appeal, at all, for me. I've lived in Chicago and Milwaukee, and they are both cities that have a LOT going on. Nothing bland about either of them. You can't compare them to Miami, though, that's true, and for that, I am thankful.
I never tried to compare Chicago to Miami, except for the category of the "sexiness vibe". Chicago blows Miami away in most categories. And who said that Chicago is bland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 PM

8,611 posts, read 5,944,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Miami city proper might be overwhelming Latin but that only less than 1/15th of the entire metro area. The Miami metro is 39% White Hispanic, 31% White Non-Hispanic, 21% Black and 9% other races. Add in all the European tourists and snowbirds (including French Canadians) and the picture looks much different. NYC is pretty much the most diverse city on the planet and I'm sure you understand the relationship that these two areas have. It's surely not as simple as "Miami is literally 70% Latin." I would even go as far as saying that the NYC and Miami metros have by far the most diverse Latin populations in the entire world.
Yes. I am aware of all of the above.
I just don't think European tourists give off the European vibe that we might see elsewhere.

The other areas of the Miami Metro feel just as Floridian-American as any other place in Florida. Chaotic areas with a mix of Northern transplants and poverty intertwined in a tourist-driven market. Miami itself (and immediate surroundings) is in a world of its own, and it's very much night/day from any other place in North America, including the rest of its own metro.

Like I said, if people are seeing a European vibe, that's on them. I was just expressing my opinion and experience, which is the total opposite of that.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:16 PM

2,623 posts, read 1,805,048 times
I guess it depends where one hangs...I don’t necessarily get an exclusive Latin vibe in SoBe—I get a combination of various vibes, including a little bit of Euro (maybe because I hang at some Euro based venues such as Baoli, Villa Azur, Sylvano’s, Sardinia Enoteca, Bal Harbour, etc which also attracts Europeans...Ditto vibe for Sunny Isles and Aventura—not exclusively Latino as well as some events (Art Basel, Miami Boat Show, some arts festivals)...I do get the almost exclusively Latin vibe on the mainland, however (though I usually run into a fair share of hot Eastern Euro models at Kiki on the River—Greek resto/Bar—whenever I’ve been there...not a bad thing )..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Not disputing that there ARE European immigrants in Miami. I am just a bit perplexed that someone would say it has a "European" vibe. A European vibe to me is an city that has large concentrations of specific groups in different parts of town, such as you can see in places like Montreal, Brooklyn, Boston, etc.
David Beckham owning a soccer team does not contribute to a European vibe any more than Brazilians owning OCSC makes Orlando Brazilian. It's an American league. An Italian man opening up his first large Italian restaurant in a city does not give it an Italian vibe. Local Italians are unlikely to ever step foot in these places, as those are not what they are used to in their home countries. Places with actual European vibes typically have wide arrays of stores and amenities that target the actual European immigrants -- not the American locals or tourists who are looking to splurge on a $60 plate of "authentic" Fettuccine.

As for the 75%, it's actually 70% Latino, with some close to 60% being Cuban. Over 5% of the population is Haitian or of Haitian descent.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...mi-home-n37241

One of the things I DO like a lot about it is the fact that it DOES feel like a Latin Caribbean city, pretty much all around. I've seen absolutely nothing there that gives off a European vibe. But hey, maybe it's just me. If others see such a thing there, good for them.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-21-2019 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 02:19 PM

912 posts, read 566,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Not disputing that there ARE European immigrants in Miami. I am just a bit perplexed that someone would say it has a "European" vibe. A European vibe to me is an city that has large concentrations of specific groups in different parts of town, such as you can see in places like Montreal, Brooklyn, Boston, etc.
David Beckham owning a soccer team does not contribute to a European vibe any more than Brazilians owning OCSC makes Orlando Brazilian. It's an American league. An Italian man opening up his first large Italian restaurant in a city does not give it an Italian vibe. Local Italians are unlikely to ever step foot in these places, as those are not what they are used to in their home countries. Places with actual European vibes typically have wide arrays of stores and amenities that target the actual European immigrants -- not the American locals or tourists who are looking to splurge on a $60 plate of "authentic" Fettuccine.

As for the 75%, it's actually 70% Latino, with some close to 60% being Cuban. Over 5% of the population is Haitian or of Haitian descent.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...mi-home-n37241

One of the things I DO like a lot about it is the fact that it DOES feel like a Latin Caribbean city, pretty much all around. I've seen absolutely nothing there that gives off a European vibe. But hey, maybe it's just me. If others see such a thing there, good for them.
I agree, it's a Latin city for sure but no European feel to it whatsoever. As an Italian myself, I can say that Miami has zero European feel to it, but it 100% has a Latin American feel. Plus 93% of immigrants come from Pan-American regions, which is insanely disproportionate.

Quote:
The County’s foreign-born population increased to 53.8% of the population, at 1.46 million residents. 93% came from Latin America.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

https://www.miamidade.gov/business/l...ar-profile.pdf

Old 02-21-2019, 02:33 PM

1,670 posts, read 840,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
I agree, it's a Latin city for sure but no European feel to it whatsoever. As an Italian myself, I can say that Miami has zero European feel to it, but it 100% has a Latin American feel. Plus 93% of immigrants come from Pan-American regions, which is insanely disproportionate.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=ca

https://www.miamidade.gov/business/l...ar-profile.pdf
Milwaukee is probably more European than Miami.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:55 PM

286 posts, read 162,629 times
Quote:
Milwaukee is probably more European than Miami.
Don't you mean more American? People that were actually born in Europe aren't heading to Milwaukee.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Don't you mean more American? People that were actually born in Europe aren't going to Milwaukee.
Sixty thousand foreign born...not too bad, for the size of the city.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Sixty thousand foreign born...not too bad, for the size of the city.
Yea 10% foreign born with very little European tourism. The same percent as Des Moines, Tulsa, Wichita and Boise.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Yea 10% foreign born with very little European tourism. The same percent as Des Moines, Tulsa, Wichita and Boise. Double
You know, I think you think you're being cute, here. You, clearly, have not been to Milwaukee....

Old 02-21-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
You know, I think you think you're being cute, here. You, clearly, have not been to Milwaukee....
Hey I like Milwaukee just as much as the next person. But facts are facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or