U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver or Pittsburgh
Denver! 23 51.11%
Pittsburgh! 22 48.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

29,759 posts, read 66,412,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey&raybans View Post
I know this comparison has been done a few times before, but I feel they are outdated and a lot has changed in recent years regarding QOL, affordability, etc...

Both cities are generally seen as mid-tier, four-season cities with beautiful natural settings. Please compare them based on the following criteria:
Interesting comparison. Thanks so much for initiating this thread!

Quote:
Natural Setting (arid vs humid vegetation, hills/mountains, etc)
I much prefer Pittsburgh's lush greenery. If we're going to have to endure cloudiness and/or precipitation the majority of the week, then we may as well enjoy the fruits of that, no?

Quote:
Climate (pros/cons of each season, min/max temps, variability, sunshine)
This is Denver by a long-shot for me. I don't mind cold, wintry weather and snow; however, Denver has a lot of winter days that are as such accompanied by sunny blue skies whereas those same days will be overcast and dreary in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Future setting/climate Desirability (i.e. resistance to climate change and all the associated problems - I don't see this one too often, but it's interesting to think about)
This is Pittsburgh by a mile. I don't know how so many others think a rapidly-growing city in an arid region is better-suited to endure climate change in the long-term than a stagnant city in a moist interior area.

Quote:
Traffic / Commute Times
Tied. Denver's traffic is probably slightly worse than Pittsburgh's, but Pittsburgh's traffic is much worse than it should be for a city of its size due to poor infrastructural planning.

Quote:
Housing Affordability
Pittsburgh. Not even close.

Quote:
Opportunities (Pay vs COL, job availability, upward mobility)
Draw. I've found upward mobility to be limited in Pittsburgh partially because our unusually large Baby Boomer population is refusing to retire and free up managerial positions for Millennials and partially because our city is extremely provincial/parochial (i.e. "Where did you go to high school?"). Then again if you're making $45,000/year in Pittsburgh you'll be able to rent in a better area of town in terms of walkability than in Denver on that same salary. I pay just under $1,000/month in rent on a 1-BR and can easily walk to my Downtown Pittsburgh office. Jobs seem to be plentiful in both cities.

Quote:
Urbanity (layout, continuity, etc)
Pittsburgh. You can walk from Downtown for miles---to the east especially---and still be in the urban core.

Quote:
Universities (quality, research)
Draw. Both have great institutions of higher learning. Pitt + CMU might give us an edge.

Quote:
Culture (museums, random street festivals, etc)
Draw.

Quote:
Brightest future
Draw. Denver's rising cost-of-living/relative unaffordability might cause its rapid growth to slow in the coming years. Pittsburgh is continuing to bleed residents despite thousands of new high-end rental units being built in the city in recent years.

Quote:
Where would you rather live?
Pittsburgh. Denver is too isolated. Most of the other major cities it is close enough to for a getaway suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,624,670 times
I don't want Denver to become Texas.

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

85,963 posts, read 100,701,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Me, neither.

Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

4,597 posts, read 1,785,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That will never happen. It would help though

Thumbs up to Pittsburgh

Old Today, 11:24 AM

21,118 posts, read 22,645,148 times
Setting / Climate - Prefer Pittsburgh settings, but I like Denver's climate more most of the time. I guess you can't have both.

Natural Setting (arid vs humid vegetation, hills/mountains, etc) - I really like hilly cities, so if this is about that, then Pittsburgh. Denver's mountains aren't far away, but they aren't actually in the city.

Climate (pros/cons of each season, min/max temps, variability, sunshine) - This is a lot of climate-y questions. It would be great if Pittsburgh were less cloudy.

Future setting/climate Desirability (i.e. resistance to climate change and all the associated problems - I don't see this one too often, but it's interesting to think about) - Probably Pittsburgh, but the thing with climate change is that even if the global average of temperature rises, the most disruptive part is large macro changes in climate patterns so it's hard to tell what happens in specific inland locations

Quality of Life - Pittsburgh given its high-paying jobs in my field and it's fairly low costs compared to Denver

Traffic / Commute Times - Given how jobs in my industry are lined up and the fairly low housing costs, it'd make sense that I simply live in a neighborhood that is a very short commute time hopefully without a car at all, so that'd be Pittsburgh. However, I'm guessing the topography and pattern of settlement for Pittsburgh means traffic can get quite bad, but then again, that's really about where you can/want to live and where your job is and I think if I moved to Pittsburgh, I'd skirt that.

Housing Affordability - Pittsburgh

Opportunities (Pay vs COL, job availability, upward mobility) - This probably depends on your specific industry and skillset and for me this is likely Pittsburgh

City Characteristics - Pittsburgh's development is generally pretty dense and mixed use due to the time period it boomed and its geography and that's preferable for me. It also seems like the neighborhoods all have some fairly distinct characteristics.

Urbanity (layout, continuity, etc) - Pittsburgh overall, though what's happened with the Hill District over the decades through urban renewal and disinvestment is awful

Universities (quality, research) - If college rankings and research funding are any indication, then definitely Pittsburgh

Culture (museums, random street festivals, etc) - Pittsburgh has a lot of museums and performing arts from its mighty past which probably tips it towards Pittsburgh

Your Opinions!

Brightest future - Hard to tell, really

Where would you rather live? - Pittsburgh

Old Today, 04:27 PM

160 posts, read 68,390 times
Setting / Climate

Natural Setting Pittsburgh - Green and the hills are in the city.

Climate - Denver - The powdery snow and sunshine are very nice (but it comes at a price... a lack of natural green)

Future setting/climate Desirability NA. I don't think there is enough information. Both are inland, but perhaps Denver will become drier? I'm not sure.

Quality of Life

Traffic / Commute Times Pittsburgh has less traffic (by a bit)

Housing Affordability Pittsburgh

Opportunities Denver

City Characteristics

Urbanity (layout, continuity, etc) Pittsburgh

Universities (quality, research) Pittsburgh

Culture (museums, random street festivals, etc) Pittsburgh IMO (it is close and a matter of taste)

Your Opinions!

Brightest future Hmm, Denver has kind of already "arrived" and is a over-saturated with people given its housing/infrastructure. Pittsburgh is rebounding, but still has plenty of housing to meet future demands. It's a matter of perception, but I'd give it to Pittsburgh

Where would you rather live? Pittsburgh. I personally prefer old Eastern cities. I like Pittsburgh's housing stock and history. I like its green hills and proximity to major East Coast cities. I am not personally a fan of booming sunbelt/Western cities.

Old Today, 07:14 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,350,740 times
Don't have time to weigh in on the various things but one thing I noticed these two both have in common is a pretty loud nightlife scene. Not talking about volume of music-- I mean people tend to talk very loud in nightlife settings in both cities. It can get annoying to the point its hard to have a conversation.. But overall for this category I prefer Pittsburgh's due to it seemed to me Denver's nightlife spots mostly had a sameness about them, where Pittsburgh's has many different settings, I guess mostly due to topography and history.

Old Today, 08:10 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I have lived in both, city and suburbs each.

Laughable. When my parents came out to visit, they always remarked on how clean Denver is.
Hmm, they must have missed the 2 days a week it smells like dog food / dead cats then. To be fair, Denver suburbs are pretty clean and high enough to get out of the haze. It's the NE quadrant bleeding into downtown that's dirty on multiple levels.

Some of the Pittsburgh burbs looked pretty grungy and dilapidated. It seemed like it depended on which valley. The whole downtown area seemed pretty clean though. It sounds like the city used to be very dirty back in the day.

Old Today, 08:44 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,350,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hmm, they must have missed the 2 days a week it smells like dog food / dead cats then. To be fair, Denver suburbs are pretty clean and high enough to get out of the haze. It's the NE quadrant bleeding into downtown that's dirty on multiple levels.

Some of the Pittsburgh burbs looked pretty grungy and dilapidated. It seemed like it depended on which valley. The whole downtown area seemed pretty clean though. It sounds like the city used to be very dirty back in the day.

Oh Chinese cities today look good by comparison to Pittsburgh's past... worst era was during WWII

https://www.pinterest.com/artbuff7/p...good-old-days/

Old Today, 09:15 PM

85,963 posts, read 100,701,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Actually, we lived in Denver proper when we first moved there (Sloan's Lake) and my parents first started visiting. And Pittsburgh's air is even worse than Denver's.
https://www.lung.org/our-initiatives...on,%20PA-OH-WV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City