U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:37 AM

893 posts, read 555,728 times

Advertisements

When I mean behind, I don't mean it in a negative way but rather which city is most behind when it comes to art scenes, urban development (like a downtown or transit) etc.. So for example city X has had an art scene since the 70s but city Y started in 2010. It may be cool for city Y but for the rest, it's more of a been there, done that type scenario. So which city in N.A do you think is behind? where they've built something or done something that has been done decades before in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 09:41 AM

376 posts, read 146,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
When I mean behind, I don't mean it in a negative way but rather which city is most behind when it comes to art scenes, urban development (like a downtown or transit) etc.. So for example city X has had an art scene since the 70s but city Y started in 2010. It may be cool for city Y but for the rest, it's more of a been there, done that type scenario. So which city in N.A do you think is behind? where they've built something or done something that has been done decades before in other cities.
Charlotte with their transit comes to mind.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 AM

8,494 posts, read 5,884,426 times
This is an interesting topic, and different from the usual.

I'll go on a limb here and say, maybe, LA? For a city of its size I find it to be severely lacking in basic urban infrastructure. (Same with Miami, but progress is being made there, and across Florida in general.)

Old 02-24-2019, 11:02 AM

4,032 posts, read 2,331,465 times
If a city is growing fast, it's entering a new peer group...should it be judged against the new peers or the old ones?

Old 02-24-2019, 11:27 AM

4,645 posts, read 3,687,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
If a city is growing fast, it's entering a new peer group...should it be judged against the new peers or the old ones?
The new ones.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:32 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,198,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This is an interesting topic, and different from the usual.

I'll go on a limb here and say, maybe, LA? For a city of its size I find it to be severely lacking in basic urban infrastructure. (Same with Miami, but progress is being made there, and across Florida in general.)
True. LA is definitely not the most “behind” city but for a city of its size, the 2nd largest in the country, it definitely is somewhat behind. That’s changing though with the transit expansions and Downtown development

Old 02-24-2019, 11:34 AM

In that case, take your pick. Seattle, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami lack some of the cultural depth, transit, etc. of the Philly/Boston/SF group were starting to identify with, which in some cases are also direct size comparables.

Same with Austin, Charlotte, etc., with their new peer group.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 AM

2,549 posts, read 1,779,608 times
Yup...not sure how Miami got lumped into this as well—not with the recent rollout of modern Brightline rail system, continued dredging and expansion of the world’s busiest cruise ship port, expansion/renovation of the Miami Beach Convention Center, addressing of flooding with city wide pumps, and continued major development from Coconut Grove to Brickell to Edgewater to Bal Harbour/Bay Harbour...Metro Mover, Metrorail and buses called “trolleys” in various neighborhoods are mass transit options also....and that’s just Miami—not even mentioning two other areas in its MSA—Ft Lauderdale and West Palm.

As for arts, Wynwood has been named one of the top hipster neighborhoods in the country, Coconut Grove has always been a funky/Bohemian neighborhood along with its annual Arts Festival, and The Design District continues to expand...oh, and there’s this minor worldwide event it hosts each December known as Art Basel (since 2002) not to mention the largest food and wine event in the nation taking place right now—SoBe Wine & Food Festival (since 2001)....Ultra Music Festival attracts 165,000+ people from around the world each March (going on its 20th year).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun...story,amp.html

It has made tremendous progress in the past 20-30’years and continues to grow from the shadows of the 1950’s-1970’s when it was a sleepy town that attracted elderly people from NY to spend the winter months as snowbirds.

Last edited by elchevere; 02-24-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 02-24-2019, 11:58 AM

5,271 posts, read 2,461,185 times
I don't know why Miami is being compared to other older cities , it's barely over 100 years old as it is.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:04 PM

As discussed above: "If a city is growing fast, it's entering a new peer group...should it be judged against the new peers or the old ones?"

As for Miami's case, those arguments sound like every other city's. Its transit, institutional cultural depth, etc., are like a new city, not a legacy city of similar size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or