Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 01:56 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
i think thats a great way for a city to become more pedestrian friendly. alot of other cities should start building some of their own and be creative with it.
Yes, but what I am saying is its a little TOO big for Omaha. It would look great in Minneapolis IMO.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:26 PM

64 posts, read 181,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Is this the same kind of pedestrian bridge that you see in downtown Minneapolis? If so it is pedestrian friendly in that it can help people avoid inclement weather while moving from street to street. But the downside to this is that it takes people off the sidewalks. At one time Hartford had a couple of these "skywalks" as they were called but they eventually removed most or all of these from over the streets. The primary reason I seem to recall is that it meant less pedestrians on the sidewalks. People just have to tough out the weather I guess. :-)
The pedestrian bridge connects Omaha to Council Bluffs over the Missouri river.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:14 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite eating tree View Post
The pedestrian bridge connects Omaha to Council Bluffs over the Missouri river.
3000 ft seems like a long why to walk just to get to "Council Bluffs"

I'll take the boat.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:41 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Just because with the pedestrian bridge, don't get me wrong, it looks great, but it is a pedestrian bridge that looks too big for Omaha, something I would expect to see in New York or something world-class. Besides that, Omaha has my favorite Plains State skyline.
1. Omaha is growing fast right now, by 2028 we are projected to have a metro of 2 million. We are one of 20 cities to have 5 or more fortune 500 companies and one of ours is the Second Richest. Our skyline is going to change a lot soon, we are building a 373 foot condo tower and Pacific Life is planning to build a tower downtown in place of the old Omaha World Herald building. There are rumors that we could also get a Hyatt Regency soon. We have twin condo towers and a very nice plaza near the the Pedestrian Bridge which apparently is "too good" for us. We could have a new baseball stadium for the CWS soon and it is near the "to good for Omaha" bridge. Finally we are also building a massive Retail/entertainment/Residential complex in mid town called the Mid Town Crossing.

2. Omaha is Midwest, it seems everyone east of Chicago thinks Omaha is plains, but the plains start west of Lincoln, maybe even at Lincoln.

If you want pictures of all of this go to the Omaha forum

Old 04-14-2008, 06:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I can't imagine Omaha growing at over 55% during each of the next two decades. That would leave cities like Atlanta, Dallas and Phoenix in the dust as far as growth rates. It would almost be to Las Vegas style growth.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I can't imagine Omaha growing at over 55% during each of the next two decades. That would leave cities like Atlanta, Dallas and Phoenix in the dust as far as growth rates. It would almost be to Las Vegas style growth.
Is it insane to you that any Midwest Metro besides Chicago can have a large amount of Growth or that any metro in the Midwest for that matter? This is Omaha's time, we are arent being affected that much by the recession and our economy is booming, our suburbs continue to grow and downtown is in its Renaissance.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Is it insane to you that any Midwest Metro besides Chicago can have a large amount of Growth or that any metro in the Midwest for that matter? This is Omaha's time, we are arent being affected that much by the recession and our economy is booming, our suburbs continue to grow and downtown is in its Renaissance.
This is not why. OMG. Why are so antagonistic?

Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 PM

910 posts, read 2,984,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post

hey Go Ne. your telling us the excact same thing about Omaha in 3 other threads, that omaha is growing just like chicago, keep it in one thread.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
The metro areas of Omaha (830,000), Lincoln (292,000) and Fremont (35,000) adjusted for their growth over 20 years and then added together.

Based on current population and geographic growth trends it's expected that these three cities will be combining into one continuous urban area within the next 10 to 20 years and that the overall population will be between 1.7 and 2 million people.

So the growth rate of these individual cities, while it is healthy (in the range of 10% or so each), is only part of it. The fortuitous (though some would argue that) proximity of these places to one another and the eventual coalescing of the three accounts for half of the over all growth (or rather the expansion of the metro from the POV of Omaha).

The interstate 80 corridor is already being painstakingly planned out in an effort to avoid terrible sprawl. *crosses fingers*

Old 04-14-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
hey Go Ne. your telling us the excact same thing about Omaha in 3 other threads, that omaha is growing just like chicago, keep it in one thread.

I never said Omaha was growing just like Chicago and If i need to defend my city on 4 threads to get my point across I will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City