U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 05:16 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,754,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfk View Post
lol ... is your only purpose on these boards to trash anything in California? We get it, your jealous...you have preconcieved assumptions,and you know nothing about our state, now shut up already
Are you braindead? I have stated how I lived there for awhile in many of my posts, so I have a good opinion of the dump. I will keep on sharing it too! If you don't like it tough, don't read it!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,522,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Are you braindead? I have stated how I lived there for awhile in many of my posts, so I have a good opinion of the dump. I will keep on sharing it too! If you don't like it tough, don't read it!
Its ok to have an opinion of it, but your constant bashing does kinda come across as trolling. I've seen you randomly on posts actually on the California boards just going to bash too. Its ok to have negative views, but really you should try not to just bash.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:08 PM

59 posts, read 148,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy924 View Post
how about this.

wanna be Chicago's.
2. Twin Cities, Minnesota
Woah, woah, woah, woah. Both of these cities have a DISTINCT cultural identity totally separate from Chicago.

The Twin Cities (Minneapolis, St. Paul) are in no way shape or form trying to become Chicago. Minneapolis has an amazing downtown and is second only to New York City in live theater per capita. In addition to that Minneapolis is known for it's awesome downtown and beautiful lakes (we have over twenty). Minneapolis is the most literate city in America. Not only that but we were once the milling capital of the world. Plus c'mon. Historically we've been known for our progressive politics and championing the rights of the working man. Not only that but we are also known for our acceptance of inter-racial couples and alternative lifestyles. Minneapolis is not a wannabe Chicago. It's Minneapolis.

St. Paul is an imitation of Chicago? Oh please. St. Paul is home to the Minnesota Wild. A thing we take pride in here the State of Hockey. F. Scott's Fitzgerald is from St. Paul. Charles Schulz grew up here. The African American civil rights movement may have been radically different if Roy Wilkins didn't grow up here. St. Paul is pretty much the birth place of heroes.

If anything Chicago wants to become Minnesota. We have far too many Chicago burnouts moving up here and wanting to start over here. Then they complain and say we're trying to imitate them. Ha!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 AM

909 posts, read 2,654,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Good for you! Omaha is a great city and people should see that. It doesn't matter how many threads you talk about Omaha in. Don't let other people push you around for it.

travel, ive never seen one like you before.. ive heard you say omaha lacks in things, and you just said in this forum that it tries to hard... interesting.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:28 PM

9,131 posts, read 11,669,486 times
Default Houston has the second largest live theater district if you aren't looking at per capita

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMarvin View Post
Woah, woah, woah, woah. Both of these cities have a DISTINCT cultural identity totally separate from Chicago.

The Twin Cities (Minneapolis, St. Paul) are in no way shape or form trying to become Chicago. Minneapolis has an amazing downtown and is second only to New York City in live theater per capita. In addition to that Minneapolis is known for it's awesome downtown and beautiful lakes (we have over twenty). Minneapolis is the most literate city in America. Not only that but we were once the milling capital of the world. Plus c'mon. Historically we've been known for our progressive politics and championing the rights of the working man. Not only that but we are also known for our acceptance of inter-racial couples and alternative lifestyles. Minneapolis is not a wannabe Chicago. It's Minneapolis.

St. Paul is an imitation of Chicago? Oh please. St. Paul is home to the Minnesota Wild. A thing we take pride in here the State of Hockey. F. Scott's Fitzgerald is from St. Paul. Charles Schulz grew up here. The African American civil rights movement may have been radically different if Roy Wilkins didn't grow up here. St. Paul is pretty much the birth place of heroes.

If anything Chicago wants to become Minnesota. We have far too many Chicago burnouts moving up here and wanting to start over here. Then they complain and say we're trying to imitate them. Ha!
I hear what you are saying as far as Minneapolis and St Paul...both cities have enough self confidences and pride to by their's own "City" and St. Paul
Isn't even trying to be "Like Minneapolis" in the least "Bit" more less "Chicago"

But on the other hand "Houston Texas" has the second largest live theater district.....but you are right when you factor in the per capita ranking...

Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 AM

395 posts, read 1,190,972 times
I'd like to concur on the Minneapolis theme.

EVERYONE i meet from minneapolis is like "omg, we're so artistic and hip...moving to chicago isn't an adjustment at all cause its not that much different than minneapolis". Minneapolis is a good city for its size, but come on people, you can't compare it to chicago. Minneapolis is ok, it's not like america's up and coming city either, and much overhyped. Yeah, uptown is alright, but seriously, chicago is mineeapolis X100.

Also, Kansas City is so overrated as well. Everyone keeps talking about it, about how much is going on...

But I wasn't impressed at all.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 AM

2,073 posts, read 4,850,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
EVERYONE i meet from minneapolis is like "omg, we're so artistic and hip
You have to live in Chicago to be artistic? Can't you be artistic in small towns like Astoria, Oregon - Cherryvale, Kansas, - Tipton, IA - etc.. Is the fact that you have bigger freeways and a taller downtown really going to change the people into these wonderful modern artistic people?

Actually, people I know from Chicago are just regular people. People are people. It's not like they were these professional scholars that are the Philosophers of our day...

As for being "hip" ... okay you have fun with that - I'm young and I'm not going to worry about it - I'd rather just enjoy my life being me. Your a$$ is going to sag soon enough.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM

4,296 posts, read 6,115,857 times
Atlanta to Los Angeles. I'm not sure they're "trying" to get to that point, it's just sort of happening.

San Francisco is trying to be European for some reason.

Charlotte is trying to be New York as a whole - not just the city. Likewise Columbia, SC is trying to be New Jersey.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:49 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaMarvin View Post

Hope the Wild have their golf gear packed and ready for use.

As for transplants from IL moving to MN, I can say the same for MN folks moving to IL. Not a day goes by where I dont see a dozen MN plates. Guess theyre bored of MPLS and want the big city.

In all honesty though, MPLS is a great city, and I can see why some Chicagoans would want to relocate there, its much slower and very nice.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:30 PM

1,817 posts, read 2,680,972 times
Omaha, definitely. I was born and raised there and the hype it seems to get on these boards is way out of proportion for such a bland, uninspiring, typical midwestern city. It may be growing and may have a good economy but that doesn't make it interesting or special. Everyone always brings up the "world class zoo" and the zoo is very nice, sure, but can't you come up with anything else? The Old Market is overrated as well. It has a few measly art galleries, a few nice shops and restaurants. What city doesn't at least have that much to offer? Beyond that, Omaha is still very segregated and mostly consists of endless suburbia and big box chain stores. Public transportation is a joke. I am not saying it's the worst place on earth, but the only things it excels at are being average and mediocre. How can people seriously use the word "great" to describe it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or