U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2013, 04:10 PM
 
Location: SoCal
1,243 posts, read 1,493,009 times
Reputation: 848

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
...and yet, Texas' unemployment rate is still over 6.4 percent, which yes, is lower than the national average, but it's nothing to behold. Texas is a giant sanctuary for American's who decide to escape overpriced regions like California, Florida, New York, and New England. It's not that many of these lowest common denominator citizens wanted to leave, it's that they felt it was their best option given the cost of living. How many of the jobs created in Texas are high wage and how many are low wage? California's GDP per capita is still significantly higher than Texas, yet, somehow Texas is the land flowing with milk and honey. Please!!

Further, the Northeast is an established corridor of mega-cities. Texas is still developing, with wide open spaces and lots of gaps even within its largest cities. Refer to population density per square mile.

Lastly, my original post was not referring to economics, it was referring to urban development, but you went there

PS... Here come the Texan's... such a ruthless and vengeful bunch
I have your back. lol Californians MUST stick together!

 
Old 05-25-2013, 04:13 PM
 
85 posts, read 120,000 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Considering Texas has created more than 40% of all the jobs in the country in the last 4 years and Texas by itself has grown more than the entire Northeast and equal to the entire Midwest, whatever they are doing is working.
Not sure you have to "try too hard" when you have stats like that.
Don't worry; most of the Californians who post on CD probably don't make very much money because if they did, they wouldn't be on here posting and be out living their lives.
 
Old 05-25-2013, 04:54 PM
 
Location: San Diego
926 posts, read 2,757,544 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
Don't worry; most of the Californians who post on CD probably don't make very much money because if they did, they wouldn't be on here posting and be out living their lives.
Since you want to know, I'm making about $25 an hour at my office right now typing this . $37 when overtime kicks in! Saturday's are very slow. I only work one Saturday every 6 weeks, which is fine by me, because the other 5, I use to enjoy my life

Don't be so quick to judge! Off in 7 minutes, adios
 
Old 05-25-2013, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
1,309 posts, read 2,264,612 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
Since you want to know, I'm making about $25 an hour at my office right now typing this . $37 when overtime kicks in! Saturday's are very slow. I only work one Saturday every 6 weeks, which is fine by me, because the other 5, I use to enjoy my life

Don't be so quick to judge! Off in 7 minutes, adios
Lol! Man, you're big timin' out there in California. All of us in Texas are only wishing we had it as good as you. I'll bet that money goes a loooooong way in "South Cali"
 
Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
9,832 posts, read 7,319,405 times
Reputation: 6288
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
Don't worry; most of the Californians who post on CD probably don't make very much money because if they did, they wouldn't be on here posting and be out living their lives.
Says the Northeast booster who has more banned usernames than posts--all of them bashing California.

Clearly living large, this one.
 
Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM
 
Location: San Diego
926 posts, read 2,757,544 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Lol! Man, you're big timin' out there in California. All of us in Texas are only wishing we had it as good as you. I'll bet that money goes a loooooong way in "South Cali"
I'm only 28. My career barely started fool... but since that poster, and now you, are so concerned with how much we make and how well our incomes are keeping up with our SoCal lifestyle, i'm open to sharing. i also have a side business.... and yes, the money IS going a long way. just bought a foreclosed home in san diego for $460,000 at a 3.375% 30 year fixed interest rate in January, and it's already appraised at $550,000.

What other questions do you want to know about me? Oh, that I just completed my MBA, 100% paid for by my organization? ...and that I'm due for a fat raise? Man, I'm bragging as much as a Texan.

Sorry for being so smug right now, but I have pride in defending myself when other's judge before knowing, especially a rude texan who lives in sprawlville yet thinks he lives in urbania. So there you have it!
 
Old 05-25-2013, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Aurora, Colorado
5,371 posts, read 7,657,321 times
Reputation: 4324
Lol at people actually thinking cities try to be another. It's only natural that places draw inspiration from another cities success. But does that mean they're trying to be that place? I don't think so.

On the other hand, there are cities that try too hard in general. But I think it's better to try hard than to not try at all.
 
Old 05-26-2013, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
654 posts, read 1,554,652 times
Reputation: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
...and yet, Texas' unemployment rate is still over 6.4 percent, which yes, is lower than the national average, but it's nothing to behold. Texas is a giant sanctuary for American's who decide to escape overpriced regions like California, Florida, New York, and New England. It's not that many of these lowest common denominator citizens wanted to leave, it's that they felt it was their best option given the cost of living. How many of the jobs created in Texas are high wage and how many are low wage? California's GDP per capita is still significantly higher than Texas, yet, somehow Texas is the land flowing with milk and honey. Please!!

Further, the Northeast is an established corridor of mega-cities. Texas is still developing, with wide open spaces and lots of gaps even within its largest cities. Refer to population density per square mile.

Lastly, my original post was not referring to economics, it was referring to urban development, but you went there

PS... Here come the Texan's... such a ruthless and vengeful bunch
Texas has also been growing explosively. To have a lower than average and dropping unemployment rate while gaining so many people is impressive.
 
Old 05-26-2013, 11:56 AM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 16,980,066 times
Reputation: 8981
Try going to the middle east or China if you wanna see cities that try too hard
 
Old 05-26-2013, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Chicago(Northside)
3,719 posts, read 5,858,152 times
Reputation: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Atlanta is the next Los Angeles
umm no

Indianapolis is trying to be the next Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top