U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2008, 04:33 AM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,373,591 times
Reputation: 401

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
If it's the next Detroit than it's succeeding.
It's not even thinking about being the next Tokyo, even though it should.
It is probably trying to be more like New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago.
How is it succeeding to be the next Detroit? I would have agree with you about the Atlanta city Proper back in the 80s, but too much of it has revitalized and turned around to even be compared to Detroit.

 
Old 04-10-2008, 05:11 AM
 
3,408 posts, read 8,477,913 times
Reputation: 1922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
How is it succeeding to be the next Detroit? I would have agree with you about the Atlanta city Proper back in the 80s, but too much of it has revitalized and turned around to even be compared to Detroit.
I was actually saying it jokingly. I myself don't think Atlanta is like Detroit, but many people, including posters on this website, have compared the two cities just because of the crime rates.
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 AM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,491,890 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
If it's the next Detroit than it's succeeding.
It's not even thinking about being the next Tokyo, even though it should.
It is probably trying to be more like New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago.
How in the world is it the next Detroit? Have you ever been to Detroit? Atlanta has been experiencing rapid growth within its city limits over this past decade while Detroit is losing population to its suburbs. Families of all backgrounds are beginning to send their kids to Atlanta Public Schools.

Its economy is way more diverse than Detroit's ever was--which was primarily auto manufacturing. When that tanked, Detroit suffered. When Atlanta's auto plants close, there are plenty of other industries here that keep the economy strong.
 
Old 04-10-2008, 07:55 AM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,491,890 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I was actually saying it jokingly. I myself don't think Atlanta is like Detroit, but many people, including posters on this website, have compared the two cities just because of the crime rates.
No, they compare them because they both have large populations of blacks. Even if they don't admit it, you know what they mean--either subconciously or through a "nudge, nudge, wink, wink".
 
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,020 posts, read 8,265,617 times
Reputation: 1785
Of all cities I have been to, I'd have to say Atlanta has the biggest identity issue. It is trying to be "NY of the south," LA with its sprawl, Chicago with its towers, and it seems to have Seattle, Dallas, and Houston envy all around. I like Atlanta, and part of my family lives there. But, it doesn't have the best idenity, and seems confused. The race issue in the city doesn't help. It doesn't want an extended rail into the suburbs, the traffic is getting awful, the sprawl detrimental, and what is with the aquarium downtown? The city does not have waterfront, so I guess that's the next best thing.
 
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 AM
 
5,639 posts, read 8,748,046 times
Reputation: 2352
In my estimation, out of all the cities I've visited I'd have to say that Kansas City acts a bit too big for its britches.

The people and place suffer from an inferiority complex thanks to living in the shadow of St. Louis. They are spending billions of taxpayers dollars on new entertainment, shopping and sports venues but that still can't cover up the fact it is an oversized cow town. Racial issues are still a real problem here too. Most of the residents that are not from the KC metro grew up in small farm towns in the region.

I've actually talked to local people that believe KC is on the brink of becoming a world class city! No kidding. The clincher was when I heard Len Dawson (former KC Chiefs Hall Of Fame QB) mention during one of his sportscasts on KMBC TV 9 that Kansas City was becoming a world class city. I knew then that these people have a much higher opinion of themselves and this place than does the rest of the country and the world.

Granted KC is a bit more lively and very slightly more sophisticated than a decade ago but I'd hardly classify it as a world class city. Visit a dozen different countries in various parts of the globe and take a grassroots poll among its citizens to find out which American cities they've heard of. I'd bet they'd mention NY, LA, DC, SF, Chicago, probably Bawston and possibly Miami and Atlanta. Most have not likely even heard about Kansas City. Maybe someday KC will become a world class city but certainly not in the next decade it won't.
 
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,491,890 times
Reputation: 1333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Of all cities I have been to, I'd have to say Atlanta has the biggest identity issue. It is trying to be "NY of the south," LA with its sprawl, Chicago with its towers, and it seems to have Seattle, Dallas, and Houston envy all around. I like Atlanta, and part of my family lives there. But, it doesn't have the best idenity, and seems confused. The race issue in the city doesn't help. It doesn't want an extended rail into the suburbs, the traffic is getting awful, the sprawl detrimental, and what is with the aquarium downtown? The city does not have waterfront, so I guess that's the next best thing.
How do we envy Houston, Dallas, and Seattle? Atlanta is very similar to Dallas and Houston, but it could never resemble Seattle--given its scenic setting near the lake, sound, and mountains. You have to explain that one to me.
 
Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Both coasts
1,580 posts, read 4,125,661 times
Reputation: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
If it's the next Detroit than it's succeeding.
It's not even thinking about being the next Tokyo, even though it should.
It is probably trying to be more like New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago.
why would Atlanta, of all places, think about being the next Tokyo? Of course it tries to be more like NYC or LA- they're in the same hemisphere!
 
Old 04-10-2008, 10:07 AM
 
Location: New York City
270 posts, read 771,399 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
How in the world is San Francisco trying to be like NYC or Amsterdam? San Francisco is good at being San Francisco. There isn't a city like it.
I like your spunk.
 
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,597,380 times
Reputation: 4457
Two words. Oklahoma City. Don't get me wrong, I like OKC for what it is but people there want so bad to be a Dallas or a Phoenix that it becomes absurdity sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top