Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Scranton, PA is trying to market itself as "Wall Street West" and even the next borough of New York City for that matter. We're just two hours from Manhattan, and the commuter sprawl has now reached our adjacent county of Monroe (Poconos). Scranton has been in steady decline for many decades succeeding the collapse of the anthracite coal mining industry and has only recently begun to undertake serious redevelopment initiatives in the past 5-10 years. We just landed the AAA farm team of the New York Yankees, we have a New York & Company, Jones New York, two Macy's, a Cold Stone Creamery, and for a brief time had a "SoupMan" (of Seinfeld fame) before it went out of business. There's discussion about reinventing an entire part of Montage Mountain to cater to NY tourists by building a new Yankees Stadium here as a replica of the old one in NYC, a large Yankees museum, Yankees-themed hotel, restaurants, shops, etc. with a trolley line linking it to Center City Scranton. I myself am joining this movement. I grew up watching Scranton trying to "do its own thing" while flapping around like a fish in a toilet bowl, so if we have to "try too hard" to become the next exurb of New York City, then so be it.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 04-11-2008 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 04-11-2008, 01:09 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
As far as the arguments about Atlanta are concerned, only 9% of your metropolitan population actually lives in the city. Doesn't that tell you something about the city's quality-of-life when 91% of North Georgia prefers to live in the suburbs? Even here in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, where I often kvetch about our "major" sprawl issues, about 20% of our residents live in the cities of Scranton or Wilkes-Barre. 1/5 of Greater Atlanta's population living in the city limits would be equitable to about 1,000,000 people instead of its current 500,000 out of 5.1 MILLION! You can pump up Atlanta's image all you want, but to me I'll always consider the fact that 91% of its residents live in a sprawled-out wasteland, which must mean that the city has some SERIOUS issues if nobody wants to live there.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:23 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As far as the arguments about Atlanta are concerned, only 9% of your metropolitan population actually lives in the city. Doesn't that tell you something about the city's quality-of-life when 91% of North Georgia prefers to live in the suburbs? Even here in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, where I often kvetch about our "major" sprawl issues, about 20% of our residents live in the cities of Scranton or Wilkes-Barre. 1/5 of Greater Atlanta's population living in the city limits would be equitable to about 1,000,000 people instead of its current 500,000 out of 5.1 MILLION! You can pump up Atlanta's image all you want, but to me I'll always consider the fact that 91% of its residents live in a sprawled-out wasteland, which must mean that the city has some SERIOUS issues if nobody wants to live there.

Not to say I don't agree with you but where I live (Boston area) only 10% of the metro population lives in the city itself? (500,000 out of 5 mil- the same as Atlanta) Is Greater Boston a "sprawled-out wasteland"?

Retorical question. It isn't.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
maybe there isnt any more room left in the city limits for Atlanta to add very much more popluation unless they build high-rise housing,but I dont know,I never been there.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:56 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
It's better to have civic leaders that try hard rather than ones who are complacent and maintain the status quo. It's normal to look to other cities for examples and ideas regarding economic development, growth management, and planning. A lot of cities are good at beating their chests and promoting themselves--such as my city of Atlanta--and others have chosen to remain insular and resistant to change.
I agree!

I'd love for my city to become more like Montreal. Yet, most civic leaders in my city don't even strive to become more like Rochester....better skyline, cleaner etc.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:32 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
MIAMI!!! The whole construction thing going on is just a waste and isn't experiencing that type of growth to be building as much as it is.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:40 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy924 View Post
how about this.

wanna be Cincinatti's
1. Louisville, Kentucky
2. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
You're wrong on both counts. I doubt any city would want to be like Cincinnati., certainly not Pittsburgh and Louisville is cool enough on it's own merits.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
[quote=tallguy924;3417155]how about this.

wanna be Dallas
1. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2. Waco, Texas
3. San Antonio, Texas
4. Fort Worth, Texas

Where did these two cities come from?O_o....San Antonio is completly different from Dallas and has it's own thing going on. Waco would've became one of Texas's most populist cities if it weren't for the tornado.

The only two cities on this list that make sense or Fort Worth and Oklahoma city.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:52 PM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
Default too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy924 View Post
how about this.

wanna be Chicago's.
1. Milliwauke, Wisconsin
2. Twin Cities, Minnesota
3. Detroit, Michigan
4. Indianapolis, Indiana

wanna be Omaha's.
1. Des Moines, Iowa
2. Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3. Quad Cities, Iowa/ Illinois

wanna be Kansas City's
1. Wichita, Kansas
2. Topeka, Kansas

wanna be New York City's
1. Boston
2. Atlanta, Georgia
3. Chicago, Illinois

wanna be Cincinatti's
1. Louisville, Kentucky
2. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Wanna be Seattle's
1. Portland, Oregon

wanna be Miami's
1. Orlando, Florida
2. Tampa, Florida
3. Virginia Beach, Virginia
4. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

wanna be Indianapolis
1. Fort Wayne, Indiana
2. Evansville, Indiana
3. South Bend, Indiana

wanna be Columbus, Ohio
1. Clevelend, Ohio
2. Dayton, Ohio

wanna be Atlanta's
1. Jacksonville, Florida
2. Birmingham, Alabama

wanna be Pheonix
1. Tucson, Arizona
2. Albuquerquie, New Mexico

wanna be Dallas
1. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2. Waco, Texas
3. San Antonio, Texas
4. Fort Worth, Texas

wanna be San Frasisco
1. Sacramento, California
2. Oakland, California

tallguy... dont you think you wrote a little too much that you could handle there? becuase half these things dont make sense. especially the San Antonio and Dallas. I dont think anyone wants to be Cinncinatti either.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
You're wrong on both counts. I doubt any city would want to be like Cincinnati., certainly not Pittsburgh and Louisville is cool enough on it's own merits.
i definently have to agree with this, in no way shape or form is Pittsburgh or Louisville trying to be like Cincinnati. They have similar characteristics from being located on the same type or terrain and same general area, but that's not being wanna bes or anything like that. They have the similarities but there not trying to be like cinncy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City