U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,756,498 times

Advertisements

JJG. KC does have great BBQ and plenty of good Mexican restaurants. It also has a couple of pretty good museums. But beyond that it is really a run of the mill metro area that hardly stands out from any other medium sized metro area of around 1.5 to 2.5 million people category.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:51 PM

9,131 posts, read 11,675,055 times
Default To me this was just a light hearted thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
How in the world is San Francisco trying to be like NYC or Amsterdam? San Francisco is good at being San Francisco. There isn't a city like it.
Chill out spade...this is not life and death....I Howest2008 said that San Francisco was trying to be like NEW YORK CITY.....NOW ISN'T NEW YORK CITY THE GREATEST CITY IN THE WORLD....

Last edited by Howest2008; 04-13-2008 at 10:13 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 09:57 PM

Default Look To The Skyline Young Man

[quote=El Rhino;3412796][quote=metro223;3411006]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Des Moines Iowa trying to be a Chicago Of The Plains

Agreed. I can't think of any examples of Des Moines attempting to follow in Chicago's footsteps. An argument for Des Moines trying too hard can be made, but I think the Chicago comparison is a very weak one.

If anything we just play "keeping up with the Joneses" with Omaha and MAYBE jock Minneapolis a little bit.
Look at the SKYLINE of your MegaMetropolitan Area and dream up some comparison with Chicago , could you imagine Des Monies having a
10 Million Metropolitan Population...........

Last edited by Howest2008; 04-13-2008 at 10:34 PM..

Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 PM

2,073 posts, read 4,852,144 times
[quote=Howest2008;3451895][quote=El Rhino;3412796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post

Look at the SKYLINE of your MegaMetropolitan Area and dream up some comparison with Chicago , could you amazine Des Monies having a
10 Million Metropolitan Population...........
This isn't making sense to me. Maybe it's just the way you type - but I'm very confused. Explain?

Not sure why it's showing up that I said that either.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:08 PM
JJG

12,908 posts, read 18,419,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
JJG. KC does have great BBQ and plenty of good Mexican restaurants. It also has a couple of pretty good museums. But beyond that it is really a run of the mill metro area that hardly stands out from any other medium sized metro area of around 1.5 to 2.5 million people category.
Well maybe, but I'd kill for Fort Worth to have at least an NBA franchise. Arena Football, MLS... hell, even WNBA would do right now, at least we could host the Women's Final Four.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 PM

Default I guess i'm the villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
by the way, how is san diego trying to be LA? San diego has neither the density, sprawl, mass slum area, entertainment value, politics, or fast paceness of LA. Just cuz the two are next to each other means nothing other then having similar weather and geographic topography, and sharing similar cultural ties, in this case, Mexicans, which is much more influeced in LA
I said that San Diego was trying to be like Los Angeles..."My Bad" Los Angeles is A WORLD CLASS ALPHA CITY and San Diego isn't so I thought that they just might be trying to be just a little more like Los Angeles...I guess that i was wrong.....

Old 04-14-2008, 03:52 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,756,498 times
JJG. Fort Worth is considered part of the Dallas-Fort Worth metro area. Odds are small they could ever land a team to call their own unless they build an arena or stadium to rival that of the Dallas venues. Not much different than the situation you have in northern Ohio between Cleveland and Akron. The smaller city sits in the shadow of its larger cousin and plays second fiddle.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 AM

1,992 posts, read 5,922,477 times
OKC is trying way too hard. Stealing another cities' storied basketball franchise in a desperate bid to be perceived as a "major league" city....tsk tsk.

Last edited by toughguy; 04-14-2008 at 10:29 AM..

Old 04-14-2008, 12:42 PM
JJG

12,908 posts, read 18,419,489 times
Well I gotta say this about Oklahoma City....
They're not stealing anything, really. It's all becuase the Sonics aren't building a new arena. It's sad to see a city like Seattle loose a team, but Oklahoma has proven that it CAN support NBA, with the Hornets.

Now back to what was said about Ft. Worth.
I know the city "shares" everything with Dallas. (I've lived in Ft. Worth my whole life. That's one of the first things you learn about the city.) And it was mentioned that Ft. Worth needed stadiums and arenas to rival Dallas... well the Ballpark in Arlington and the New Cowboys Stadium are in Tarrant County, which Fort Worth is the county seat. So you could say that the Rangers and Cowboys belong to us. But they dont, since Dallas stamps its name on everything in the area. Even the Texas Motor Speedway, which is in Fort Worth, is said to be in Dallas. WRONG! Everytime NASCAR came to town, the FOX commentators kept saying Dallas this and Dallas that, showing the Dallas skyline, and everything, all while barely mentioning Ft. Worth, the city the speedway is in.
Now I only wish we had just one sports team of our own. At least one.

BTW

"Not much different than the situation you have in northern Ohio between Cleveland and Akron. The smaller city sits in the shadow of its larger cousin and plays second fiddle."

I agree that Fort Worth plays second fiddle to Dallas like Akron to Cleveland, but the diffrence is: Akron (or even Cleveland) isn't as big as Fort Worth itself. The And I just want to say that every city in this country should focus more on trying to be the best for the people who live there, instead of trying to be the best, period. And I think Fort Worth does the latter.

Last edited by JJG; 04-14-2008 at 01:31 PM..

Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 PM

926 posts, read 2,759,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I said that San Diego was trying to be like Los Angeles..."My Bad" Los Angeles is A WORLD CLASS ALPHA CITY and San Diego isn't so I thought that they just might be trying to be just a little more like Los Angeles...I guess that i was wrong.....
in no way, shape, or form are they the same! san diego is world class in its own right, it doesn't need to be an alpha world class city to be special. it already is, and most people that know about san diego know that. it has its own identity; a world class beach destination with world class weather and world class living. yes, san diego does have an awesome night life both in downtown and in surrounding beach areas. a world class zoo and a world class urban park. world class may not be san diego's name, but it has its fair share of awesomeness, of course, if you know the right people, have the right income, and know the right areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or