Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Can you think of any cities that are trying a little too hard to become "cool," urban, etc, but just can't seem to pull it off? Places trying to imitate the successes of others, but end up going nowhere? Or do you believe just about any city can become the next Paris if they really want to?
No offense to Birmingham, but B'ham is failing miserably at trying to keep up with its southern peers. B'ham is actually building a 57,500 seat domed stadium for nearly $630 million . The funny thing is, this city doesn't have a pro-team.

At only 57,500 seats, B'ham can forget about the NFL. The NBA and NHL doesn't want a stadium/arena with that many seats. MLB? Well, you get my point. Here is the story.

Domed Stadium Coming to Birmingham - CBS 42

I'd say B'ham is suffering from Atlanta-envy way more than (wannabe Atlanta) Charlotte. In Charlotte's defense, it is actually succeeding at staying within 30 years of Atlanta.

This thread is about cities failing at becoming the object of their envy. With that said, B'ham gets my vote. I almost picked Charlotte, but after reading the OP's "trying to imitate the successes of others, but just can't seem to pull it off?" quote, I decided to go with B'ham instead.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
In my estimation, out of all the cities I've visited I'd have to say that Kansas City acts a bit too big for its britches.

The people and place suffer from an inferiority complex thanks to living in the shadow of St. Louis. They are spending billions of taxpayers dollars on new entertainment, shopping and sports venues but that still can't cover up the fact it is an oversized cow town. Racial issues are still a real problem here too. Most of the residents that are not from the KC metro grew up in small farm towns in the region.

I've actually talked to local people that believe KC is on the brink of becoming a world class city! No kidding. The clincher was when I heard Len Dawson (former KC Chiefs Hall Of Fame QB) mention during one of his sportscasts on KMBC TV 9 that Kansas City was becoming a world class city. I knew then that these people have a much higher opinion of themselves and this place than does the rest of the country and the world.

Granted KC is a bit more lively and very slightly more sophisticated than a decade ago but I'd hardly classify it as a world class city. Visit a dozen different countries in various parts of the globe and take a grassroots poll among its citizens to find out which American cities they've heard of. I'd bet they'd mention NY, LA, DC, SF, Chicago, probably Bawston and possibly Miami and Atlanta. Most have not likely even heard about Kansas City. Maybe someday KC will become a world class city but certainly not in the next decade it won't.

I've never felt like KC was in the shadow of STL, having lived in KC, been to STL, and been many places all over the world, i'd say KC is quite a bit better. But to the average person they won't notice the difference between the 2 cities except STL has a big arch, and our downtown is more lively and much bigger, plus the plaza. But I can see where many people would think KC might have that complex... me personally I have more a problem with KS (the fact that so many people think KC is in KS)

That said what makes a world class city?

Based on these charactoristics (and i'm not sure how many people would follow this)

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

KC meets maybe 2-3 of those. Not many cities in the US will meet those outside of NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, maybe Miami... I dunno.

So... world class? I suppose not based on those standards...

But it's got a great cost of living, great entertainment, not a far trip to a lot of great nature with the Ozarks, unique places and history, etc... I'd say it's highly underrated.

But yeah most people won't know it internationally.... from my experience most people internationally know of NYC and LA, and that's it... many people I met hadn't even heard of Chicago.

Think about it... think about how well you know other international cities? I can ask most people I know to name the top 5 cities in the England and they would say: London... and uh... Britain? (LOL sacrasm there of course) They don't have a clue about Birmingham or Liverpool.... it'd be easier if I said the UK and they could at least guess Glasgow... maybe Belfast (but doubtful), Edinburgh, Manchester... I dunno. I just doubt it. My favorite city in Europe most people I tell of have no clue where it is (Helsinki)...

Old 09-17-2009, 12:29 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Really? Since when??? Because if we are, than we sure ain't doing a good job at it.
Go on the Houston forum (oh wait, you're already there) and you'll find a bunch of people saying Houston's not trying hard enough.

I don't think Houston is trying to be LA, LANative. Maybe there are people from LA who have moved here, and they are trying to make Houston like LA. Big difference.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
What these cities try too hard at:

Philadelphia: A trailer park
NY: Babylon
SF: Never-Never land
Las Vegas: Hades
Chicago: The Untouchables
Boston: NY
LA: forever young
Miami: fun
Atlanta: New Jack City
New Orleans: Paris
Detriot: Pripyat, Ukraine
DC: Moscow

Old 09-17-2009, 12:54 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Can you think of any cities that are trying a little too hard to become "cool," urban, etc, but just can't seem to pull it off? Places trying to imitate the successes of others, but end up going nowhere? Or do you believe just about any city can become the next Paris if they really want to?
Baltimore

Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
Not even.

Ever heard of Manhattanization, coined by critics of Manhattan type development in the 60s and 70s.

Manhattanization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SF is the anti-Manhattanization capitol.
I think Boston may be the anti-Manhattanization capital...the very mention of a skyscraper in this city brings out NIMBYs like crazy. The reasons for not building skyscrapers range from wind tunnels to solar glare (whatever the hell that means). The city has even imposed an ordinance that bans new buildings to cast shadows on parks.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:12 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Lessons from this thread: If there are two cities that are remotely alike, the smaller of the two is AUTOMATICALLY trying extremely hard to be exactly like the larger one IE Portland -> Seattle, San Diego -> L.A. Milwaukee -> Chicago.

People, please. Use your brains.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:12 PM

672 posts, read 1,789,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think Boston may be the anti-Manhattanization capital...the very mention of a skyscraper in this city brings out NIMBYs like crazy. The reasons for not building skyscrapers range from wind tunnels to solar glare (whatever the hell that means). The city has even imposed an ordinance that bans new buildings to cast shadows on parks.
SF has had a ban on shadows on parks ordinance since 1989.

The Transamerica pyramid was supposed to be 1,150 ft before NIMBYs chopped off 300 feet from it.

Let's just say it's pretty bad in both cities, because I've seen Boston's skyline and development issues and admit that we share the same problems.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:58 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
It isn't the city that's trying to hard, it's the people in that city.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:03 PM

389 posts, read 902,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
they won't notice the difference between the 2 cities except STL has a big arch
Its The Gateway Arch or The St. Louis Arch or simply The Arch. Stop making light of a great monument. No one says a golden bridge or a liberty statue or a washington obelisk. They say The Golden Gate Bridge The Statue of Liberty and The Washington Monument so why can't The Arch be called by its name? People like to take jabs at St. Louis and too often its The Arch they disrespect. Please cut it out. The Arch is one of the great monuments in this country and should be treated with a little respect. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City