Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
in no way, shape, or form are they the same! san diego is world class in its own right, it doesn't need to be an alpha world class city to be special. it already is, and most people that know about san diego know that. it has its own identity; a world class beach destination with world class weather and world class living. yes, san diego does have an awesome night life both in downtown and in surrounding beach areas. a world class zoo and a world class urban park. world class may not be san diego's name, but it has its fair share of awesomeness, of course, if you know the right people, have the right income, and know the right areas.
The 50 Californmia Cities are in no ways alike and I have been in all of the Califonia Cities from Redding to San Diego...even if I would've said that San Jose was trying to be like Los Angeles because of the "Sprawl" I would've gotten the same "Stern" Correction...my train of thought was that if San Diego Improved in Leaps and Bounds it would be like LA because San Diego
isn't even listed on the 1999 List of World Cities...And LA is a Alpha City..I'm sure that San Diego is going to be on the next Wikipedia Listing of World Class Cities..

Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 AM

812 posts, read 4,083,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
my train of thought was that if San Diego Improved in Leaps and Bounds it would be like LA because San Diego
isn't even listed on the 1999 List of World Cities...And LA is a Alpha City..I'm sure that San Diego is going to be on the next Wikipedia Listing of World Class Cities..
But most San Diegans are quite happy that they're nothing like LA, and many are happy not to be on the list of World Cities... SD's had an aversion to becoming an LA or Bay Area-sized place since day 1. Overall it's very happy with the "hometown" mentality... SD folk know that what they've got in their backyard is great, and as far as most San Diegans are concerned, the fewer additional folk clogging the freeway, the better... and the lack of mention on Wikipedia's article of world class cities? Oh well...

Old 04-16-2008, 04:14 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
in no way, shape, or form are they the same! san diego is world class in its own right, it doesn't need to be an alpha world class city to be special. it already is, and most people that know about san diego know that. it has its own identity; a world class beach destination with world class weather and world class living. yes, san diego does have an awesome night life both in downtown and in surrounding beach areas. a world class zoo and a world class urban park. world class may not be san diego's name, but it has its fair share of awesomeness, of course, if you know the right people, have the right income, and know the right areas.
But they ARE the same in almost every way! Terrible traffic, out of control sprawl, flakey people, beaches, illegals, the way people drive act and talk. The only things that SD doesn't have that LA has are Hollywood and high level culture!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 PM

156 posts, read 631,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I've spent some time in Cincinnati and visited the Pittsburgh area quite a bit. I also know people in each of these areas. I don't get the impression that either city wants to be like the other. Topographically speaking they have similar terrain and architecture but Pittsburgh is still several hundred thousand people larger and strikes me as being a Northeastern city. Cincinnati is more a mix of Midwestern, South and Northeastern influences and seems content to march to the beat of its own drum. Certainly I don't hear the media in either location displaying much of an attitude towards the other metro area except perhaps when it comes to their respective sports rivalries. If anything Pittsburgh lives in the shadow of Philly and is often times compared by instate people with its larger cousin on the east coast.
agreed - cincinnati has no connection, or care about pittsburg whatsoever. That may come into play slightly more with louisville b/c it's more of a regional rivalry. I'm not even really sure where pittsburg is...

Old 04-16-2008, 01:10 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Default Cities that are trying too hard ??

Well, It seems like Los Angeles is trying real hard to become Mexico. And the Mayor is doing his best to see that happen.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:23 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I never said Omaha was growing just like Chicago and If i need to defend my city on 4 threads to get my point across I will

Good for you! Omaha is a great city and people should see that. It doesn't matter how many threads you talk about Omaha in. Don't let other people push you around for it.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
And in my opinion, Scranton doesnt try hard enough, seriously why dont they have skyscrapers?
It's because the dum-dums that are moving here in droves prefer McMansions, lifestyle centers, big-box stores, office parks, etc., even as gas prices rise to nearly $4/gallon right before their very eyes. They'll whine day after day about the "horror" of filling up their Escalades and Navigators as they commute solo between their homes on far-flung cul-de-sacs and their jobs downtown, but if you ask them why they don't just shut their yaps and either purchase a more fuel-efficient vehicle or move closer to the city you'll hear a resounding "mind your own business; it's a free country and I'll do/say whatever I want."

Phew! I'm obviously in an environmentalist mood this evening! LOL! Scranton would be AWESOME if they'd build UP instead of OUT!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:26 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Charlotte, trying to become the next Atlanta.
That would be my answer as well. Don't get me wrong, Charlotte is a nice city with many positives going for it, but it most certainly is trying way too hard to be a 'big city' when it is definitely not one.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Dallas and Houston are trying to become the new Los Angeles or San Diego...
Half the population is going kicking and screaming, the other half is dragging along those who are kicking and screaming.
It brings downfalls and benefits though... we have tended to get many professional Californians (especially those from LA and SD) coming here teaching us how to be Californians

Old 04-19-2008, 04:36 PM

145 posts, read 509,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
But they ARE the same in almost every way! Terrible traffic, out of control sprawl, flakey people, beaches, illegals, the way people drive act and talk. The only things that SD doesn't have that LA has are Hollywood and high level culture!
lol ... is your only purpose on these boards to trash anything in California? We get it, your jealous...you have preconcieved assumptions,and you know nothing about our state, now shut up already
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City