Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Biggest gap
Austin 14 16.09%
Denver 6 6.90%
Pittsburgh 16 18.39%
Minneapolis 7 8.05%
Denver 2 2.30%
Raleigh 10 11.49%
Phoenix 5 5.75%
Other 27 31.03%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 02:15 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,359,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm an elite snob and proud of it. Thanks.

I'll continue to walk to my office back-and-forth while others gripe about how long their commutes into the city in their ecologically-unfriendly SUV's take from the exurbs and how expensive it is to park Downtown. I'll continue to be one of the few and the proud 300,000 in my city that is surrounded by 2,000,000+ suburbanites, which is why we have some of the nation's worst traffic congestion.

For the record by the metrics of this forum I'm not even a middle-class American, as I make ~$45,000/year. Most on here seem to make $100,000+ and consider themselves to be "middle-class", which, I suppose, makes me "working-class".
You can live in a walkable area on that salary? Nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 02:17 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
You can live in a walkable area on that salary? Nice
A single person can live in a walkable area on that salary here too. There are numerous cities where this is possible. With families, things are quite different.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:46 PM

8,751 posts, read 6,668,618 times
The number of people living in walkable neighborhoods is much smaller than the number who seem to want to...that's why these places are typically expensive!

Obviously location choices have many factors, and people often put square footage, school districts, and other aspects first. But even then they tend to say they'd like their locations to be walkable.

As for "gaps," I'd say CD posters tend to think about urban issues beyond bumper-sticker one-liners. The general public doesn't seem to think about this stuff other than what directly affects them and maybe an (often false) "easy answer" that oughta happen to fix things.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:55 PM

92,014 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
A single person can live in a walkable area on that salary here too. There are numerous cities where this is possible. With families, things are quite different.
This and even in some cases with a family, it might be possible, if you know where to look. An area that is surrounded by census tracts within the income range: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1441...6!9m2!1b1!2i37

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-27-2019 at 03:18 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 03:09 PM

92,014 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
I'm an elite snob and proud of it. Thanks.

I'll continue to walk to my office back-and-forth while others gripe about how long their commutes into the city in their ecologically-unfriendly SUV's take from the exurbs and how expensive it is to park Downtown. I'll continue to be one of the few and the proud 300,000 in my city that is surrounded by 2,000,000+ suburbanites, which is why we have some of the nation's worst traffic congestion.

For the record by the metrics of this forum I'm not even a middle-class American, as I make ~$45,000/year. Most on here seem to make $100,000+ and consider themselves to be "middle-class", which, I suppose, makes me "working-class".
To put things into perspective, check this out: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/av...orkers-2060808

Are you in the U.S. middle class? Try our income calculator | Pew Research Center

Old 02-27-2019, 03:17 PM

10,493 posts, read 6,924,502 times
How about...all of them?

Old 02-27-2019, 04:12 PM

13,942 posts, read 14,818,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Very true. People visit parts of New England that are largely irrelevant to the majority of New England E
Area. Except Boston. And even then they're only going to a few spots.
I think I’d disagree with that other than Portland, ME, Non-Boston New England cities have like 0 defenders on CD.

Compared to Buffalo or Columbia or whatever places like Hartford, Bridgeport, Springfield or Worcester have few to no defenders.

Especially Worcester, which is just about the most inoffensive place in the country gets crapped on and people from MA are generally the worst offenders.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:11 PM

5,248 posts, read 5,957,593 times
Quote:

Internet discussion forums are cesspools of embellishment. This website in particular seems to be a magnet for people who have a need to over compensate. While I don't doubt there is a share of people who earn higher than average incomes on here, let's not give credibility to the frauds. You can spot them(and their lack of real life experience) pretty quickly by their over use of caricatured stereotypes.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:16 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,095,110 times
Quote:
Agreed 100%. I personally value urbanity, walkability, mixed-use zoning, etc.

Most Americans? As long as they can drive their SUV's to Walmart, work, and Applebee's in a relatively brief amount of time they're happy campers.
I wholeheartedly agree sir . But I think you're being too kind. Let's be honest - most Americans value crap. They treat our Earth like toilet paper and treat their own lives like a series of TV channels to flip through. It's just another failed civilization at the end of empire (similar to the Roman Empire). My recommendation would be to sit back, grab some popcorn, and enjoy the circus.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 PM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 11 days ago)

5,749 posts, read 5,506,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
How about...all of them?
True this...

Let me not exclude NY, a city most of us would agree needs no boost. There are parts of this country with a natural magnetism towards NYC (vast majority of which being on the Eastern Seaboard or Northeast), but the romanticism of New York is way toned down in real life outside of the net. On here though, there is a disproportionate number of NY groupies from all over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Internet discussion forums are cesspools of embellishment. This website in particular seems to be a magnet for people who have a need to over compensate. While I don't doubt there is a share of people who earn higher than average incomes on here, let's not give credibility to the frauds. You can spot them(and their lack of real life experience) pretty quickly by their over use of caricatured stereotypes.
Say that, sister!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City