Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Biggest gap
Austin 14 16.09%
Denver 6 6.90%
Pittsburgh 16 18.39%
Minneapolis 7 8.05%
Denver 2 2.30%
Raleigh 10 11.49%
Phoenix 5 5.75%
Other 27 31.03%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 02:00 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Lowell does have 2 full grocery stores Downtown. There is a furniture store, and 2 Clothing stores that I wouldn’t classify as botiques.

New England cities do tend to be better than other places with walkability. I’d rather live in Downtown Lowell without a car than Pretty much any city that has <1 million in its metro except maybe Omaha.
One thing that Lowell has going for it is there are a lot of small markets that are a step up from corner stores. This really helps with walkability in the neighborhoods.

That is fine though, only about 6-7% of the population lives downtown and it's some of the highest rents in the city.

I still stand by my statement that it's a chore to live there car free, even if it's not the worst in New England. I think I would pick a city like Savannah over Lowell to live car free - although I'm sure that city has its own share of problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 02:37 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Lowell does have 2 full grocery stores Downtown. There is a furniture store, and 2 Clothing stores that I wouldn’t classify as botiques.

New England cities do tend to be better than other places with walkability. I’d rather live in Downtown Lowell without a car than Pretty much any city that has <1 million in its metro except maybe Omaha.
There probably quite a few cities in metros with less than 1 million people that have similar qualities described here that you could go car free in. This is likely more common in the Northeast and Midwest.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:41 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
CD posters tend to inflate two kinds of cities:

(1) Hyper expensive elite coastal cities NYC, SF, Boston

(2) Bottom of the barrel cities overrun with crime and divestment St. Louis, Buffalo, Detroit

while overlooking or outright decrying cities in the middle.

If CDers were to build their own city it would probably look a lot like DC - a super expensive gentrified core surrounded by poverty and some of the highest violent crime rates in the nation (with a very nice metro system)

Old 02-28-2019, 03:43 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Other: Dallas is a lot better in person.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:16 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
CD posters tend to inflate two kinds of cities:

(1) Hyper expensive elite coastal cities NYC, SF, Boston

(2) Bottom of the barrel cities overrun with crime and divestment St. Louis, Buffalo, Detroit

while overlooking or outright decrying cities in the middle.

If CDers were to build their own city it would probably look a lot like DC - a super expensive gentrified core surrounded by poverty and some of the highest violent crime rates in the nation (with a very nice metro system)
I think with 2, those cities have been seeing investment in recent years. So, could play a part in that and those 3 vary a little bit in terms of crime rate, between them and within each city.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:45 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Other: Dallas is a lot better in person.
Dallas is one of the darlings on C-D and not well liked (to people I talk to) in the real world.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:49 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Pittsburgh. It definitely gets a solid amount of love on urbanity-oriented forums such as this, but IRL, no one talks about it that positively and many people still see it as a crime ridded dump in the middle of the Rustbelt. In fact, I'd go ahead and put Philly in the same category. Both PA cities don't get a lot of love in real life.

Austin, I hear positive remarks in and outside of urbanity forums.
Pittsburgh is praised in several QOL rankings if I recall correctly. My own experience there has always been very positive.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:12 PM

8,607 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think Houston gets its due, here. Austin doesn’t. I don’t know a lot about Phoenix, and no one I know irl speaks highly of it. Phoenix seems like a city of the 90s and ‘00s, to me.
Well, like you said, you really don't know a lot about Phoenix, so I'm not sure how it could "seem" like anything to you.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:23 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Dallas is one of the darlings on C-D and not well liked (to people I talk to) in the real world.
How in the world is Dallas one of the darlings of CD? People here love to hate on fast growing sunbelt cities, Dallas included. Dallas actually has a low number of posters for a metro it’s size, from what I’ve observed.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:28 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
How in the world is Dallas one of the darlings of CD? People here love to hate on fast growing sunbelt cities, Dallas included. Dallas actually has a low number of posters for a metro it’s size, from what I’ve observed.
I have no idea where he got that Dallas is one of the darlings of CD. It absolutely is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City