Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you like to live in?
Atlanta 94 54.34%
Nashville 68 39.31%
Either one 11 6.36%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 12:09 PM

37,789 posts, read 41,472,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I agree with this on some levels, and even somewhat with the age thing and changing but with some, it's just not as cut and dry as you would make it out to be. Example, these Cities aren't just Black and White anymore, they have a Hispanic, Asian, African, and many other cultures blended right in. Its how the layout of the populations are in Nashville that I have taken a liken to as well sooo I think even if I was in my 20's current day, Atlanta wouldn't do it for me but hey, that's me.
I'm not making it out to be "cut and dry" at all as I never said or implied that Nashville is an all White city or Atlanta is an all Black city. I don't know how many times I have to repeat this.

You can't say what you'd like if you were in your 20s today because you wouldn't have previous experience living as an adult that would shape your current day preferences and your upbringing would be completely different and much more technologically-driven, and that's just for starters. If you were all into integration in your early 20's like you are now, you wouldn't have liked living in Atlanta as it was a much Blacker city and less diverse region back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It wasn't meant to be listed for comparison purposes, just to de-myth the stereotype that Nashville is all white.
This is a strawman as nobody in this thread ever said that.

And why can't we compare those events to those in other cities? This very forum is dedicated to comparing and contrasting cities. I'm asking as an outsider for information purposes. If you don't know, you can say that; there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:45 PM

9,599 posts, read 9,197,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is a strawman as nobody in this thread ever said that.

And why can't we compare those events to those in other cities? This very forum is dedicated to comparing and contrasting cities. I'm asking as an outsider for information purposes. If you don't know, you can say that; there's nothing wrong with that.
There is no reason to take offense, and yes posters have absolutely minimized Nashville's black cultural offerings in the past. The events in other cities are not a part of this discussion. You should know that based on the title of the thread.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
There is no reason to take offense, and yes posters have absolutely minimized Nashville's black cultural offerings in the past. The events in other cities are not a part of this discussion. You should know that based on the title of the thread.
I'm not taking offense whatsoever and I'm talking about this thread, not anything that's happened in the past in other threads. And let's just take the events in other cities out and focus on the Atlanta events. How do those Nashville events objectively compare to Battle of the Bands, Bronner Brothers Hair Show, Atlanta Football Classic/Celebration Bowl, Atlanta Black Pride, SpelHouse homecoming, etc.? Note that Atlanta doesn't necessarily have the largest of each of these types of events so it shouldn't be an automatic assumption that similar events in smaller cities like Nashville wouldn't compare.

And the point that others may have been making in the past is that Nashville isn't much known for any big Black annual events (which it should be given the sizable HBCU presence alone) and that they are overshadowed by other events largely catering to more White populations.

Old 03-25-2019, 03:37 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,374,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not taking offense whatsoever and I'm talking about this thread, not anything that's happened in the past in other threads. And let's just take the events in other cities out and focus on the Atlanta events. How do those Nashville events objectively compare to Battle of the Bands, Bronner Brothers Hair Show, Atlanta Football Classic/Celebration Bowl, Atlanta Black Pride, SpelHouse homecoming, etc.? Note that Atlanta doesn't necessarily have the largest of each of these types of events so it shouldn't be an automatic assumption that similar events in smaller cities like Nashville wouldn't compare.

And the point that others may have been making in the past is that Nashville isn't much known for any big Black annual events (which it should be given the sizable HBCU presence alone) and that they are overshadowed by other events largely catering to more White populations.

Nashville has black culture because of presence of HBCUs like TSU, Fisk and Meharry. Of course it pales in comparison to places like Atlanta, Memphis, DC but I think there's enough for the average person if they aren't coming from one of the top tier cities for black culture.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:53 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,258,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Nashville has black culture because of presence of HBCUs like TSU, Fisk and Meharry. Of course it pales in comparison to places like Atlanta, Memphis, DC but I think there's enough for the average person if they aren't coming from one of the top tier cities for black culture.
Do people come there for black culture events? Not saying they aren’t there, but are they well-known to some sub-region of people outside the immediate area?

Old 03-25-2019, 07:24 PM

9,599 posts, read 9,197,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Do people come there for black culture events? Not saying they aren’t there, but are they well-known to some sub-region of people outside the immediate area?
Yes. As I pointed earlier, these events were listed as an FYI, not to say one is better than the other or to try undermine Atlanta's offerings. The fact that people still ask if Nashville is a good place for blacks just shows the city has a lot more work to do to promote the cultural offerings. The most well-known is TSU homecoming which does draw people from outside of the immediate area. Nashville, in general, is very weak at promoting minority businesses and culture. A good guage on whether or not a city promotes different cultures well can be found on the local news stations. Look at what events are always discussed, and which events are not. I attended the Fatai concert last Friday at City Winery and it was diverse for sure.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
That's what I was getting at. In Atlanta, you hear buzz about the CIAA tournament in Charlotte and Magic City Classic in Birmingham, but I don't really recall any buzz about any Black events in Nashville. HBCU homecomings are a bit ubiquitous in the South and happen around the same time and only a select few attract a good bit of non-alumni beyond their regions.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:54 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,445,528 times
Have to be honest, the excitement is definitely alive in Ca$hville if nothing else,,, Some big time names are in line headed to the City and it's continues....2020 and beyond looks more than promising for the City! https://www.newschannel5.com/news/mg...21-story-hotel https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...t-for-downtown

Old 03-26-2019, 07:59 AM

7,098 posts, read 8,866,617 times
Quote:
Yes. As I pointed earlier, these events were listed as an FYI, not to say one is better than the other or to try undermine Atlanta's offerings. The fact that people still ask if Nashville is a good place for blacks just shows the city has a lot more work to do to promote the cultural offerings. The most well-known is TSU homecoming which does draw people from outside of the immediate area. Nashville, in general, is very weak at promoting minority businesses and culture. A good guage on whether or not a city promotes different cultures well can be found on the local news stations. Look at what events are always discussed, and which events are not. I attended the Fatai concert last Friday at City Winery and it was diverse for sure.
Unfortunately, that has been a problem in many 2nd and 3rd tier cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City