Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you like to live in?
Atlanta 94 54.02%
Nashville 69 39.66%
Either one 11 6.32%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 09:34 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times

Advertisements

b
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Alpharetta (and Cumberland, to extent) have plenty of space. You don’t think this will extend into Gwinnet or East Atlanta//Decatur area over by Emory?

I live on the south side, but lots of employers do not want to utilize it just yet.
Well, yes and no.

Even if there is theoretically still land available, it's priced so high that developers either have to build luxury multi-family structures at rent levels no one other than tech workers or executived can afford (thus the $2K+ per month studio apartments going up all over Alpharetta) or sprawl all of the way out to Dawson County where the land costs are still reasonable for large single-family housing projects. they've been doing is building upward or multi-family housing.

And then there's the road infrastructure. It will eventually reach a point where it's no longer worth it to live in this area if every day, it's going to take 1-2 hours just to drive a mere 15 miles.

Modcut: Dallas is not part of this thread.

Last edited by JMT; 03-10-2019 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 09:37 AM

124 posts, read 101,804 times
I'm not really sure the two cities are comparable, as I think Atlanta might be twice the size of Nashville? Anyways, I like Nashville but I would have to go with Atlanta having to choose between the two.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:35 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,506,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
What's hurting Atlanta is the northward shift of its gravity of jobs (to Sandy Springs / Cumberland / Alpharetta). Most people want to be in close proximity to a plethora of employers in case they're laid off so they can job hop.

Thus for everyone who even considers moving to Atlanta, it's either crowding into these aforementioned northern suburbs or bust. Problem is, these areas are at full build out and there's very little room for them to absorb more growth, so the infrastructure is completely overwhelmed with traffic and the cost to live in these areas have become so expensive that people no longer find it's worth coming here.

That gravity either needs to shift back downtown or higher quality employmemt opportunities need to drawn to the South Metro. In the mean time, Atlanta's growth will likely slow down as the perks that once attracted people (low COL *AND* accessibility to good-paying jobs) are increasingly no more.

https://medium.com/@daringivens/thos...e-594096a1afd4

Goodgawd, that's not a city... it's a friggin state! No thanks! How much area does that cover? Suburban hell, much?

Old 03-10-2019, 08:52 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Goodgawd, that's not a city... it's a friggin state! No thanks! How much area does that cover? Suburban hell, much?
The image depicts a major metropolitan area, not a singular city in case you didn't know.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:14 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Welcome to Nashville in 2040 if things don't alter course.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:29 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
It has a pretty sizable urban core...

As for suburban hell, sure. But it's pretty much the development model of the modern sunbelt city. Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Tampa, Charlotte, San Antonio, etc. etc.

The list goes on.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:30 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
nashville - but in the suburbs. Pay around Nashville seems relatively high. Tennessee has no state income tax

Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
nashville - but in the suburbs. Pay around Nashville seems relatively high. Tennessee has no state income tax
As the state undergoes rapid development the way it is, people will begin to see the disadvantages of this. Have fun will everything turning into a toll road. Can't get around town here without paying tolls.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:42 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
As the state undergoes rapid development the way it is, people will begin to see the disadvantages of this. Have fun will everything turning into a toll road. Can't get around town here without paying tolls.
coming from the northeast , we have high state and local income taxes in addition to high tolls for bridges and hgihways. so i'll take no income tax , but pay for tolled roads.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
coming from the northeast , we have high state and local income taxes in addition to high tolls for bridges and hgihways. so i'll take no income tax , but pay for tolled roads.
This is true... But in the Northeast (I've spent considerable amounts of time there as well) at least you don't normally HAVE to drive.
I guess some prefer it the other way around though.

Then again, I grew up in Canada, where people were more than happy to pay copious amounts in income tax in exchange for basic necessities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City