Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you like to live in?
Atlanta 94 54.34%
Nashville 68 39.31%
Either one 11 6.36%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 11:19 AM

9,601 posts, read 9,201,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
As the state undergoes rapid development the way it is, people will begin to see the disadvantages of this. Have fun will everything turning into a toll road. Can't get around town here without paying tolls.
That's just it. The state is not growing much, only the Nashville/Middle Tennessee area is growing. They tried to pass tolls here several years ago and it was not accepted. Nashville has a good road network, but the problem is the roads are too small to handle the growth we are experiencing. The current network was made for a metro of 1 million. The other problem is the state's failure to plan for Nashville's growth in terms of light rail. Nashville has also failed to provide affordable housing in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 11:21 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
If you had asked me a week ago, I'd have voted Nashville. Now, Atlanta. Those new anti-LGBT bills being pushed in TN are a nono for me. Until that BS stops, Nashville is out for me. Which sucks, because I love the city.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:27 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,611,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If you had asked me a week ago, I'd have voted Nashville. Now, Atlanta. Those new anti-LGBT bills being pushed in TN are a nono for me. Until that BS stops, Nashville is out for me. Which sucks, because I love the city.
Same thing's happening in Georgia, unfortunately.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:59 AM

7,054 posts, read 16,632,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That's just it. The state is not growing much, only the Nashville/Middle Tennessee area is growing. They tried to pass tolls here several years ago and it was not accepted. Nashville has a good road network, but the problem is the roads are too small to handle the growth we are experiencing. The current network was made for a metro of 1 million. The other problem is the state's failure to plan for Nashville's growth in terms of light rail. Nashville has also failed to provide affordable housing in the city.
Then what is the answer for Nashville? How can it sustain this without proper infrastructure? At a similar juncture in the 1970s/80s, Atlanta built infrastructure....

Old 03-11-2019, 12:34 PM

37,792 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Then what is the answer for Nashville? How can it sustain this without proper infrastructure? At a similar juncture in the 1970s/80s, Atlanta built infrastructure....
Yep, which is why it's amusing that all these Nashville folks are talking about they don't want to be "another Atlanta." They're already in a worse situation and don't even know it; heck, as low density as Atlanta's urbanized area is, Nashville's is even lower. If Atlanta is "suburban hell," then what does that make Nashville?

Old 03-11-2019, 05:52 PM

367 posts, read 577,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep, which is why it's amusing that all these Nashville folks are talking about they don't want to be "another Atlanta." They're already in a worse situation and don't even know it; heck, as low density as Atlanta's urbanized area is, Nashville's is even lower. If Atlanta is "suburban hell," then what does that make Nashville?
Nashville's density numbers are a little misleading because 1/3rd of the county is very difficult to develop due to the terrain and another large portion is in a flood zone, due to the cumberland river zig zagging through the county. It's not like Nashville is full of housing tracts on former corn fields. The part where people actually live is denser than people would imagine.

Just look at the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Da...!4d-86.8220341

Old 03-11-2019, 06:22 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,480,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Georgia built infrastructure (i.e. highways) and people moved farther and farther out... to Timbuktu, Georgia. That will not be happening in Nashville. First off, growth for the sake of growth is not a business in Nashville like it has been in Atlanta for 50 years. That refrain "Not the next Atlanta" has been going on for 30 years. Atlanta is paying for that growth at any cost with sprawl and water shortages and a highly unlivable city in so many parts. The earlier post about everyone all the way out in Paulding and Gordon Counties wanting their acre and McMansion is true, and fortunately it's in the past. Atlanta's growth has been the proverbial two-edge sword... it's gotten all the bennies of being the 'first city of the South', but then it's gotten all the problems. MARTA is a cluster f--k, and the freeways are even worse. Nashville is already getting BRT, which many here undoubtedly would think is not glamorous, but it's already making a huge impact with smart corridors. They're not cheap, but they're not a boondoggle either. Plus, it spreads out the growth in a more radial manner. Look at the direction of the migration out of downtown... virtually all to the north. So you have all the 'mini downtowns' popping up in that chain along GA400 with offshoots to I-75 & I-85. That in itself is not a bad thing, but it's at the cost of downtown dying.

Nashville is dealing with it, albeit not as fast as other cities. But they recognize the need to expand infrastructure. They're about to expand the lanes on the inner loop and along I-440, but they'll never be the 16-lane behemoths that Atlanta built in the 80s. They will turn to rail in a few years. That effort is already underway, but the routes are the most contentious thing. Then the cost. Nashville will be over 800,000 people by the 2030 census. It takes about a ten year timeline to built out some light rail, but it will still be a minimal piece by 2030. Keep this in mind, Nashville leaders learned a lesson in the 70s/80s. They do not want to expand infrastructure just to help people in surrounding counties get in/out easier. That's why everything around the core is densifying fast. Very fast. Transit will come. But right now, they've made great progress with BRT. Very cost efficient, and remember that the greatest reason why Amazon, AB, E&Y, UBS, Oracle, Warby Parker, et.al. are coming to Nashville is because it is a reasonably affordable place to live.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
Nashville's density numbers are a little misleading because 1/3rd of the county is very difficult to develop due to the terrain and another large portion is in a flood zone, due to the cumberland river zig zagging through the county. It's not like Nashville is full of housing tracts on former corn fields. The part where people actually live is denser than people would imagine.

Just look at the map.

The development south of downtown along the 21st Avenue, 12th Avenue and 8th Avenue corridors over the past five years is astonishing. Nearly every block has multi-family in development. I believe the first light rail corridor will be down 12th Avenue with a tie-back down 8th and 21st Avenues.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post

Just look at the map.

Some estimates of density show that Nashville's 715,000 residents are spread out over 320 square miles. that's more than 2000/s.m.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
As the state undergoes rapid development the way it is, people will begin to see the disadvantages of this. Have fun will everything turning into a toll road. Can't get around town here without paying tolls.
In Tennessee toll roads are illegal.

One thing they will need to do, and it looks like the shift has begun with the core state power brokers all from Williamson County, is that rural areas will not be getting all the big projects like they used to get. Plus, the Improve Act was passed two years ago, and that's uncorked about $4billion in road projects. That pipeline is just now getting to the point where they're able to turn dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City