Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:22 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Chicago and Memphis
I definitely don’t get this. Polar opposites. Don’t get the connection at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 04:08 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Detroit and Atlanta, or actually more like Michigan and Georgia. I notice there are many people from Michigan who move down to Georgia because it's like a warmer Michigan.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:09 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
People from Memphis go to Chicago?! Never met many Memphis folks here.

If you mean many Chicago folks go to Memphis, that's just funny then.
It's not that funny. I have an uncle who is from Memphis but spent a significant part of his life in Chicago, worked on both the Memphis and Chicago PDs, as his father's side was from Chicago, and he has a bunch of siblings. The Chicago-to-Memphis/Mississippi link is strong, I think what you guys are seeing is Chicago is so large and diverse that from Chicago's perspective, it may be difficult to identify the root of a lot of its transplants (by "root" I'm specifically talking multigenerational, not only first generation Chicagoans)...

Also, this board wouldn't be particularly educated on the intricacies of black Chicago, because most black Chicagoans I've known have an awareness of this, even if they themselves aren't tied to Memphis or Mississippi...

Memphis is connected to St. Louis too, the aforementioned uncle is now in St. Louis, the midpoint between his two hometowns, and there are plenty of people in Memphis with St. Louis ties...

Memphis-->Little Rock, as well...

There are several ways to interpret the OP question. I think we all need to keep in mind, it's always easier to view the connection from the smaller city's perspective. Although I've been aware of NYers link to Miami, in real life I have never heard one NYer relate the kinship between NY and Miami as particularly close. But again, this is something that can be more easily viewed from Miami's end, because a bunch of places have as strong or stronger ties to NYC than/as Miami...

Sacramento: Oakland, San Francisco, Stockton, Reno

Richmond: Washington, Hampton Roads

Raleigh: Fayetteville, Eastern NC, Durham, Washington

Los Angeles: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Texas

Old 03-08-2019, 09:32 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I live in South Beach and the place is crawling with New Yorkers.
It always has been, even when it was a run-down dump in the 60s and 70s. But NYers travel farther afield than just Miami for their winter tropical fix these days, and tourists and second-homers from Latin America now outnumber the NYers (along with plenty of Europeans)..

Old 03-08-2019, 09:40 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
as is Philly at times called etc the 6th borough is probably either yonkers or Jersey City/Hoboken

also NYC and Philly have more people moving between than anywhere else
Interesting! Any speculation as to why this would be?

Old 03-08-2019, 09:48 PM

17,164 posts, read 15,373,458 times
After reading through this thread, I still do not see any place near comparable to NYC/Miami.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:04 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Interesting! Any speculation as to why this would be?
A lot of NYers move to Philly due to its much lower COL combined with its close proximity.

Back to Miami, I agree that NYC and Miami are very well connected. NYC <—> MIA flight route has to be one of the busiest in the world I’m guessing

Old 03-09-2019, 05:23 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,518,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Miami is NYC new playground use to be New Jersey

Well, New Jersey has become as expensive as New York City.....The property taxes are out-of-control, as is the automobile insurance, might as well stay in NYC, drive to the number 6th borough, Miami, and return back home..........

Old 03-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
More like NYC's old playground. New Yorkers been vacationing in Miami since the cities inception.
I have been spending the winter in Boca Raton, since 1980, and back to my NYC......Miami and Orlando have lots of people from the Bronx, NY.....

Old 03-09-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Miami is not a 6th borough

To New Yorkers.......it is......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City