Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overpriced Cities
NYC 98 45.58%
LA 92 42.79%
San Fran 149 69.30%
San Diego 56 26.05%
Seattle 86 40.00%
Portland 61 28.37%
Boston 85 39.53%
DC 72 33.49%
Philly 16 7.44%
Dallas 10 4.65%
Houston 6 2.79%
Austin 51 23.72%
San Antonio 2 0.93%
Phoenix 6 2.79%
Atlanta 13 6.05%
Nashville 23 10.70%
Charlotte 15 6.98%
Raleigh/RTP 7 3.26%
Charleston 7 3.26%
Toronto 54 25.12%
Vancouver 57 26.51%
Calgary 9 4.19%
Edmonton 10 4.65%
Montreal 20 9.30%
Miami 54 25.12%
Tampa Bay 7 3.26%
Jacksonville 4 1.86%
Orlando 8 3.72%
Columbus 7 3.26%
Salt Lake City 12 5.58%
Denver 67 31.16%
OKC 2 0.93%
St. Louis 3 1.40%
Indianapolis 4 1.86%
Pittsburgh 4 1.86%
Detroit 4 1.86%
Las Vegas 13 6.05%
Kansas City 3 1.40%
Chicago 21 9.77%
Other 7 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:56 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Chicago offers literally **ALL** of that for at least half the price.

A dilapidated shoe box in Manhattan for $5000 a month is overpriced no matter how walkable it is-good grief.
Those are few and far between, you can live in Manhattan in a nice place for much less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 12:15 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Denver isn’t expensive because of Denver per se, it’s because the city backs up to one of the best mountain playgrounds in the country. A point fairly obvious to the casual observer. jk

To your other point, the front range is a high plains desert with very little water, so development here is not at all “easy as hellâ€.
It’s not uncommon for a developer to be denied permits because they’re unable to prove a long term water supply.

Having said that, I agree wholeheartedly that the place is over priced.
Las Vegas and Phoenix are drier than Denver, yet they're a lot cheaper. I think even the Inland Empire is cheaper than Denver now.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:16 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You can always rent a car to leave a city. But designing all of our major metros and employment centers around it without accommodating for public transit and pedestrians has been a policy failure. Not to mention the environmental destruction and exacerbation of economic inequality.
Public transportation is a nice convince but personally I would hate having to rely on it every day. But is seems I'm in the minority on CD. Oh well.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:23 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Those are few and far between, you can live in Manhattan in a nice place for much less.
Good for them. SF is not so lucky and it's about to get much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times
Thousands of New Millionaires Are About to Eat San Francisco Alive

As Uber, Lyft, Airbnb and Pinterest plan to go public, California’s newly minted rich will be hungry for parties, houses, boats, bikes — and ice sculptures.

By Nellie Bowles
March 7, 2019

SAN FRANCISCO — Big wealth doesn’t come in monthly paychecks. It comes when a start-up goes public, transforming hypothetical money into extremely real money. This year — with Uber, Lyft, Slack, Postmates, Pinterest and Airbnb all hoping to enter the public markets — there’s going to be a lot of it in the Bay Area.

Estimates of Uber’s value on the market have been as high as $120 billion. Airbnb was most recently valued at $31 billion, with Lyft and Pinterest around $15 and $12 billion. It’s anyone’s guess what prices these companies actually will command once they go public, but even conservative estimates predict hundreds of billions of dollars will flood into town in the next year, creating thousands of new millionaires. It’s hard to imagine more money in San Francisco, but the city’s residents now need to start trying.

Welcomed finally into the elite caste who can afford to live comfortably in the Bay Area, the fleet of new millionaires are already itching to claim what has been promised all these years.

They want cars. They want to open new restaurants. They want to throw bigger parties. And they want houses...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/07/s...isco-rich.html

Old 03-07-2019, 12:24 PM

760 posts, read 882,785 times
With NYC/LA/SF being some of the largest cities with the best economies, I don't think those can be overpriced. Like...you get what you pay for, and those are world class cities.

I think the mid sized cities that have seen crazy growth in the last decade, however, are overpriced. Austin, Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Charleston. These places only seem to have gotten expensive because they grew faster than what they were planned for. If growth were business as usual, and the city actually built for it, they would have not seen such astronomical COL pains. Home prices tripling in Seattle and Denver, while experiencing it's typical historical growth rates (Denver at 2%), is certainly an anomaly, and the bad timing of low housing stock due to the last housing crash is certainly to blame.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
The operative words for me here are "worth it."

I lived in Portland, OR for decades. I moved a few years ago when the ever-increasing COL in that city became no longer worth it to me. I was paying a high price for the little I got in return.To others who live there it's obviously worth it to pay the price for whatever it has to offer them.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:57 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
With NYC/LA/SF being some of the largest cities with the best economies, I don't think those can be overpriced. Like...you get what you pay for, and those are world class cities.

I think the mid sized cities that have seen crazy growth in the last decade, however, are overpriced. Austin, Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Charleston. These places only seem to have gotten expensive because they grew faster than what they were planned for. If growth were business as usual, and the city actually built for it, they would have not seen such astronomical COL pains. Home prices tripling in Seattle and Denver, while experiencing it's typical historical growth rates (Denver at 2%), is certainly an anomaly, and the bad timing of low housing stock due to the last housing crash is certainly to blame.
San Francisco is a great city but its far from "world class" (in the same sense as NYC, Paris, London or Tokyo).

SF is more in the league of Chicago, Miami and Philadelphia; and thus should be priced accordingly.

When all is weighed in, SF is the most overpriced city (as reflected in this poll).

Old 03-07-2019, 01:01 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,326,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
San Francisco is a great city but its far from "world class" (in the same sense as NYC, Paris, London or Tokyo).

SF is more in the league of Chicago, Miami and Philadelphia; and thus should be priced accordingly.

When all is weighed in, SF is the most overpriced city (as reflected in this poll).
Agreed. Cities like New York, Paris, London, Toyko offer a experiences, cultures, economy, etc. that you cannot find or match anywhere else in the world. I do not find them overpriced. Is it worth it?, maybe not.

SF is 100% overpriced and not even remotely in the league of NYC for what it offers. I think Chicago and Philadelphia offer more than SF, and they are reasonably priced for their size.

Cities like Austin, Denver and a few others I find to be overpriced for basic sprawl-ish cities, even though they are affordable by New York standards.

I also haven't seen many mentions of Boston, that is another SF type city.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:05 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
I'd never live in California or NYC simply because the cost of living is so high. No matter how they have to "offer."

Old 03-07-2019, 01:06 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agreed. Cities like New York, Paris, London, Toyko offer a experiences, cultures, economy, etc. that you cannot find or match anywhere else in the world. I do not find them overpriced. Is it worth it?, maybe not.

SF is 100% overpriced and not even remotely in the league of NYC for what it offers. I think Chicago and Philadelphia offer more than SF, and they are reasonably priced for their size.

Cities like Austin, Denver and a few others I find to be overpriced for basic sprawl-ish cities, even though they are affordable by New York standards.

I also haven't seen many mentions of Boston, that is another SF type city.
I double agree. NYC just offers so much that it makes sense that its priced like that.

Good point on Boston. Also DC. I would say that SF, Boston and DC are the most overpriced in the US. When I mentioned to a friend I had plans of moving to LA or Miami from Chicago, he said why not Boston.

I was like why the heck would I do that?! I LOVE Boston, but it's a city that has less to do, smaller economy, and not as dynamic as a city like Chicago which is significantly cheaper. Not worth it to pay more to suffer the same type of winters in a city that has less to do than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City