Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 10:01 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Raleigh and Seattle.
Both are over 60% white
Well-Educated
Decant Rainfall
Light Amount of Snow during winter
Very big on transplants
Very tech-oriented
Those seem to be somewhat superficial similarities IMO. I think Austin and Boston make for better comparisons with Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 12:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
I actually find St Louis more like Memphis than any midwestern city since they're both predominately black, notoriously known for having country accents (Nelly Country grammar), pretty densely populated, big on BBQ, have high crime rates.

Very interesting comparison.

St. Louis Black population is 43% in the city and 18% in MSA.
Memphis is 63% city and 48% MSA.
Although they both have significant Black influence, Memphis is noticeably more. The demographics of St. Louis resembles Cleveland more so than Memphis. St. Louis evolved during the great migration.

The accents are nothing alike! I don't know where that thought came from. Similar accents can be found in southern parts of Illinois, Ohio and Indiana.

Both are tagged as dangerous cities. I feel safer in St. Louis than Memphis but that doesn't say much.

Memphis has many 50s and 60s ranch style homes within a five mile radius of Downtown where as St. Louis has more of a dense built environment similar to Cleveland or even Chicago. Memphis resembles a large small town St. Louis feels more like a small big city similar to Cleveland, Cincinnati and other midwestern cities. The density levels of Memphis and St. Louis are nothing alike. Memphis looks feels and acts totally midsouth or delta. St. Louis doesn't.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:06 PM

1,094 posts, read 808,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Those seem to be somewhat superficial similarities IMO. I think Austin and Boston make for better comparisons with Raleigh.
True but most people can see Boston and Seattle similarities just by both being at northern edge of their coast, both are very liberal, both on i-90, both are located in states that weed is legal. Whereas Raliegh most people would lump it with Atlanta or Charolette since it's a new south city but Raliegh has a lot more costal Northeastern influence due it being less than an hr from 1-95. Raleigh doesn't quite function like a typical southern city. The city is very cosmopolitan. Everytime I visit there I see tons of Asians and Hispanics. I know the same can be said for Charlotte but it has a much more southern feel due it being home to Nascar, Billy Graham and it's very much in the sun-belt whereas Raliegh is still on the cusp.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
True but most people can see Boston and Seattle similarities just by both being at northern edge of their coast, both are very liberal, both on i-90, both are located in states that weed is legal. Whereas Raliegh most people would lump it with Atlanta or Charolette since it's a new south city but Raliegh has a lot more costal Northeastern influence due it being less than an hr from 1-95. Raleigh doesn't quite function like a typical southern city. The city is very cosmopolitan. Everytime I visit there I see tons of Asians and Hispanics. I know the same can be said for Charlotte but it has a much more southern feel due it being home to Nascar, Billy Graham and it's very much in the sun-belt whereas Raliegh is still on the cusp.
Obviously NASCAR has a notable presence in the region but it's mostly relegated to the outskirts and Daytona Beach is the actual home of NASCAR. Raleigh is more atypical for a Southern city because knowledge-based/STEM/medical jobs are almost 100% responsible for its rapid growth and evolution over the past 40 years or so. None of NC's traditional industries (textiles, tobacco, furniture, etc) or more blue-collar industries like manufacturing or transportation/logistics, which tend to draw more people from surrounding areas for work, were ever truly big in Raleigh whereas for other cities, those industries had a significant presence before they began transitioning to a more service-sector economy. I'm not as familiar with Austin, but I think it's somewhat similar in that regard with UT and the tech industry and none of the oil companies having been headquartered there.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:14 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Washington D.C. and downtown Madison, Wisconsin. Probably because both cities have height limits, and the Wisconsin Capitol is very similar to the US Capitol.

I know it's sounds weird, but trust me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Wow, how strange. Poking around Google maps it does look like a miniature slice of DC got lost in Wisconsin. What's the story behind that?
Just to add: I showed a co-worker of mine that grew up in DC the Google Street View of Madison and asked where this was at. With out thinking he said "DC, of course" and then after a pause he was like "Wait, what?"

Old 04-01-2019, 03:30 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Baltimore and St. Louis due to both being separate cities from the county, similar racial demographics, both crazy for baseball, major industrial cities that suffered from deindustrialization and its effects, the feel that they were once very major cities but have taken a backseat to others that have grown faster, hyperlocal/provincial cultures, heavy migration from other regions in its early history - Appalachia and Southern US for Bmore; Southern US for St. Louis, similar built forms - I've always found STL to be dense for a Midwestern city not named Chicago.

Chicago and Los Angeles - Once you get past the Loop, the layout of Chicagoland reminds me a lot of Southern California/LA Basin in many ways. The mid-density type of development, the grid pattern, the expressways/freeways that criss-cross the area. A lot of Midwestern Developers migrated to Southern California pre WWII to develop much of the LA Basin.

Detroit and Los Angeles - The grid pattern layout, the reliance of freeways, the multipolar node development due to the manufacturing industry presence in both cities, the streetcar suburb neighborhoods and their density (both were developed around the same time and Los Angeles and Detroit both were the 4th largest cities in the US around the same time). Contrary to popular belief, a lot of the development and sprawl in LA started because of the Streetcar system, not the freeways - the freeways just exacerbated it.

Tampa and Phoenix - Sunbelt sisters yes, one is by the gulf, the other is in the desert but I've always found both cities to have a similar feel due to their size, amenities, economies, and people who relocate to each respective metro. Phoenix attracts more Southern Californians and people from Illinois, Minnesota, and the Great Plains while Tampa tends to attract more midwesterners from Michigan and Ohio and Northeasterners.

I'm trying to think of somewhere similar to Atlanta, but its mostly similar to other sunbelt metros, although I've noticed that the Philly suburbs (on the PA side) have some superficial similarities to Atlanta suburbs due to the rolling Piedmont terrain, but the similarities definitely end there.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:34 PM

905 posts, read 790,974 times
Agree on L.A. and Detroit. If you look at a map the similarities in layouts are striking, which goes along with the auto-centricity in both.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Columbus and Atlanta. They're both newish (growth wise) sprawling cities that I find rather bland.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Baltimore and St. Louis due to both being separate cities from the county, similar racial demographics, both crazy for baseball, major industrial cities that suffered from deindustrialization and its effects, the feel that they were once very major cities but have taken a backseat to others that have grown faster, hyperlocal/provincial cultures, heavy migration from other regions in its early history - Appalachia and Southern US for Bmore; Southern US for St. Louis, similar built forms - I've always found STL to be dense for a Midwestern city not named Chicago.

Chicago and Los Angeles - Once you get past the Loop, the layout of Chicagoland reminds me a lot of Southern California/LA Basin in many ways. The mid-density type of development, the grid pattern, the expressways/freeways that criss-cross the area. A lot of Midwestern Developers migrated to Southern California pre WWII to develop much of the LA Basin.

Detroit and Los Angeles - The grid pattern layout, the reliance of freeways, the multipolar node development due to the manufacturing industry presence in both cities, the streetcar suburb neighborhoods and their density (both were developed around the same time and Los Angeles and Detroit both were the 4th largest cities in the US around the same time). Contrary to popular belief, a lot of the development and sprawl in LA started because of the Streetcar system, not the freeways - the freeways just exacerbated it.

Tampa and Phoenix - Sunbelt sisters yes, one is by the gulf, the other is in the desert but I've always found both cities to have a similar feel due to their size, amenities, economies, and people who relocate to each respective metro. Phoenix attracts more Southern Californians and people from Illinois, Minnesota, and the Great Plains while Tampa tends to attract more midwesterners from Michigan and Ohio and Northeasterners.

I'm trying to think of somewhere similar to Atlanta, but its mostly similar to other sunbelt metros, although I've noticed that the Philly suburbs (on the PA side) have some superficial similarities to Atlanta suburbs due to the rolling Piedmont terrain, but the similarities definitely end there.
I disagree. The layout outside of the Loop works in different tiers. The inner ring neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lakeview, Pilsen, etc. are more aligned to what Boston, Philly, and Brooklyn/Queens is like.

It's not until you get the outer neighborhoods like Portage Park, Mayfair, Jefferson Park, where it starts to feel like LA.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Columbus and Atlanta. They're both newish (growth wise) sprawling cities that I find rather bland.
Have you visited any of Atlanta's intown neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City