Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best food in the Northeast after NYC
Boston 19 17.43%
Philadelphia 55 50.46%
Baltimore 7 6.42%
Washington DC 28 25.69%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 10:07 AM

36,899 posts, read 38,810,969 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia. Good and wide variety of eateries along with some interesting local unique dishes. I really like snapper soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 10:18 AM

724 posts, read 551,962 times
One thing I think DC has over Philly is the amount of international options because DC, being the epicenter of all the diplomatic missions and the area being more international in general simply has more of those kinds of options.

I haven't spent much time in Boston, but I've heard good things about the North End and clam chowder seems tasty. Plus I feel like it has the best seafood options out of the cities listed, not that Baltimore is a slouch in that department either.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:20 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
One thing I think DC has over Philly is the amount of international options because DC, being the epicenter of all the diplomatic missions and the area being more international in general simply has more of those kinds of options.

I haven't spent much time in Boston, but I've heard good things about the North End and clam chowder seems tasty. Plus I feel like it has the best seafood options out of the cities listed, not that Baltimore is a slouch in that department either.
What types of cuisines would say DC has over Philly?

Old 04-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
What types of cuisines would say DC has over Philly?
Philly people can definitely correct me on this because I haven't been to a bunch of restaurants there as much as I have been to the DC area (and my favorite place to go there is D'Alessandros), but I'd venture to say

Ethiopian
Somalian
Korean
Chinese
Indian
Salvadorian (in fact, I found a really good Pupuseria on U street the other day)
Peruvian
Mexican

Just off the top of my head. I come to this with the full understanding that individual restaurants there might be better than the ones here, but there's just more of it here.

However, that isn't to take anything away from Philly because their locally created options are super amazing. Of course Philly cheeseteaks is what everyone knows, but people are missing out on the Pork Rolls (not that I eat pork, but they look good), their stews, etc. Philly honestly is underrated in food in general.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:16 AM

21,427 posts, read 12,394,780 times
Baltimore. I say this after having lived in Boston and DC and frequenting Philly frequently. Cheaper rents allow restaurant to spend more money on better ingredients. Or at least that's my belief.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:54 PM

34,107 posts, read 18,350,139 times
I have been to all of them and maybe ten years ago I would have said D.C. but now it is definitely Philly.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:01 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Quote:
Philly people can definitely correct me on this because I haven't been to a bunch of restaurants there as much as I have been to the DC area (and my favorite place to go there is D'Alessandros), but I'd venture to say

Ethiopian
Somalian
Korean
Chinese
Indian
Salvadorian (in fact, I found a really good Pupuseria on U street the other day)
Peruvian
Mexican

Just off the top of my head. I come to this with the full understanding that individual restaurants there might be better than the ones here, but there's just more of it here.

However, that isn't to take anything away from Philly because their locally created options are super amazing. Of course Philly cheeseteaks is what everyone knows, but people are missing out on the Pork Rolls (not that I eat pork, but they look good), their stews, etc. Philly honestly is underrated in food in general.

I don't these well enough for DC to compare; they all exist in Philly

Chinese, Indian, Mexican, and Korean are all really good here

Philly also may now have the best Vietnamese on the EC

Old 04-05-2019, 02:21 PM

1,013 posts, read 897,085 times
Quote:

Hey Bubb I agree and they all have excellent food. And WDC has so much international flavor it’s really surprising to the first time visitor especially. I pick DC in a close race.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:59 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
Quote:

Ethiopian
Somalian
Korean
Chinese
Indian
Peruvian
Mexican

I wouldn't know enough to comment on Ethiopian, Somalian, or Peruvian. I haven't had the Korean or Indian in DC, but I've been to great restaurants of those in Philly. They both have Chinatowns with great food so definitely a tie there. The Mexican food in Philly is better IMO. DC gets the Salvadorian for sure. But Philly definitely comes out ahead on Vietnamese, Italian, and Jewish. I haven't had any Mediterranean/Greek in DC, but it's very good in Philly.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I wouldn't know enough to comment on Ethiopian, Somalian, or Peruvian. I haven't had the Korean or Indian in DC, but I've been to great restaurants of those in Philly. They both have Chinatowns with great food so definitely a tie there. The Mexican food in Philly is better IMO. DC gets the Salvadorian for sure. But Philly definitely comes out ahead on Vietnamese, Italian, and Jewish. I haven't had any Mediterranean/Greek in DC, but it's very good in Philly.
Yeah its hard to compare because very rarely do you visit a city and try out a bunch of different restaurants unless you live there. Then all it boils down to is "well, look at this census and demographically, we have X more than Y" and that doesn't tell you at all the quality of the food. I see that a lot on this website lol.

But yeah, that aside, Philly has us beat definitely on locally created food which is to me what should be valued way more. We don't really have a "signature dish" like a pork roll or a philly cheesesteak, but our crabs are good and so are the oysters. We're pretty underrated when it comes to seafood in general, and unlike Baltimore, we aren't quite as obsessed with Old Bay so you can actually taste the quality as opposed to something that may or may not be overseasoned. Not that Old Bay is bad, but there is such a thing as overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Hey Bubb I agree and they all have excellent food. And WDC has so much international flavor it’s really surprising to the first time visitor especially. I pick DC in a close race.
Yeah, I feel like for all cities, you have to really go out of your way to find really awful food, and those tend to be the chain places that exist in every city. DC's international options is what really sticks out to the visitor than anything else. Philly, everyone has mentioned already. Boston I don't know too much about because I've only been to a few places, but I imagine them to have the best seafood since they are right on the Atlantic and is next to major fishing sources off the coast and in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City