Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Worst: Wyoming, no civilization anywhere
from the top of my head:

Cheyenne, Casper, Jackson hole, Laramie (or something like that), and i think there's a cody. Those are modern civilizations. Although wyoming is the least populated state, it still has some cities. Although im sure you weren't literally speaking, but im just saying

Old 04-12-2008, 10:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
from the top of my head:

Cheyenne, Casper, Jackson hole, Laramie (or something like that), and i think there's a cody. Those are modern civilizations. Although wyoming is the least populated state, it still has some cities. Although im sure you weren't literally speaking, but im just saying
Also Sheridan, near Yellowstone Park. The U of Wyo is an excellent college. Some people from Colorado go there b/c they don't like the atmosphere at the U of Colo (too preppy).

Old 04-13-2008, 05:27 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
According to Forbes magazine

In Pictures: The Best Quality Of Life - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/07/10/washington-virginia-utah-biz-cz_kb_0711bizstates-life_slide.html - broken link)

Year 2006
top 10
Condensed;
1. Minnesota
2.Massachusetts
3.New Jersey
4.Connecticut
5.New Hampshire
6.Virginia
7.PA
8.Wisconsin
9.Ohio
10.Vermont

lowest 10
40. AZ
41. Alabama
42. Montana
43. South Carolina
44. Alaska
45. Arkansas
46. West VA
47. Mississippi
48. Nevada
49. Louisiana
50. New Mexico

Old 04-13-2008, 06:56 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post

In Pictures: The Best Quality Of Life - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/07/10/washington-virginia-utah-biz-cz_kb_0711bizstates-life_slide.html - broken link)

Year 2006
top 10
Condensed;
1. Minnesota
2.Massachusetts
3.New Jersey
4.Connecticut
5.New Hampshire
6.Virginia
7.PA
8.Wisconsin
9.Ohio
10.Vermont

lowest 10
40. AZ
41. Alabama
42. Montana
43. South Carolina
44. Alaska
45. Arkansas
46. West VA
47. Mississippi
48. Nevada
49. Louisiana
50. New Mexico
While articles about best and worst places to live may be interesting to read, these are only opinions given by the editor or the writer of the article. I don't view their opinion with any more credibility than mine. My favorite area of the country is the great plains, an area that no magazine article would rate very highly. Again, just opinion.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
While articles about best and worst places to live may be interesting to read, these are only opinions given by the editor or the writer of the article. I don't view their opinion with any more credibility than mine. My favorite area of the country is the great plains, an area that no magazine article would rate very highly. Again, just opinion.
Agreed. As I look at that list, I see states on the "best" list I probably would not consider (though maybe I should), and states on the "worst" list that I like. Montana, in particular, is considered very desirable by people who want to get away from it all.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:39 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
Best: California, if you have a good job
Worst: Wyoming, no civilization anywhere
It's interesting how people see things. I completely respect your opinion here and have nothing against it. This is how you see it and, personally, I hope you find a great job in California and are very happy there.

Personally, I see it exactly the opposite. I think Wyoming would be among the best states for the exact reason you placed it as the "worst." There are open spaces, lots of nature, room to breathe, and friendly folks. To me that is civilization.

I consider California as one of my worst places to live because I don't think they have any civilization anywhere. Northern California is an exception, from what I understand, but the rest of the state, especially southern California, lacks civility and is (when I lived there) a place where self-preservation is more important than helping a neighbor. Friends aren't made, they're auditioned and chosen based on where they work, what they drive, who they know and what they can do for you. It's more of a Wild Kingdom where only the cunning, rich and "beautiful" can survive.

Another way to look at the difference of opinions is that its the way a country boy and a city person see things. I like these differences. Shoot, if everyone thought the same way I did, everyone would live in Wyoming or Montana or South Dakota and the rest of the states would be barren!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post

Year 2006
top 10
Condensed;
1. Minnesota
2.Massachusetts
3.New Jersey
4.Connecticut
5.New Hampshire
6.Virginia
7.PA
8.Wisconsin
9.Ohio
10.Vermont

lowest 10
40. AZ
41. Alabama
42. Montana
43. South Carolina
44. Alaska
45. Arkansas
46. West VA
47. Mississippi
48. Nevada
49. Louisiana
50. New Mexico
I find the list interesting, too. As for Minnesota, I already live here and, while I can see why it's so high on the list, I'm trying to get OUT! It's a nice place to live, actually, and anything you want to do, you can do it in Minnesota. Whatever your dreams are, you can probably find the avenue to accomplish it here. I'm just tired of the city. The state politics (and the pushiness of the people with them) are frankly obscene to me. When it comes to politics here in Minnesota, people are RUDE and ruthless and have NO QUALMS about FORCING their views on other people and they're VICIOUS towards those whose opinions differ. From their's. If you are ANYTHING other than a staunch, 1,000% Democrat, who can hold off a pack of starving lions with your bare hands, you won't like Minnesota despite any of it's charms. (At least not in Minneapolis.)

As for the rest of the Top 10:
Massachusetts: No way.
New Jersey: Not for me.
Connecticut: Never
New Hampshire: Gorgeous, but it's close to being completely ruined.
Virginia: Not for me.
Pennsylvania: Too much trouble there.
Wisconsin: Has beautiful spots. Never in a city. Has an eeriness about it.
Ohio: No way.
Vermont: Beautiful but politically unlivable for me. States been ruined.

Out of the top ten, I think I'd stay in Minnesota, but move somewhere rural or remote and get far away from the Twin Cities.

As for the Bottom 10:
Arizona: Too hot and too many illegal immigrants. (Legals are fine!)
Alabama: Too far south for me.
Montana: It's on my Top 3 list for places to live.
South Carolina: No way.
Alaska: Is my #5 choice of places to live.
Arkansas: Not for me.
West Virginia: Not for me.
Mississippi: Never.
Nevada: Never.
Louisiana: Never
New Mexico: Had potential but is too hot and too much like Old Mexico.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:12 AM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
from the top of my head:

what i meant was that wyoming doesnt have a city with pop. over 100,000. not even close. and wyoming has very sparse population and towns. theres alot of states that have a county or two with more population than the state of wyoming.

but ill admit, i was exagerating a little bit

Old 04-13-2008, 11:18 AM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times
I'd love to live in Utah or Oregon

I'd never ever move to California, ever

Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 AM

910 posts, read 2,983,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
It's interesting how people see things. I completely respect your opinion here and have nothing against it. This is how you see it and, personally, I hope you find a great job in California and are very happy there.

Personally, I see it exactly the opposite. I think Wyoming would be among the best states for the exact reason you placed it as the "worst." There are open spaces, lots of nature, room to breathe, and friendly folks. To me that is civilization.

I consider California as one of my worst places to live because I don't think they have any civilization anywhere. Northern California is an exception, from what I understand, but the rest of the state, especially southern California, lacks civility and is (when I lived there) a place where self-preservation is more important than helping a neighbor. Friends aren't made, they're auditioned and chosen based on where they work, what they drive, who they know and what they can do for you. It's more of a Wild Kingdom where only the cunning, rich and "beautiful" can survive.

Another way to look at the difference of opinions is that its the way a country boy and a city person see things. I like these differences. Shoot, if everyone thought the same way I did, everyone would live in Wyoming or Montana or South Dakota and the rest of the states would be barren!

thanks simple living. i respect your oppinion too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City