U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 01:55 PM

4,469 posts, read 2,282,692 times

Advertisements

i thought we would enjoy this here:
https://www.axios.com/cost-of-living...5ef74f126.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 02:24 PM

464 posts, read 179,803 times
Surprised with how low Providence Metro and Raleigh/Durham are.

Also surprised how high Dallas and Houston are. Are they really more expensive than Atlanta, Raleigh and Charlotte?

Old 05-27-2019, 02:38 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,571,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Also surprised how high Dallas and Houston are. Are they really more expensive than Atlanta, Raleigh and Charlotte?
Dallas and Houston are more consistent. Atlanta's highs are higher but their lows are a lot lower.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:41 PM

18,671 posts, read 6,728,894 times
I'd like to know their methodology, because they make Phoenix seem cheaper than it actually is. $15/hr isn't that good here, despite being above the median. You need to make minimum $18/hr here to get close to buying a condo, more if you want a sfh

Old 05-27-2019, 03:40 PM

3,199 posts, read 1,095,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'd like to know their methodology, because they make Phoenix seem cheaper than it actually is. $15/hr isn't that good here, despite being above the median. You need to make minimum $18/hr here to get close to buying a condo, more if you want a sfh
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...here-you-live/

"These estimates are calculated by using data on “regional price parities,” or RPPs, for the nation’s 382 metropolitan statistical areas. The RPPs, developed by the federal Bureau of Economic Analysis, measure the difference in local price levels of goods and services across the country, relative to the overall national price level (set at 100)."

Old 05-28-2019, 08:22 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,722,309 times
I'm surprised that San Francisco has more purchasing power than San Jose.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:27 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,722,309 times
Quote:

The trouble with maps like this is that it doesn't show you a gradient within the colors themselves, and it doesn't account for the differences among parts of a metro area. So, if a city center is expensive, but it's suburbs are reasonable, it's going to just look at the overall story.
Then, if a metro has and overall purchasing power of $15.01, it's going to be in the same category as one that has $16.99.
While this is interesting, it doesn't tell the whole story. I'd rather see a more granular map with two core colors that represent opposite ends of the spectrum with gradients from saturated to pale for each, and with a neutral for places that are near the national median.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:35 AM

1,002 posts, read 626,895 times
Quote:

Why does that surprise you?

For the record, the Providence, RI metropolitan area is among the most economically depressed in the entire nation, and unfortunately, the metropolitan area has held this distinction for many decades. In fact, economists have dubbed the Providence, RI metropolitan area as a "FILO" economy: "First In, Last Out" of a recession. In short, the poor economic growth rates and chronically high unemployment rates in Rhode Island are largely due to the state's overall failure to attract new industry and, ultimately, diversify its economic base following the departure of the manufacturing industry over 40 years ago.

Here is the hyperlink to a recently published news article that explains the state's status as a "FILO" economy in slightly more detail: https://www.golocalprov.com/news/ris...ce-and-experts.

Old 05-29-2019, 04:08 AM

274 posts, read 112,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Why does that surprise you?

For the record, the Providence, RI metropolitan area is among the most economically depressed in the entire nation, and unfortunately, the metropolitan area has held this distinction for many decades. In fact, economists have dubbed the Providence, RI metropolitan area as a "FILO" economy: "First In, Last Out" of a recession. In short, the poor economic growth rates and chronically high unemployment rates in Rhode Island are largely due to the state's overall failure to attract new industry and, ultimately, diversify its economic base following the departure of the manufacturing industry over 40 years ago.

Here is the hyperlink to a recently published news article that explains the state's status as a "FILO" economy in slightly more detail: https://www.golocalprov.com/news/ris...ce-and-experts.

Honestly, that surprises me. It goes to show how little I know about Providence. I always thought of it is a mini-Boston in most regards, including economy.

I am also surprised to see Western MA have a lower CoL than most of the Twin Tiers of NY and PA, much of which are culturally Appalachian and have many economically depressed areas.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:06 AM

56,248 posts, read 80,408,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Honestly, that surprises me. It goes to show how little I know about Providence. I always thought of it is a mini-Boston in most regards, including economy.

I am also surprised to see Western MA have a lower CoL than most of the Twin Tiers of NY and PA, much of which are culturally Appalachian and have many economically depressed areas.
In terms of the last part of this post, it looks like they are about the same(Elmira and Binghamton NY and Williamsport PA areas)minus the Ithaca area, which makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or