Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:34 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
73,000 is a stretch as it represents a large area - Denver's CBD, LODO, Uptown, Capitol Hill, Five Points, River North, BallPark, CPV, Highland, Jefferson Park, Auraria, Sun Valley, La Alma / Lincoln Park, and Golden Triangle neighborhoods.

Last edited by YIMBY; 07-12-2019 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 02:03 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Somewhat better from Walk Score: Downtown Baltimore pop. 6,138
https://www.walkscore.com/MD/Baltimore/Downtown

Old 07-12-2019, 05:36 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
lol. 3.6K. So pathetic. Literally like 1/2 the population of smaller cities around the South like Greensboro, NC have around that or larger populations.

Obviously that's not such an accurate statistic.
One can always count of the topper for misinformation about Baltimore. The 3.6K is for the single Census tract that contains the majority of the traditional Central Business District. I know we are going back and forth about the proper way to count downtown population, but picking any single tract is a terrible point of comparison.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:54 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Somewhat better from Walk Score: Downtown Baltimore pop. 6,138
https://www.walkscore.com/MD/Baltimore/Downtown
I've literally had the best laugh that I've had all week thanks to you posting those downtown Baltimore population numbers.

They're not at all accurate, though.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:38 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
lol. 3.6K. So pathetic. Literally like 1/2 the population of smaller cities around the South like Greensboro, NC have around that or larger populations.

Obviously that's not such an accurate statistic.
And speaking of Greensboro - and as a Guilford graduate who used to wander around the crappy antique and mill end shops on South Elm Street in the 80's - I was impressed to see that Esri has the 1-mile radius population from 101 S Elm Street as increasing 70% to 20,820 since 2010. That almost doesn't seem possible!

Old 07-12-2019, 06:50 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I've literally had the best laugh that I've had all week thanks to you posting those downtown Baltimore population numbers.

They're not at all accurate, though.
36,000 is from Baltimore Downtown inc. which includes Mt. Vernon, East Harbor, South Harbor, Inner Harbor, Fell Point, West Baltimore, Camden Yard, Little Italy and basically the whole central Baltimore of more than 2 mile radius. This is not accurate, too.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:40 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
36,000 is from Baltimore Downtown inc. which includes Mt. Vernon, East Harbor, South Harbor, Inner Harbor, Fell Point, West Baltimore, Camden Yard, Little Italy and basically the whole central Baltimore of more than 2 mile radius. This is not accurate, too.
you're right, it is higher. The most recent article I found had downtown Baltimore at 45k, but downtown has grown a lot since than and still growing will all the new construction going on around there. With 414 Light Street, Della Notte site currently under construction, Harbor Point, the conversion of old building downtown into condos and Lofts, the 2nd tallest building being one of them. There is also several apartment building currently under construction in Federal Hill that are soon to be completed.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:22 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Center City is fine. Most of the city is a slum but I'd have no problem living around Rittenhouse walking to my office tower job.
Most of the city isn't slum. In fact the best Brazilian restaurant in the city I've found is some miles away from Rittenhouse at Caster and Unruh in Oxford Circle. There are more examples.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:27 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Most of Philadelphia being a slum is a massive exaggeration, though maybe it was true two or three decades ago.

UPenn and Drexel steadily pushed far into West Philadelphia as I heard that a couple decades ago, incoming students were sometimes unofficially warned to not go west of 40th street, but now quite a few newcomers go west of 50th street (excusing from this the northwest portion of West Philadelphia like Overbrook Farms, Overbrook Park, and Wynnefield which were not slums to begin with).

Center City pushed southwards into much of South Philadelphia and that's where some of the most interesting neighborhoods and restaurants are.

The Northwest neighborhoods mostly stayed alright, and the northeast is essentially suburbs.

North Philadelphia is probably the only pretty consistently rough part of the city, whereas the rest sometimes have pockets but are generally alright. North Philadelphia actually now has some decent pockets of areas that are pretty good.
You have literally ignored one 3rd of the city of Phila.'s physical area with this post. I.e. Fishtown and everything NE of it. Fishtown is absolutely booming.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It seems like a last ditch effort to make Philadelphia look good.
Whatever Center City Phila population is it should be increased by the 60,000 people and 50,000 college students that live in University City.

University City is 100 feet across the Schuylkill River from Center City . This neighborhood should arguably be included in Phillys growing downtown statistical area.

View of Center City from 750' FMC Tower just built in University City .

Philadelphia is the closest thing to Manhattan that there is. Even South Philly has population density of 40,000 ppsq.mi. Those are numbers rarely seen in the USA.

https://streetsdept.files.wordpress....2/img_7813.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-14-2019 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: copyright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City