Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities
New York City 43 23.63%
Los Angeles 31 17.03%
Chicago 20 10.99%
Dallas 60 32.97%
Houston 42 23.08%
Washington DC 58 31.87%
Miami 34 18.68%
Philadelphia 17 9.34%
Atlanta 47 25.82%
Boston 27 14.84%
Phoenix 22 12.09%
SF Bay Area 64 35.16%
Detroit 8 4.40%
Seattle 73 40.11%
Minneapolis 24 13.19%
San Diego 9 4.95%
Tampa 5 2.75%
Denver 45 24.73%
St. Louis 2 1.10%
Baltimore 2 1.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 12:12 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,023,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Well everyone we're almost there, as 2020 is less than 6 months away and a new decade begins.

So have at it, which cities since Jan 1, 2010 have truly moved the needle or increased their relevance or importance to the U.S. this decade?

(Cities ordered by MSA population, top 20)
From a casual observer's perspective I would say Charlotte, Nashville, and Austin have increased their relevance this decade. Other cities have grown/improved but haven't changed their status in my opinion.

I would just say with respect to Houston every decade the city has to overcome a hardship of some sort. In the 2000s it was Tropical Storm Allison and Hurricane Ike (and Katrina to a lesser extent with all the transplants from New Orleans). In the 2010s it was Hurricane Harvey and the O&G recession, and yet the city still stands tall and continues to get stronger in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 01:07 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
New York!...lol still a superstar. When I was younger I was under the impression that New York City Was Full and couldn't build anything else, And one of the few cities that didn't have to build another damn thing for another 10 20 years and still be in the Lead.

Shoot Could of Fooled Me, That City is Still Building, It's Skyscrapers going up Today!.....Geez How Many Skyscrapers can Manhattan Hold!!! Lol
My thoughts exactly!!! It really wouldn't hurt the city if it never built another tower again,lol,, The rest of the US would still have years to play catch up!

Old 07-12-2019, 02:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
San Antonio as a "superstar"...no. I'm in Texas and while SA has grown, its just nowhere near the growth of the other Big Metros when it comes to major corporate actions. SA is a tourism and military service economy, think San Diego without the ocean front.
Can't imagine why people would pick SA and not list Houston. Despite a slump in oil prices Houston has still posted the fastest grow rate of any top 20 MSA in the US and has grown faster than San Antonio and DFW.

Faster than Seattle, Atlanta, DFW, Denver, SF, San Diego, New York....
It didn't grow as fast as Austin percent-wise but it grew by twice as many people by raw numbers.
No other metro posted higher numbers than Houston this decade apart from DFW.
Houston has been a beast, despite the slow down

Old 07-12-2019, 03:29 PM

230 posts, read 286,288 times
I voted for Philly. I always vote for Philly.

But honestly a city that continues to impress me, is a city that a lot of people seem to hate: Houston.

I can’t believe that the only thing it has going for it is jobs, and that people don’t really want to be there. They must be doing something right. If nothing else, it has a genuinely interesting culinary scene that just seems to keep improving. And I seriously doubt that’s the only worthwhile cultural attraction.

If it continues to grow to it’s potential, and so far I see no reason that it won’t, it’s going to be a force to be reckoned with. It might force us all to reconsider our notions of “urbanityâ€, in much the same way L.A. defined it’s own unique urban model, detractors aside.

I always say that it’s probably not the place for me, because of the heat/humidity, and because I personally prefer more compact walkable cities; but that that’s a personal preference. It doesn’t invalidate other models of urbanity.

Only time will tell, but personally, I’m checking for Houston.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,356,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I wouldn't really say ATL has "declined", it's just not growing as fast as it was and there are other cities in proximity to it that have more relevance than they used to. ATL's peak as superstar status was probably the 1990-2008 time frame.
I would concur on both those observations. The airport, weather, several universities and cost of living will keep it as a Center of Southeastern commerce.

But one thing that I also meant to say is having Austin lumped as a mid-size metropolis because compared to the cities that were of the same size 10-15 years ago, the Texas capital has far surpassed the others in terms of population growth and corporate relocations. Austin may actually surpass 1 million residents by the end of 2020.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:00 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
In sheer number of people added, Atlanta is still growing faster year over year than every other southeastern metro. It's still pulling away from Nashville, Charlotte, and and the rest (other than Miami on which it's gaining). We could start talking about ATL's decline when those cities start adding more people year over year than Atlanta.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:45 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
In sheer number of people added, Atlanta is still growing faster year over year than every other southeastern metro. It's still pulling away from Nashville, Charlotte, and and the rest (other than Miami on which it's gaining). We could start talking about ATL's decline when those cities start adding more people year over year than Atlanta.
No one said Atlanta is declining. They pointed out.... it's not growing as fast from peaks a few years ago. Yes it has completion more and more too. That is part of their point.

Luckily they did not post these comments in the Atlanta forum.... just can't say more as to why ...

Old 07-12-2019, 11:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I think you have to look at more than just population growth, which actually tends to be a lagging indicator relative to economic growth, to determine how a city is performing. That said, in absolute terms, Atlanta is certainly not declining; however, relative to the region in which it resides, its status as the sole or premiere business center or host city for major events has certainly been challenged by rising competitors like Nashville, Charlotte, and the Triangle. This began happening some time ago, starting in the 90s I'd say, but the recession shook things up a bit more. There is more consolidation happening within certain key industries and at this point, that seems to have benefited Charlotte and Nashville more than Atlanta.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:02 AM

817 posts, read 598,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
NOTABLY Stepped up:
Austin,
Dallas/Fort Worth,
Nashville,
NYC
Seattle,
Denver
Columbus
Pittsburgh

Declined in relevance:
ATL due to competition from D/FW, Nashville and Charlotte. This link here says a lot - https://www.city-journal.org/atlanta-growth
Boston -really not declined but treading water;
Indianapolis - Meh
Florida as a whole- for a state of 20 million residents, the lack of large corporation HQs and innovation from there is astounding to me.
Silicon Valley - given the affordability issues, shifting jobs outside of Silicon Valley has made impacted its relevance.
I agree. Florida's economy is still almost entirely oriented around attracting northern retirees who want to spend and shelter their cash tax-free. And secondarily to tourism. Neither can create a diverse, stable, and forward-looking economy that supports robust business, research, and cultural investment. You can't attract families with arguably the worst schools in the country and other public investment, and if you can't attract families you can't build a broad economy. The crazy thing, though, is that Florida knows this and doesn't try to change it because, frankly, attracting old rich people and seasonal frat boys is enough to keep the engine going. It makes it an absolutely unbearable place to live, of course. And it is as dysfunctional as many of the people who live there. But in its own way it works and prevents any kind of change.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:39 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Seattle
San Francisco
Houston
Dallas Fort Worth
Austin
San Antonio
Orlando
Nashville
Charlotte
Denver
DC
Perfect but you have to add Raleigh-Durham that area exploded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City