U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite: Rocky or Appalachian mountains
Rocky 189 57.10%
Appalachian 142 42.90%
Voters: 331. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 11:39 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,547,090 times

Advertisements

Hey, are you guys literally and figuratively making a mountain out of a mole hill in here? Has anyone said that yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 11:45 AM

15,131 posts, read 17,084,042 times
Appalachians. I like the eastern hardwood forests and just the sheer amount of rivers running year round, lakes, ponds, etc.

I like the Rockies, too. I live in (or very near) them and have hiked, camped, and mountain biked thousands of miles through them. But size isn't everything.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:09 AM

22 posts, read 16,181 times

That's Brasstown Bald in GA, snowcapped in October.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,886 posts, read 40,714,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Ithaca though... that's a city I can't really explain. It's not huge per say but it's got a totally different urban atmosphere and general mind set from even the small towns right next to it. It is also much wealthier than any other southern tier city; I'd say mostly because of Cornell. It commands Tompkins county in people's minds but if you go just ten minutes south Tompkins is just like any other county in the area.

I am now curious as to how Ithaca/Cornell managed to thrive so much when its peer cities in the region struggled and continue to struggle. Seems terrain did not infringe on Ithaca much at all.
Looking up from wikipedia, Ithaca had a railroad route from Pennsylvania to the NY Great Lakes cities and Erie Canal, and it had some industry. So it wasn't completely isolated in the 19th century. Binghamton to Syracuse had a more convenient route, but Ezra Cornell poured money into Ithaca's railroad connections. Ithaca was less than half the size of Elmira in the early 1900s, but including the Town of Ithaca in the numbers (NY towns and cities are weird if it were in New England the city and town would be one municipality; cities/towns are all township sized here with no villages and cities within). is about 50% larger today. But yea, Ithaca's growth is all from Cornell and maybe there's been additional side businesses and transplants not-connected to the university. Few of them are from the Southern Tier itself.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:14 AM

405 posts, read 1,121,306 times
I don't know why the Appalachians look smoother and more 'pittoresque' / scenic than the Rockies. The Apps are reminding me of the Romanian Carpathians.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:19 PM

814 posts, read 914,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
You can see how severely folded and warped the ridge-and-valley region is in the central and south-central part of the state, with some really weird-looking mountain ranges,
The way those ridges are laid out sometimes creates valleys that are almost completely enclosed by mountains on all sides. Morrisons Cove, for instance, is like it's own little world, and there's some even more secluded pockets like the Kish Valley that are still largely inhabited by very orthodox Amish and Mennonite groups. It's very fascinating to me (as is Pennsylvania's topography in general, so thanks for that post!).

Old 09-16-2015, 03:10 PM

7,554 posts, read 15,614,866 times
Nostalgia makes me pick the Appalachians which I think get an unfair rap. Particularly the Northern Appalachians (Whites and other nearby ranges). I grew up skiing and hiking there. I still ski an occasionally hike there. I've traveled enough to have skied, hiked and seen much, much, much larger peaks (including the Rockies, Sierras, Cascades, Alps, Japanese Alps, and Himalayan foothills in India). That said, I still can't imagine how someone could be in the shadow of Katahdin, the Presidentials, or Franconia Notch and not be impressed. They definitely punch above their weight in some cases. The Rockies are the larger, grander, more impressive range. I'm partial to the Appalachians.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:03 PM

3,864 posts, read 4,490,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Looking up from wikipedia, Ithaca had a railroad route from Pennsylvania to the NY Great Lakes cities and Erie Canal, and it had some industry. So it wasn't completely isolated in the 19th century. Binghamton to Syracuse had a more convenient route, but Ezra Cornell poured money into Ithaca's railroad connections. Ithaca was less than half the size of Elmira in the early 1900s, but including the Town of Ithaca in the numbers (NY towns and cities are weird if it were in New England the city and town would be one municipality; cities/towns are all township sized here with no villages and cities within). is about 50% larger today. But yea, Ithaca's growth is all from Cornell and maybe there's been additional side businesses and transplants not-connected to the university. Few of them are from the Southern Tier itself.
Thanks for sharing that!

Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 PM

157 posts, read 220,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgdf View Post

That's Brasstown Bald in GA, snowcapped in October.
That's a beautiful photo! Southern Appalachian Mountains do have a different climate for sure!
It's hard to choose from Rockies or Appalachian since both mountains have their beauty.
Rockies are just like the word.."rocks" lots of Mountains in the area, a lot but some of them don't seem as high or majestic as the Mountains in the West Coast like Cascades or Sierra Nevadas.
So it's a tough call for me.. I mean yea in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico some of those peaks are real nice and tall but dont seem too high because for example ..Much of those Rocky Mountain states statewide is already at a high elevation even the Plains are "High" plains.
So Some peaks in North Carolina for example look just as big as the Mountains in lets say New Mexico or Arizona as far as elevation wise except North Carolina highest peaks are around 5,500 to 6,800 feet high.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 1,408 times
I know I'm very late, but here I go.

Honestly, I couldn't choose between any of them. I love both mountain ranges, have lived in both, and have spent a lot of time in both. The Rockies are rugged, jagged, with lots of rocks, white water rafting and hiking. It also has a lot of big game (which is why I go out there to hunt) and has a bunch of coniferous trees which clump together.

The Appalachians, on the other hand, are more smooth but can still be high up, are also good for white water rafting and ESPECIALLY rock climbing. The cliffs and huge fallen rocks which fall from the mountains give for perfect climbing opportunities. Hiking is also pretty awesome in the Appalachians. It isn't as challenging, but it's peaceful. As for vegetation, the Appalachians have dozens of different trees spread around, and look beautiful, especially in the fall.

Overall, both mountain ranges have their ups and downs, (see what I did there?) but I believe most are beautiful in different ways. The size of the mountains mean nothing to me. P.S, the people getting in arguments over which mountains are higher, which mountains are more beautiful and ****, keep it to your own opinions, please- even if it's a forum.

Last edited by Epicperson43; 05-29-2016 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City