Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite: Rocky or Appalachian mountains
Rocky 213 55.91%
Appalachian 168 44.09%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:16 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times

Advertisements

It's funny. Many compare the Apps to the Rockies, but I always considered the Cascades to be our true western counter-part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 10:57 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,920,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It's funny. Many compare the Apps to the Rockies, but I always considered the Cascades to be our true western counter-part.
No I think a better comparison would be the coast ranges, they are of similar height and are not volcanic and only the very northern part (Olympics) are glaciated.

Appalachian Mountains vs Pacific Coast Ranges (US)

Old 02-17-2019, 11:43 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Appalachians for me. People really need to stop thinking that the taller the mountain, the more scenic it must be.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
No I think a better comparison would be the coast ranges, they are of similar height and are not volcanic and only the very northern part (Olympics) are glaciated.

Appalachian Mountains vs Pacific Coast Ranges (US)
Yeah? I always thought the Cascades were coastal. I must've been confused.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Appalachians for me. People really need to stop thinking that the taller the mountain, the more scenic it must be.
Agreed. Ever hear of Driskill mountain? It's a series of hills in north central Louisiana. They are not very tall at all, but you'd be crazy not to find that area pretty as heck.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Compared to seeing the Rockies every day, Driskill is a bore lol.
And as far as the Appalachian mountains go, no way they compare to the Rockies. My favorite Appalachian range is the Blue Ridges and even they look like foothills to me now.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Compared to seeing the Rockies every day, Driskill is a bore lol.
And as far as the Appalachian mountains go, no way they compare to the Rockies. My favorite Appalachian range is the Blue Ridges and even they look like foothills to me now.
The point is that every area is pretty in its own way. Driskill has its beauty, the Rockies have theirs, and either you can see it or you can't.

Comparing the Apps to the Rockies is apples to oranges. Other than being mountain ranges they have nothing else in common thematically. They are visually distinct in every conceivable way, and each has forms of beauty the other can't offer.

Comparing Driskill to the Rockies is like comparing a boot to a bottle of ketchup.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Definitely the Appalachians. The mountains there are lush, green, and alive. The Rockies are bone-dry, dead, and boring. You can also find shade and shelter with the first. With the latter you get dry skin and skin cancer due to the severe dryness, openness, and high altitude (plus less oxygen).

Old 02-18-2019, 10:19 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Going with the Rockies here.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Definitely the Appalachians. The mountains there are lush, green, and alive. The Rockies are bone-dry, dead, and boring. You can also find shade and shelter with the first. With the latter you get dry skin and skin cancer due to the severe dryness, openness, and high altitude (plus less oxygen).
Way off with exaggeration here. If the Rockies were bone dry and dead, you wouldn't find the aspen and pine forests that are so common in the Rockies, along with the beautiful running creeks and rivers. For the record, Telluride, CO has had over 200 inches of snow this season and still going strong. When I hiked Mt. Elbert in Colorado in July above the tree line the mountain's slopes were covered in grassy meadows and tons wildflowers. Boring they are not. There's good reason why Colorado's ski resorts are so highly ranked and the openness and expansive views are part of their appeal. The Rockies are awesome.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-18-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City