U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite: Rocky or Appalachian mountains
Rocky 186 57.59%
Appalachian 137 42.41%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:28 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,962,328 times

Advertisements

Hands down--The Appalachians. Both for the diverse flora/fauna and the living history of its people. My family among them. The Rockies would only be 2nd on my list of western ranges. The Sierra Nevadas are GODS COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 01:20 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,154,806 times
Got to go with the Rocky Mountains. Bigger range and area, higher peaks, more snow, more forest.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:32 PM

7,244 posts, read 13,140,801 times
I think the Rockies are absolutely beautiful. Breathtaking. I love them.

I love mountains in general, and have loved every mountain range I've visited.

HOWEVER! The Appalachians are my absolute favorite. I love the worn and ancient feel of them. They can still be impressive and daunting and rocky. Mount Mitchell is the highest peak west of the Mississippi River, and while it's only 6800 feet or so, it's still an amazing place.

300 million or so years ago, the Appalachian Mountains were extremely tall and rocky. I've heard that they were once taller than the Rockies are now, and were on par with the modern-day Himalayas.

They formed while North America was still a part of a supercontinent, and are actually the same range that appears in Morocco and Scotland!

I love that history, and the feel of the modern place. I love the leaves in the fall and the summer rains. I love the ancient, and even sometimes slightly creepy feel of Appalachian nights.

Amazing.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,034,219 times
I like the Appalachians, probably because im biased, living near them my whole life. But i love the sense you get when hiking them and riding you're bike through them, the more calm and laid back feeling (compared to the rockies) with lots of leaves and tons of different plant life. I bet if i grew up on the west coast it'd be the other way though

Old 04-20-2008, 03:28 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,529,737 times
I love mountains, and I have seen both. They are both beautiful, but I prefer the Appalachian mountains, they're not as scary to me, I call them the gentle beautiful mountains.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,373,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
i like your discription of the appalation mountains being green Josh. i actually prefer to see the rock formations that occur, and the rocky's have many plant life too, with the very high elevation, they have more animal species that live in the rockys as well. thats what i like to see in mountains is the animal species. thats just my oppinion.
Overall, the Rockies are higher from base to summit. However, what a lot of people fail to realize is that in many areas of the Rockies, the mountains aren't much taller than they are in areas of the Southern Appalachians, particularly Western North Carolina. Whenever someone quotes something like 12,000 ft or 14,000 ft., they're taking that from a base set at anywhere from five thousand to six thousand feet above sea level. Really, these mountains are anywhere from six to eight thousand feet tall. On the other hand, the Appalachians have a base set at about one thousand feet above sea level, and in some place rise to a summit of around 6500 feet. Thus, the mountains are about 5500 ft, compared to about seven thousand feet for most of the Rockies chain. It's not as dramatic a difference as many people think. Places like Vail and Breckenridge look lower in height than places in the Western North Carolina Appalachians, and that is no joke.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:17 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,065,444 times
This is a great post! Love all the opinions!

Old 04-20-2008, 08:26 PM

138 posts, read 689,514 times
Both ranges are beautiful but I prefer the Rockies. I just like the ruggedness of the west more than the rolling green of the east.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:06 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,065,444 times
Mt. Washington in New Hampshire has that ruggedness, that most favor in the Rockies. Mt. Lafayette is also of a rugged persuasion. The whole Presidential Range in New England has some rugged landscape.

Sorry about the spelling.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:15 PM

2,758 posts, read 6,433,769 times
Default Good Point Scraper

about the base to summit measurements of both mountain chains. But I will be honest i can't choose between either or any mountain range for that matter. Each has a story to tell from its beginning through today. I love all the mountains anytime anyplace. My degree is in geology and I am quite at home in that environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City