U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite: Rocky or Appalachian mountains
Rocky 186 57.59%
Appalachian 137 42.41%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 PM

20,176 posts, read 34,515,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
The Apps aren't even mountains. The tallest is 6,684 feet. By contrast, the highest point in Texas (far from being considered a "mountainous" state) is 8749 feet.

The Apps are very, very nice hills.
Travel up to the top of Mount Washington, NH and then get back to me. It is definitely a good sized mountain and above tree line. It also has the worst weather on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 07:46 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,404,135 times
There is just no comparison, its like comparing Dollywood to Disney World. You have to appreciate arm chair world travelers that will argue a point that have never even been to the Rockies.

Its a good thing the Appalachians have enough vegetation or we would see the billions of tons of garbage that it hides.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:21 PM

20,176 posts, read 34,515,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
There is just no comparison, its like comparing Dollywood to Disney World. You have to appreciate arm chair world travelers that will argue a point that have never even been to the Rockies.

Its a good thing the Appalachians have enough vegetation or we would see the billions of tons of garbage that it hides.
I have been to the Rockies as well. I was just clarifying the point that Mount Washington, NH does have the worst weather on earth. It has been well documented. I was up at the summit one year in July with hail and sleet pellets along with 90mph sustained winds.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:29 AM

8,181 posts, read 16,166,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post

So are you saying that if one likes the Apps that means they have never been to the Rockies?

Sorry, but I have to prove you wrong on this one. I've been to and spent a lot of time in both. Besides, mosts of the posts LIKE the Rockies. As I do...I would just rather live in the Apps.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:03 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,075,414 times
Here's some info to add to Granite's tidbit on Mt. Washington
Mount Washington is the highest peak in the Northeastern United States at 6,288 ft. It is famous for its dangerously erratic weather, holding the record for the highest wind gust directly measured at the Earth's surface, at 231 mph (372 km/h) on the afternoon of April 12, 1934.

Now that's what I would call a mountain.

I've obtained this info from Wikipedia

Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,426,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeeCC View Post
The Appalachians are gorgeous, no doubt, but when it comes to ecosystems, the Rockies, well...Rock. One of the largest rain forests is in Washington state. the highest mountains in north america are Whitney and McKinley, both in the rockies. Volcanoes in the rockies. Our mountains overlook Yosemite and the Redwoods and and the deserts and the Pacific. I love the Great Smokies, with their history and their hollers, too.

Whatta country, huh?
Interesting post. I take it that you subscribe to the view that all of the mountains in the Western Cordillera are in fact a part of the Rockies (you're not wrong, necessarily, many people see it that way)? In California, we almost never think of it that way. To us, The Sierra Nevada and the Cascades are their own mountain ranges, whilst the Rockies are the mountains many hundreds of miles East in States such as New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and up into Canada. Like I said, you can look at it either way, and I actually like your way of looking at it, because it makes my local mountains (the Sierra Nevada) a part of one of the largest mountain chains on Earth. Geologically speaking, the mountains out here are radically different than those of the Rockies, but to be fair, the Sierras have a lot more in common with the Rockies then they do with the Appalachians. Anyways, I vote for the Rockies based on grandeur.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:58 PM

14,984 posts, read 16,561,821 times
Furthering the post above, The Adirondacks and Catskills in New York, among the most interesting mountain ranges in the east are not part of the Appalachians either.

Most of the mountain ranges in New Mexico are not part of the Rockies, either.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there. Foremost among them that a mountain range can be universally described as 'best'.

ABQConvict

Old 05-08-2009, 10:00 PM

92 posts, read 147,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmecoco View Post
the base to summit arguement is crap. sorry but the apps are not 5000+ from ground level. I too have a college background in geologyand that is false, link would be nice to prove please.

Rockies i think blow them out.. Apps are too boring and not as majestic as the rocks
Check what you learned in college geology, because that is not crap. All you have to do is look up the prominence of say...Mt. Leconte in the Smokey's and you would easily be able to find out that that mountain has a prominence of 5,000 or so feet. That being said, the Appalachians are less rugged and prominent, but they are also still amazing in their own way. I love the massive forests! But I couldn't choose between the two.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 PM

343 posts, read 1,232,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood1999 View Post
Check what you learned in college geology, because that is not crap. All you have to do is look up the prominence of say...Mt. Leconte in the Smokey's and you would easily be able to find out that that mountain has a prominence of 5,000 or so feet. That being said, the Appalachians are less rugged and prominent, but they are also still amazing in their own way. I love the massive forests! But I couldn't choose between the two.

There both beautiful in their own right, but lets be honest, the Rockies dominate the applachians. There just is no comparison. Plus the rockies are much more extensive and cover a far greater land area.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:58 AM

604 posts, read 1,629,973 times
ROCKIES
you got the best skiing in the world!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City