U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite: Rocky or Appalachian mountains
Rocky 186 57.59%
Appalachian 137 42.41%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:42 PM

79 posts, read 172,783 times

Advertisements

Appalachians for me...the seasonal changes are awesome, with colour in the fall and dark green in the summer. There is so much to do up and down the Appalachian Trail, with many historical sites and sites of natural interest. Unfortunately, this mountain chain is quickly becoming endangered from mountaintop removal coal mining. Here's a site to check it out:

iLoveMountains.org - End Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 12:52 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
The Rockies just aren't green. They are boring with their huge swaths of monoculture forest.

Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir!

ABQConvict

Old 05-09-2009, 07:27 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
The Appalachians are more livable day to day compared to the Rocky Mountains- which experience rather extreme changes in the weather.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:34 PM

3,057 posts, read 5,234,688 times
I choose the Porcupine Mountains.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 PM

795 posts, read 2,143,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The Rockies just aren't green. They are boring with their huge swaths of monoculture forest.

Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir! Hey a Douglas Fir!

ABQConvict
Well they looked green when I saw them today...

Old 05-10-2009, 12:10 AM

7 posts, read 13,761 times
The Appalachian Mountains are the only ones I've been in. I've never had the opportunity to travel but will say that the size of a mountain does not attract me. That is not to say that if I'm ever out west that I will not look up at the Rockies in utter awe and hope to see what there is. I do not, however, want to mountain climb.

Day trips were always taken a few times a year to the State Park Ohio Pyle. There was white water rafting, nature hiking, nature water slides, waterfalls, historical landmarks, fossils, and just lush lush forest and the smell... ahhh. I remember as a wee child I use to hunt for gnomes under mushrooms. The Appalachians make me think of fairytales and nightmares rolled up into one. It could make one's imagination soar with creativity.

I believe my dad hiked part of the appalachian Trail when I was younger but I forgot how much. I'd have to ask my mom.

I'm curious, what state would be the best to visit the Appalachians in? Not so much as a camper and defiantly not as a hiker, but more of a nature observer?

Old 05-10-2009, 12:36 AM

2,561 posts, read 4,867,738 times
Gotta go with the Rockies as a Colorado native, the San Juan Range in the southern part of the state is amazing as well. Was just up in the Rockies two days ago near Breckenridge.. still an abundance of snow up there.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:14 AM

343 posts, read 1,231,523 times
The picture speaks for itself. Rockies rule over the applachians. And whoever said they were not green? Evergreens stay green year around.

http://www.dirjournal.com/info/wp-co...an_rockies.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 12-16-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 01:18 AM

2,561 posts, read 4,867,738 times
Nice pic. xxClimberx

Old 05-10-2009, 01:35 PM

1,809 posts, read 2,889,491 times
I like them both. I probably sway towards the Rockies and I grew up in Vermont, but it's a very tough choice.I consider Vermont's Green Moutains part of the apps. One thing Vermonts moutain areas really has over the Rockies is picturesque, quaint, small towns. I have not explored the Southern apps...but the Berkshires, Vermont and New Hampshire have all these really cute Norman Rockwell-esque small towns nesteld in the in the mountains. With the old fashioned downtowns, beautiful centuries old farmhouses and dairy farms, church steeples, Victorian houses, etc.... I traveled extensively from New Mex to CO to WY to MT...and the towns are nowhere near as quaint as New England. There is more nasty spawl in the western towns and they have a harder edge. Or they are ultra rich ski resort tourist towns (Aspen, Jackson). The other thing that is much better about the apps is the surrounding fresh water lakes. The Rockies are very arid and do not have as pretty, tree lined recreational lakes as do Upstate NY, Vermont, NH, etc... There is much more water in the apps. And the tree diversity is better in the apps. Yes there are nice alpine lakes you can hike into in the Rockies, but they are not the same as the accessible public lakes for canoeing in the Apps in Vermont and Upstate NY.But the Rockies have an incredible grandeur. The way you can see vast distances with snow capped peaks in the distance is so striking. And that vast, open, intangible feeling of the American West. Places like Whitefish/Glacier area of MT, the San Juans in southern CO, the Grand Tetons...are truly a sight to behold. The one area of the Rockies I've found with the nicest public access freshwater lakes is the Whitefish MT area. Also, all you have is conifers, conifers, conifers in the Rockies which gets boring. And you also have the devasting wildfires in the summer months in the Rockies which the Apps don't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City