Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite: Rocky or Appalachian mountains
Rocky 213 55.91%
Appalachian 168 44.09%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:27 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,546,537 times

Advertisements

I think that most people seem to choose the Rockys because they seem like they get more publicity. The rockies seem like there more marketed towards vacationers. I know the Smoky Mountains National Park is the most visited park, but I don't think that the Appalachians get much credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 9,242 times
both are great!!! obviously

Old 11-18-2008, 02:52 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,745,804 times
Hmm, kind of an old topic, but I'll throw in m 2 cents.

It's all in what you like best. I like tall granite spires, large waterfalls, and Aspens, so I pick the Rockies (Although my first choice would be the Sierra Nevada).

It would be more appropriate to include "Pacific Ranges" in the comparison. Just as the Rockies have many sub ranges, the Pacific Ranges also have many, including the Sierra, the Cascades, the Coast Ranges, etc (although the Sierra can also be considered a part of the Basin and Range province).

Old 01-25-2009, 09:17 AM

125 posts, read 452,056 times
The Rockies by far. Much more rugged, bigger, pristine, wilderness. Just the Western experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
these are both beautiful mountain ranges in our country. which one is your favorite and why?

ive been to the Rocky mountains, ive climbed up to the top of mt. evans before, which is 14,264 ft. (also has the highest road in the U.S.). but i loved the view on top of the mountain, even though im scared of hieghts.

and i love Denver, maybe its the steep hills through out the metro area. i like the zoo also, and that whole area seems cool to me.

so from experience im going with the Rockys.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:37 AM

9,095 posts, read 13,104,976 times
I voted for the Rockies. Simply the size, scale and the scenic grandeur of the Rockies and the other western mountains beats what we have further east. The Grand Tetons in Wyoming are an excellent example.

Having said that I can understand why Billiam, Josh, North Carolina and others feel the way they do about the Appalachians. For me being a history buff there is nothing like the Shenadoah valley and visiting where Stonewall Jackson outwitted his opponents.

Or walking the same paths in old vacation areas like the Catskills & the Berkshires where people have been going for 50,100, or 150 years. I sometimes feel a connection to them and to a simpler & more innocent time.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 AM

7 posts, read 30,405 times
the base to summit arguement is crap. sorry but the apps are not 5000+ from ground level. I too have a college background in geologyand that is false, link would be nice to prove please.

Rockies i think blow them out.. Apps are too boring and not as majestic as the rocks

Old 01-25-2009, 04:12 PM

744 posts, read 1,304,942 times
Appalachian mountains duh!
so peaceful.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,977,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmecoco View Post
the base to summit arguement is crap. sorry but the apps are not 5000+ from ground level. I too have a college background in geologyand that is false, link would be nice to prove please.

Rockies i think blow them out.. Apps are too boring and not as majestic as the rocks
Ok Coco, the diff in elev btw Colorado Springs and Pike's Peak is roughly in the 8000' range so you win. Since i unforturately haven't been able to work in the field for 24 years, I am a bit rusty. The Apps (specifically the Blue Ridge) do offer majestic scenery and some interesting rock formations as well. Nothing bad about either range, one must learn to appreciate each ranges strengths and weaknesses.

This whole mountain range comparison is just like the city and state comparisons. All it amounts to is who has the biggest ^^^^!

Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,878,340 times
The Rockies. It's the whole reason I live where I do - they are practically at my door. I adore mountains, and love nothing more than hiking and backpacking and true isolated wilderness experiences. I absolutely love alpine ruggedness, cragginess and vertical relief. I love feeling insignificant sitting in an alpine cirque just below a vertical wall of a looming peak.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:42 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,909,555 times
Did the OP really say, "He loves the Steep hills in the Denver Metro?" The Denver Metro is flat as a pancake. OK, maybe the far western part like Golden isn't, and the places out by Morrison, but other than that, what steep hills???????

I would go with the rockies. The Appalachians are beautiful in the fall. I love hiking the rockies a lot better. HOwever, the forest are cooler in the Appalachians. They are much more diverse, and peaceful, as where the Rockies just have Aspen trees and Pine trees pretty much. The Appalachians have a variety of hardwoods and streams. Hiking in the Appalachians is quiet and peaceful, as the Rockies are intensly Amazing and beautiful. I like both places to get away. I wish the Appalachains where more preserved. I mentioned there was a ton of hardwoods, while their use to be many, many more for variety. The early settlers cut down the forest from Maine to Florida in the 1800s. What grew back only doesn't even make up 25% of what use to grow there. It is a shame.

Lets just not do the same to our Rockies, but after looking at the Front Range, they will be just another mess of Highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City