Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it necessarily makes us tougher, but people from the Northeast seem much more willing to get into fist fights than kids from the Southeast. When at school in Clemson, SC I found it so refreshing not having to deal with a bunch of people getting into fist fights every night. I don't think I saw a single serious fight in my four years there.

However, when I would return back to Massachusetts, people in my hometown would constantly get into massive brawls. Going into Boston at times can get a little crazy. It's best just to avoid it, that's what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:55 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
My mom and her family are Irish/Catholics from Southie aka South Boston. Toughest people I know.

just watch the Boondock Saints for a better understanding.
Yeah... because that movie reflected reality.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:58 PM

322 posts, read 800,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
My mom and her family are Irish/Catholics from Southie aka South Boston. Toughest people I know.

just watch the Boondock Saints for a better understanding.

nah .... a bunch of euro caucasians tough? pshh

Old 06-16-2009, 01:59 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't know if it necessarily makes us tougher, but people from the Northeast seem much more willing to get into fist fights than kids from the Southeast. When at school in Clemson, SC I found it so refreshing not having to deal with a bunch of people getting into fist fights every night. I don't think I saw a single serious fight in my four years there.

However, when I would return back to Massachusetts, people in my hometown would constantly get into massive brawls. Going into Boston at times can get a little crazy. It's best just to avoid it, that's what I do.
Is it safe to assume you were attending college in Clemson? If so, advancing to college is one sure-fire way to filter out the undesireable types who use their fists with every provocation. Comparing the number of fights you witness in high school to the number of fights you witness in college (in a college town no less) is silly.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:

After a while ,fighting gets old; however, it's always fights at TX schools.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:33 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
St. Petersburg, Florida is in a county in the top 40 for alcohol and is the top 20 for assault, which might include "fighting/bar-brawls."

http://www.city-data.com/city/St.-Pe...g-Florida.html
http://www.city-data.com/top2/co4.html

It's 68.6% white so maybe has some "tough" white people. (Things seem awful racial on this site at times.)

Old 06-16-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Is it safe to assume you were attending college in Clemson? If so, advancing to college is one sure-fire way to filter out the undesireable types who use their fists with every provocation. Comparing the number of fights you witness in high school to the number of fights you witness in college (in a college town no less) is silly.
Yes, I went to Clemson.

I understand what you're saying in terms of smarter people going to college and therefore weeding out the knucklheads. However, you have obviously never been to Boston or UMass Amherst haha.

One of the best way I remember Boston being made fun of was in the Simpsons episode Homer vs the 18th Amendment. Kent Brockman is on an elevated news platform when a bunch of drunken people wearing Red Sox and Celtics jerseys begin climbing the stand. They start talking in strong Boston accents saying: "Hey mah! I'm on TV", "Hey wheah's that weathah chick?" and "Have you seen Sully?!" then they bust into a massive brawl which sends the town into a riot.

& at Jluke, I agree there's nothing cool about fighting, which is why I avoid it at all costs. Luckily I have been able to avoid it for the most part since I was in fifth grade haha. Some people just like it I guess. I'm not a fan of waking up with a black eye and broken knuckles even if I'm considered the "winner" of a fight.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
Racist much?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:17 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,075,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
I hereby nominate LosAngelesNightmare as the new King of the Trolls on City-Data Forum.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:19 AM

322 posts, read 800,527 times
Quote:
Racist much?
its an opinion ...Ireland is weak lol....are u kidding me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City