U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:04 AM

54 posts, read 4,559 times
Question US sate with the toughest road safety laws?

I'm not talking about the toughest highway patrol but the toughest laws regarding highway safety :

-seatbelt most retrictive laws ;
-highest penalties (fines, jail...) for speeding, DUI, street racing, reckless and agressive driving ;
-cell phone ban laws ;

Which state is the toughest in that matter, in your opinion? What about your state? Comparison and debate would be helpfull. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 04:39 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,566,937 times
I donno ... North Carolina does suspend licenses for going 15 over, New York exchanges your driving violations with another country (Canada) and California speeding tickets are the most expensive easily $300, thank goodness I live in Colorado!

Old 04-28-2008, 05:15 AM

4,757 posts, read 9,502,527 times
Isn't Virginia home of the $3,000 speeding ticket?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 AM

7,299 posts, read 9,117,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
There are signs on the George Washington Parkway in Virginia saying, "Max penalty for speeding $5000 fine or 5 years in jail".

Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 AM

17 posts, read 48,046 times
nobody cares about road safety in our country.

See : 43 000 deaths in our roads, mostly due to criminal behaviours such as speeding, DUI, etc. Who cares, who knows that figure? Nobody, man.

4000 soldiers killed in Irak : wow, everybody cares, it's a national tragedy.

You gotta rely in yourself, not in the highway patrols. I carry a machinegun in my car to protect me from all that criminals.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:08 AM

2,842 posts, read 4,050,843 times
Quote:
Yep. The Potomac states (MD, DC, and VA) are extremely strict about road safety.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 AM

1,536 posts, read 3,863,072 times
Quote:
Virginia is also one of only three states in the country to ban the use of radar detectors in vehicles. It's all about stacking the deck in favor of the state's traffic enforcers.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:43 PM

873 posts, read 1,622,009 times
Wyoming should be added to this list... it has to be one of the only states I know of that will give you a ticket for speeding 5mph over the speed limit.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:06 AM

199 posts, read 521,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Virginia is also one of only three states in the country to ban the use of radar detectors in vehicles. It's all about stacking the deck in favor of the state's traffic enforcers.
also fifteen over the speed limit or 80mph+ is considered "reckless driving". aka, you get a criminal record. Those speeds are par for the course in Massachusetts, and some other states. Go to any legal advice forum for speeding tickets and you will doubtlessly find a bunch of posts from Virginia trying to deal with a reckless driving charge. I mean, everyone speeds a little at some point. To get stuck with a criminal record for it seems inane.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:05 AM

7,299 posts, read 9,117,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymalaia View Post
also fifteen over the speed limit or 80mph+ is considered "reckless driving". aka, you get a criminal record. Those speeds are par for the course in Massachusetts, and some other states. Go to any legal advice forum for speeding tickets and you will doubtlessly find a bunch of posts from Virginia trying to deal with a reckless driving charge. I mean, everyone speeds a little at some point. To get stuck with a criminal record for it seems inane.
Heck, just visit the Virginia forums here to see how many threads there are about Reckless driving tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City