Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:00 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times

Advertisements

You might throw just about any of the Rust Bowl cities in there. The big question being how long it might take some of them and in what form they might come back.

For me the better question is what is the underlying values that any city / town might have that makes it a place that has a future. Not all cities might make it.

Reminds me a bit of a conversation I had with a guy that lived the street behind me when Boston was in the dumper and people were trying to guess would it / and when make some sort of recovery. This guy was a police Lt, lawyer and real estate agent and his take was the places that were desirable / valuable / or neccssary in the year 1900 would be the same places that would be desirable / valuable / necessary in the year 2000 for all the same reasons. That prediction turned out to be just about right on. But it didn't happen over night, took the better part of 20 years.

Things like easy access to a core urban area, higher ground, the better natural location, better shopping, roads, etc. A lot of it may be the original reason that caused a city / town to be there in the first place. Is that reason still valid? Certain minerals, transportation hub, good land, center of something, cheaper energy, best collection of whatever. So I do think you have to be able to identify the factors that will cause it to bloom again.

Two example might be the towns of Wellsville and East Liverpool, Ohio. Used to be two pretty important manufacturing and transportation hubs, good access to water, rail, road, air, well located to serve a lot of important markets. Both really hit the skids. You could have bought a house for peanuts. Like well below $10K, both have turned around to some extent, those same cheap houses might be worth 4 or 5 times as much in say a span of only 5 years. So it also depends on when you have the foresight to jump in. It is not without some risk at the bottom and you may have to endure some pain. Both of those places are still pretty drab but probably will become pretty desirable again at some time in the future. Industry starting to move into that area again.

Lots of towns down along the Ohio River that hit the skids about the same time and their future is still a bit in doubt. I think you have to know the why's a lot more and be able to predict some sort of growth path. Helps to be in just a tad before the bottom when they will give the real estate away, no lines, no waiting.

Once everybody is raving about the new miracle it is too late.

So it may be more than just finding a place that is in a turn around mode. The timing factor might be the most important thing. In the end the success may kill it anyway. About like Boston, lots of money flowed in, lots of people jumped on the band wagon, built on every scrap of available land, got the most dense sprawl available. Yeah, had to love that traffic. The grime and crime to polish the crown jewel that became so, so dense. You may not wish for it to get too successful, too quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 02:07 PM

262 posts, read 2,022,045 times
All of the Hudson River/Newark Bay cities in New Jersey... Bayonne, Jersey City, Union City, and even Newark itself. These are my top cities poised for a rebound!!!

Plus I really respect what Cory Booker is doing in Newark, but that's a topic for another thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Default location, location, location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
For me the better question is what is the underlying values that any city / town might have that makes it a place that has a future. Not all cities might make it.

Things like easy access to a core urban area, higher ground, the better natural location, better shopping, roads, etc. A lot of it may be the original reason that caused a city / town to be there in the first place. Is that reason still valid?

Once everybody is raving about the new miracle it is too late.

So it may be more than just finding a place that is in a turn around mode. The timing factor might be the most important thing. In the end the success may kill it anyway.
Cosmic, those are some great thoughts about how a place can climb back out of a bad slump. An "out of the way" one company town that was once thriving primarily because there was a giant mine or factory (now shut down) might not have a chance of making a comeback as soon as a similar place that is located closer to other cities that could be tapped into for economic activity. I agree lots of places in Ohio that are currently struggling have potential to do better, because almost anywhere in the state is not far from a metro area that might be doing better.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 PM

13 posts, read 20,002 times
Pittsburgh is an amazing city it wins a quality of life award almost every year

Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
One might be surprised, but I see a lot of change being made in Detroit. A lot of people are tired of the bad rep, the blight, etc. etc. and are working to make a positive change. Even recently, jobs have been added, with Chrysler adding over 1100 and GM surely to add more as well as they roll out several new models (Spark, Cruze (Ohio, but still a sign of future success), Volt, etc.)

Detroit will go far, it may take a WHILE as it's down, but it is NOT out.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
I have noticed is that in terms of a rebound are midwest cities outside of the rust belt core. The cities seem to of diversified their economies better and less younger people are moving away as in the past. They still have little immigration and migration to and will likely have worker shortages in the next decade or two as many people start retiring. Also my opinion will be faster growth as these same people retiring are oftentimes the people holding an area back from growth with their viewpoints and solving the problems a particular area has, St. Louis seems to have a huge generation gap involving this and I presume similar cities as well have this. (The divide is somewhere around 40)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City