Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 07:15 PM

82 posts, read 149,784 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am a 50 yr old mom of 2 teens and a mother (72) with me. We have been living in Southern Maryland for years and it's ok but we have been in the same town home (renting) for 10 years. Our rent has never been raised (900.00) a month so I shouldn't complain but we are good tenants. Rent never been late, don't trash home, etc. But now we are at the point that everything is starting to deteriorate in the home. Examples - carpeting 30 yrs old (scared to shampoo now as I'm afraid it would fall apart, (LOL) dishwasher works but can't use as it leaks (I think pipes in the wall) all over the floor, all 3 toilets need guts replaced, etc. etc. Just general maintenance issues that they don't seem concerned about fixing. Up till this last call about the dishwasher and faucet needing replaced, the husband would come out and (fix) whatever was wrong but he's about as handy as I am which is not at all. Within a week of him fixing something it will be broke again. They have never had to replace anything in the home since we have been here. Washer, dryer, heat, air, etc. But now that I am retired and don't need to be near work I am seriously considering moving to an area less expensive. I am just not used to living this way. Have looked into NC and TN. We would have to rent as I don't have enough money saved yet to buy but am pretty open to any suggestions. Thanks so much in advance, Steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 08:05 PM

9,095 posts, read 13,104,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithnolife View Post
Hi all, I am a 50 yr old mom of 2 teens and a mother (72) with me. We have been living in Southern Maryland for years and it's ok but we have been in the same town home (renting) for 10 years. Our rent has never been raised (900.00) a month so I shouldn't complain but we are good tenants. Rent never been late, don't trash home, etc. But now we are at the point that everything is starting to deteriorate in the home. Examples - carpeting 30 yrs old (scared to shampoo now as I'm afraid it would fall apart, (LOL) dishwasher works but can't use as it leaks (I think pipes in the wall) all over the floor, all 3 toilets need guts replaced, etc. etc. Just general maintenance issues that they don't seem concerned about fixing. Up till this last call about the dishwasher and faucet needing replaced, the husband would come out and (fix) whatever was wrong but he's about as handy as I am which is not at all. Within a week of him fixing something it will be broke again. They have never had to replace anything in the home since we have been here. Washer, dryer, heat, air, etc. But now that I am retired and don't need to be near work I am seriously considering moving to an area less expensive. I am just not used to living this way. Have looked into NC and TN. We would have to rent as I don't have enough money saved yet to buy but am pretty open to any suggestions. Thanks so much in advance, Steph
From your point of view, retired at age 50, you can go anywhere.

But what about your two teenagers? What grade are they in school? Do they have alot of friends and relatives in Maryland? Not to mention the Washington DC is a good place to get a good job these days, a Federal Government job. So you may be making their lives harder by moving somewhere else.

So one possibility is to look in the Washington DC area. Expensive but you may get lucky. As for moving away, I hear North Carolina is a good choice. In addition, you might want to check out North Georgia.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,331,965 times
I'd pick either NC or TN over MD any day, no offense to MD. But have you narrowed it down? Both states are rather large and have multiple regions to pick from.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:18 AM

Thank you for reply. I'm not too sure as I have never been to either. Not too particular as I don't go out much. Just a safe area is my main concern. Along with a lower rent would be nice. Any suggestions would be nice. Maybe even KY? Don't work so it could be somewhat rural though not too far out as I have been close to things but I have a vehicle so wouldn't mind driving. Somewhat agoraphobic so I'm in most of the time

Old 06-01-2010, 12:59 PM

15,930 posts, read 20,899,784 times
Overall TN is less expensive than NC, and we have no income tax if your kids are thinking of part time jobs.
Here's a nice COL calculator to play with and give you an idea of the difference between the major areas of both states.
Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Some areas of TN you might consider: Cookeville, Johnson City, maybe some of the smaller communities on the outskirts of the larger cities, such as White House, Munford, Maryville, etc.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Wow Dubble, Thank you so much for your reply. I've been looking at JC and Maryville. They look like good options for me. I've looked at some apts. on rent.com but you can't really tell anything about the area. Will probably rent a house or town home by private owner if I can find something. I saw a place called The Villages that were very nice houses but I think they are out of my price range. Love any suggestions

Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 PM

Also love the calculator Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City