Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one of these states would you live/
New york 17 11.97%
Maryland 17 11.97%
New Jersey 16 11.27%
Connecticut 9 6.34%
Florida 33 23.24%
Massachusetts 26 18.31%
Pennsylvania 24 16.90%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 12:47 PM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
MA has clam chowder, lobster rolls, and donuts. However, it feels soulless and closes too early.
Soulless? I wouldn't say that. Definitely has more soul than CT, MD or Nj.. just from Boston alone. MA is just a classist playground for the ultra wealthy. Yuck. Very over it.. the nightlife came to an utter stop in 1990.

I do think as MA booms (and it's really only accelerating with labs and science), it could amend some of its shortfalls. I don't get how a state so economically prosperous who is trying to (and still somehow succeeding) to attract people from all over the world... Fails to improve it's entertainment and social scene. It's pretty bad. My biggest quarlm with Ma Is it makes everything so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 01:17 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Yet somehow Florida is gaining more young people than all of these states combined. Florida's job market and schools are crap? What an outdated take. You'd be surprised how well Florida's now. I can only imagine in a few years.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...gher-education

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nkings/economy
That’s cause they get a lot of low skilled immigrants too.

FL has a pretty odd population distribution. Lots of very young and lots of very old.

Even for COL Florida has absolutely horrid wages. It’s a full 26k dollars less than Massachusetts.

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...ld-income.html

Old 02-28-2021, 01:23 PM

626 posts, read 464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The thing is Florida gets retirees. The reason people wait until they’re 63 to move to Florida is because the Job Market, Schools etc are crap. Once those things don’t matter and literally the only thing that matters. Is your social security/pension/401k isn’t taxed and you don’t have to shovel.

Massachusetts gets a ton of talent. That’s why Boston’s economy is growing just as fast as Dallas and faster than Atlanta despite its population not

Yet amazingly Florida is gaining more young people than all of these states combined. Florida's job market and schools are crap? What an outdated take. You'd be surprised how well Florida's doing now. I can only imagine in a few years.

These rankings are even from before Covid. Florida has blow up since then.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...erall_Rankings

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...gher-education

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...nkings/economy

Old 02-28-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
That’s cause they get a lot of low skilled immigrants too.

FL has a pretty odd population distribution. Lots of very young and lots of very old.

Even for COL Florida has absolutely horrid wages. It’s a full 26k dollars less than Massachusetts.

https://www.census.gov/library/visua...ld-income.html

Wow Florida must be even more amazing than I thought if so many people are still moving there even despite its low wages..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_tax

Old 02-28-2021, 01:35 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
Wow Florida must be even more amazing than I thought if so many people are still moving there even despite its low wages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_tax
It’s also entirely unremarkable. There is a reason Mass produced both vaccines.

You live to Florida if you’ve given up on your life or done contributing to society

Old 02-28-2021, 01:41 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Soulless? I wouldn't say that. Definitely has more soul than CT, MD or Nj.. just from Boston alone. MA is just a classist playground for the ultra wealthy. Yuck. Very over it.. the nightlife came to an utter stop in 1990.

I do think as MA booms (and it's really only accelerating with labs and science), it could amend some of its shortfalls. I don't get how a state so economically prosperous who is trying to (and still somehow succeeding) to attract people from all over the world... Fails to improve it's entertainment and social scene. It's pretty bad. My biggest quarlm with Ma Is it makes everything so hard.

all those smart people leave Boston and MA for NYC to make money.

NJ I feel has more soul than MA. CT was a disappointment. MA definitely beats CT.

northeast corridor MD is turning into NJ with old bay. Baltimore needs to gentrify and focus on seafood more once the economy turns around.

Quote:
It’s also entirely unremarkable. There is a reason Mass produced both vaccines.

You live to Florida if you’ve given up on your life or done contributing to society

Sure thing bud. Massachusetts is really remarkable compared to Florida

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
New York and Pennsylvania would be my first 2 choices. I picked NY for the variety of landscapes, attractions and the wide variety of places to live in the state. I am from the Oswego, NY area and love the Lake Placid area & Adirondack region. NY also has the NY State Fair in Syracuse, great snowmobiling in Redfield and the wine region in the Finger Lakes.

I have lived in PA (Erie) for a bit over 5 years and like the mix of cities here. I love being close to Lake Erie and Presque Isle State Park. Pittsburgh is also a cool city with different unique neighborhoods. The wilderness areas in the mountains are gorgeous.

Maryland is a decent choice for having Baltimore which is a city that I have enjoyed visiting. New Jersey gets a bad rap but is a decent place to visit and not all of it is a hyper-urban area. Massachusetts is also cool with a lot of cultural attractions, walkable cities and historical sites.

I don't know a lot about Connecticut as I have only visited the Hartford area.

I will catch hate for this but I am not into Florida at all. I liked visiting the beaches but didn't really find anything else there to interest me much.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:50 PM

21,634 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
pretty much agree with your assessment

my ranking would be

1. NJ
2. NY
3. PA
4. MD
5. MA
6. FL

FL has disney and NASA and brightline which is actually a private passenger rail system. It also has gators, hurricanes, and humidity

Northeast needs a ton of infrastructure upgrades especially passenger rail
How do you have PA ahead of MA? sorry, but I don’t get the appeal of Pennsylvania..

Old 02-28-2021, 01:51 PM

21,634 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
MA has clam chowder, lobster rolls, and donuts. However, it feels soulless and closes too early.
Souless??? that’s definitely one of the last things I’d ever say about Massachusetts...it’s primary stock is in character/soul/culture/history/ethnic pockets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City