Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Washington or Texas
I'd Prefer Texas 46 38.33%
I'd Prefer Washington (the state) 65 54.17%
I Don't Like these states so I'd Prefer Neither 6 5.00%
I Love these states so I'd Prefer Both! 3 2.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 09:21 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Austin is already in the mid-80s, raining for the next ten days, and will be blistering in the next couple of weeks for months on end.

You have to be the world’s biggest homer to think that Houston has better weather than Seattle. It’s a clear sign of someone who has never been to Seattle for any period of time and just extrapolating from their own rationalizations.
I'm not a fan of Houston for a number of reasons, climate being one of them. However, I rank Seattle quite low on that front as well.

Seattle has all of two months that break 70 for the average high.. I *much* prefer having Austin's March, April, May, September, October, and November than Seattle's 2 month summer and 10 months of cool and wet. Seattle's May that you are raving about is colder on average than Austin's February. If you prefer the cool and wet, then by all means live in Seattle. There is no question that Texas gets very hot in the Summer.

But to act like Seattle is universally agreed upon as having amazing weather is kind of laughable to me. We're not talking about San Diego here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 06:45 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You know you're desperate when you're in the same region as Canada's warmest (and "most livable/desirable") city. Apparently Canadians' ideal weather is gloomy and cool. Understandable as their winters in the rest of Canada are as harsh as the Arctic.

Also the Pac NW is very remote to the rest of the U.S. Learned that after enduring a 5-hour domestic flight (plus the 2 time zone changes ahead) from SEA to IAH on my way home from The Philippines a decade ago.

A 2 hour flight from Houston can land me in L.A., N.Y.C., or Puerto Vallarta. S.F. is my cooling off spot during the summer since it's closer. Prefer CA for my West Coast fix because both great cities of the Western U.S. are inside the state!
I agree with all you said except its not a two hour flight to L.A. PR or NYC. I'm a Houston native and live in north Texas, flew to NYC regularly for work. Its a MINIMUM 3 1/2 flight based on weather, air traffic and which metro NYC airport is your destination. It's a 3 hours minimum to L.A., sometimes a little faster back to Texas with good weather and a good tailwind.

Old 05-14-2021, 07:44 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I'm not a fan of Houston for a number of reasons, climate being one of them. However, I rank Seattle quite low on that front as well.

Seattle has all of two months that break 70 for the average high.. I *much* prefer having Austin's March, April, May, September, October, and November than Seattle's 2 month summer and 10 months of cool and wet. Seattle's May that you are raving about is colder on average than Austin's February. If you prefer the cool and wet, then by all means live in Seattle. There is no question that Texas gets very hot in the Summer.

But to act like Seattle is universally agreed upon as having amazing weather is kind of laughable to me. We're not talking about San Diego here.
Depends on what you want. In some ways it is better than San Diego because Seattle has four seasons, a very long spring and very long fall, cloud free summers with no mugginess, some snowfall almost every winter and an hour away from 6 ft of fresh snow. Fall foliage continues into December. It’s not that wet in May. I have been watering my garden for over a month now.

I still reiterate that Houston weather is the absolute pits compared to Seattle. No one wants Houston weather, at best they tolerate it. I’ve lived in Houston and through Hurricane Ike which was a relatively small one and still managed to flood the underpasses. Houston weather is like the worst of both worlds. The summers are miserable and the winters are overcast. The humidity and mugginess, ack!

Last edited by Guineas; 05-14-2021 at 08:37 AM..

Old 05-14-2021, 09:16 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Seattle over DFW or Houston why? You never support that summary. .
This is personal preference. I prefer to have a walkable city. I live in a SFH neighborhood in Seattle proper with a walk score of over 85. My kids walk to school. I don’t have to chauffeur them everywhere. They can walk to their friends, library, and the local parks and BB courts. We have several bus stops a couple of blocks away that take us in 15 min to the downtown core with the ferries, Pike Place Market, aquarium, science museum, etc etc. Short of a few small neighborhoods in Houston and DFW, you just can’t do that. The closest analogy is maybe Highland Park, but these are small areas relative to the size of DFW whereas it’s the majority of Seattle.

Furthermore, Covid has shown me how valuable it is to have good and diverse nature within an hours drive from the city, accessible year round. DFW and Houston can’t touch Seattle on this front. Austin at least has the Hill Country.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:32 AM

12,828 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:

April, May, and September in Seattle are pretty spectacular. The summers are magnificent if you don't like the heat. Average high in Seattle during May is 63 and I gotta tell you, 63 feels great there.

Washington may be winning this poll but most of the posts seem to be pretty pro Texas.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:54 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,396,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
April, May, and September in Seattle are pretty spectacular. The summers are magnificent if you don't like the heat. Average high in Seattle during May is 63 and I gotta tell you, 63 feels great there.

Washington may be winning this poll but most of the posts seem to be pretty pro Texas.
Climate is the area where Washington consistently loses in all of these polls. But this guy thinks it's arguably better than San Diego. Okay.. arguably.

High of 63 is nice for the winter but I'll pass on that being one of the warmest months. Particularly when that's a gloomy 63. Just my preference.

Old 05-14-2021, 10:57 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
This is personal preference. I prefer to have a walkable city. I live in a SFH neighborhood in Seattle proper with a walk score of over 85. My kids walk to school. I don’t have to chauffeur them everywhere. They can walk to their friends, library, and the local parks and BB courts. We have several bus stops a couple of blocks away that take us in 15 min to the downtown core with the ferries, Pike Place Market, aquarium, science museum, etc etc. Short of a few small neighborhoods in Houston and DFW, you just can’t do that. The closest analogy is maybe Highland Park, but these are small areas relative to the size of DFW whereas it’s the majority of Seattle.

Furthermore, Covid has shown me how valuable it is to have good and diverse nature within an hours drive from the city, accessible year round. DFW and Houston can’t touch Seattle on this front. Austin at least has the Hill Country.
To be fair, while the water is not as great, you still have access to some good fishing spots and beaches in the Houston area.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:30 AM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Lol. No.
There’s this thing called an opinion...

Old 05-14-2021, 11:51 AM

12,828 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Climate is the area where Washington consistently loses in all of these polls. But this guy thinks it's arguably better than San Diego. Okay.. arguably.

High of 63 is nice for the winter but I'll pass on that being one of the warmest months. Particularly when that's a gloomy 63. Just my preference.
I never said it was better than SD? Though I have to admit the sun can be overbearing in SoCal. And yeah, Seattle weather does not appeal to the masses like Texas's will. That's why I'm surprised Washington is winning. I guess it's posters are quiet, while the Texas posters are, well opinionated.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:16 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
My issue with Texas weather isn't how hot it gets in the summers but rather how widely it can vary and also how chaotic it can become and very suddenly. We get the extremes of everything except snow, unless you live in the Panhandle.

Seattle weather is hit or miss, some people aren't phased by it, other people couldn't handle it and I can understand both cases. I personally am not phased by the driery skies, infact Seattle has made me grow to appreciate overcast days more. It's currently cool and overcast in Austin and while many locals hate it, I personally enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City