U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:46 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,543,726 times

Advertisements

I like both cites. If you were given only a choice between one city or the other to live in and they were you only options, which city would you select and why?

That's a tuff choice for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 09:19 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,249,979 times
I would probably choose Chicago, although it would be a tough choice. I love Chicago's location right on the lake, and IMO it has a bigger and more vibrant feel.

IMO, both cities are underrated, Philadelphia is a lot cheaper than the rest of the northeast for no reason, and Chicago is very under priced for a world-class city.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:21 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,221,859 times
Chicago's closer.

But I get sick of hearing about Chicago all the time, so Philly would probably win by default. I like their housing stock as well, even though it is farther from home.

And I couldn't stand living in CubbieLand.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,034,219 times
I Think Philly just because i live very close to it and i really love its vibe. Chicago is incredible though and is much bigger. They're both incredible, but my bias takes over and i have to choose Philly

Old 05-12-2008, 09:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 7,883,333 times
Philly has older architecture and more of a distinct historical flavor. The weather is not quite as harsh. Plus, it's close to other cool places like NYC and DC. I'd also say that the suburbs are more unique and less cookie-cutter.

Chicago is a cleaner city...partially as a result of being newer. The airport is one of the biggest in the world, so you can always get a flight to where ever you want to go. Despite being a world class city, there's still a very midwestern vibe.

Both have dangerous areas and nice areas.

I'd personally lean toward Philly, simply because it has more flavor.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 7,883,333 times
Quote:
Chicago is very under priced for a world-class city.
That's subjective. I lived there for quite awhile and thought that it was actually somewhat overpriced, compared to other cities I lived in.

It's cheaper than NYC, but more expensive than Philly, I'd wager to say...

Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
i'd love to live in chicago. i'm a huge skyscraper fan.

only problem is, i have no desire to move to the midwest

Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 AM

769 posts, read 1,967,887 times
i'd choose chicago because of it's vibe, the number of things to do, and the incredible civic pride chicagoans have for their city. i'm always blown away by how much people from chicago stick up for their city.

philly on the other hand is kind of miserable in my opinion. philly people bash their city a lot. and i also think philly women are the least attractive women city women in america.......that or baltimore.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:29 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
i'd choose chicago because of it's vibe, the number of things to do, and the incredible civic pride chicagoans have for their city. i'm always blown away by how much people from chicago stick up for their city.

philly on the other hand is kind of miserable in my opinion. philly people bash their city a lot. and i also think philly women are the least attractive women city women in america.......that or baltimore.

what? center city women are mighty fine

i can't speak for the other neighborhoods

Old 05-13-2008, 11:57 AM

4,265 posts, read 7,187,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post

There are certainly miserable people in Philly, but they overwhemingly live in the slummy parts that would make anyone miserable. Center City is easily one of the most vibrant downtowns in the country filled with tons of attractive women. That is where people most definitely have lots of civic pride, not to mention the other huge swaths of stable, middle-class neighborhoods in Northeast and South Philly.

I'd obviously pick Philly because its my home area, but Chicago really seems like a fascinating city that I'd love to get to know more. It's one of my favorites for its urbanity and cool setting by Lake Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City