Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,672,881 times

Advertisements

I can't help but go while reading this thread.

The OP asked for a City (Municipality) with TWO DOWNTOWNS. TWO distinct DOWTOWNS. Not an area in the city where there are some commercial buildings, not a mid-rise office park in an adjacent suburb, not even sattellite city downtowns, a SECOND DOWNTOWN WITHIN THE CITY. There are VERY FEW cities in the US that can HAVE this.

LA - Downtown LA and Century City

Houston - Houston has the most lax planning and zoning of any major city, so no building requirements say that high rises MUST be built in a designated CBD like most cities, so this is why you'll see cluster high rises in a different parts than 'downtown'

Atlanta - Standards similar to Houston, but with more neighborhoods bring you multiple ATL skylines and 'downtowns'.

NYC - Brooklyn has a downtown as well has pretty much anything under 60th on Manhattan is 'downtown'

Mind you people, a SKYLINE does not = DOWNTOWN. And, DOWNTOWN does not = skyline.

Go research places like Thunder Bay, Ontario or Budapest, which actually used to be Buda and Pest!!

NOT Seattle, because Bellevue is not in Seattle, it's its own entity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 10:11 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,740,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post

The OP asked for a City (Municipality) with TWO DOWNTOWNS. TWO distinct DOWTOWNS. Not an area in the city where there are some commercial buildings, not a mid-rise office park in an adjacent suburb, not even sattellite city downtowns, a SECOND DOWNTOWN WITHIN THE CITY. There are VERY FEW cities in the US that can HAVE this.

LA - Downtown LA and Century City

Houston - Houston has the most lax planning and zoning of any major city, so no building requirements say that high rises MUST be built in a designated CBD like most cities, so this is why you'll see cluster high rises in a different parts than 'downtown'

Atlanta - Standards similar to Houston, but with more neighborhoods bring you multiple ATL skylines and 'downtowns'.

NYC - Brooklyn has a downtown as well has pretty much anything under 60th on Manhattan is 'downtown'

Mind you people, a SKYLINE does not = DOWNTOWN. And, DOWNTOWN does not = skyline.

Go research places like Thunder Bay, Ontario or Budapest, which actually used to be Buda and Pest!!

NOT Seattle, because Bellevue is not in Seattle, it's its own entity.
yes you're right, but most of the cities you mentioned are big and spread out. Cities like St. Louis are really small in terms of land area because of restrictions or whatever reasons. If Stl didn't have this restriction, Clayton would definitely be in the city limits. Clayton is basically a second downtown because it's right outside the city. It looks and feels like a downtown. I didn't say that the other skylines I mentioned are downtowns, I simply mentioned that they are the skylines inbetween Downtown Stl & Clayton that connect them.

Besides, this thread is 12 pages long, I'm sure all of the cities with 2 downtowns have already been mentioned. It doesn't hurt to mention the other cities that come pretty close.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:15 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
One must be careful to distinguish between a downtown and an "Edge City" a term used by Joel Garreau in his 1991 book of that title. The prime distinguishing characteristic is history and edge city "has none." So the only ones in the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex are downtown Dallas and downtown Ft Worth. Manhattan has midtown and downtown (Wall St.)

Old 05-22-2010, 11:02 AM

16 posts, read 17,986 times
Quote:

Below 60th street? What happend to Midtown Manhattan then???

New York fits the bill the best as because of its sheer size both Manhattan and Brooklyn have actuall "downtowns". Aside from the fact that most of Manhattan would be considered a "downtown" in any other city based on its density, amenities and population.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivingnow View Post

New York fits the bill the best as because of its sheer size both Manhattan and Brooklyn have actuall "downtowns". Aside from the fact that most of Manhattan would be considered a "downtown" in any other city based on its density, amenities and population.
Not too sure man, but I've often read that NYC's CBD starts at 60th, so then midtown would count as NYC's 2nd skyline and brooklyn it's third.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
yes you're right, but most of the cities you mentioned are big and spread out. Cities like St. Louis are really small in terms of land area because of restrictions or whatever reasons. If Stl didn't have this restriction, Clayton would definitely be in the city limits. Clayton is basically a second downtown because it's right outside the city. It looks and feels like a downtown. I didn't say that the other skylines I mentioned are downtowns, I simply mentioned that they are the skylines inbetween Downtown Stl & Clayton that connect them.

Besides, this thread is 12 pages long, I'm sure all of the cities with 2 downtowns have already been mentioned. It doesn't hurt to mention the other cities that come pretty close.

Yeah, good point! I like discussion

I think STL is similar to MPLS in that Bloomington borders MPLS to the south and has it's own skyline, but BLMGTN is it's own city. Had there not been annexaation issues, BLMNGTN might be part of MPLS? Maybe? Dont let BLMGTN residents see that though!

Old 05-22-2010, 05:26 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:

Atlanta is the only one of the four mentioned that isn't "big and spread out". Atlanta is a little larger than St. Louis, but not nearly as large as Houston/LA/NYC. Atlanta has three major employment centers ("downtowns") within the 132 square-mile city limits, and three other ones in the suburbs that are similar to Clayton.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,051 times
Quote:

Also in the St. Louis example. Part of the reason Clayton is outside city limits is due to a city/county divorce in the 1870's, otherwise Clayton would certinly be in the city now. Clayton does function as a 2nd CBD and not a edge city pattern due to some unique issues in the region.

Also are some of these pictures something else if the high-rises are not offices but residental structures? In St. Louis the two high-rise areas between Downtown St. Louis and Clayton (Midtown and CWE) are mainly residental buildings.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:37 PM

196 posts, read 613,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivingnow View Post

Midtown is actually south of 60th street. That's where Central Park begins, splitting Manhattan into two residential areas--UES and UWS.

However, I don't think I'd consider 23rd St. to 14th St. to be "downtowns" on the New York scale, so Midtown, Downtown, and Downtown Brooklyn really should count as three downtowns.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:06 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
Then you have serious issues, and need better things to do. May I suggest go outside? Ride a bike. Enjoy the sunshine, say hello to complete strangers. In other words, chill out man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City