Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is better don't be bias
Los angeles 27 36.99%
chicago 46 63.01%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,833,495 times

Advertisements

Both are great cities, but Chicago is too cold for me. And like others have said, Chicago has the superior URBAN downtown core, but LA has better surrounding areas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there must be at least 450 places of interest in LA county alone. I'm the type of person who likes living in a place where the surrounding areas can easily stack up to the Downtown urban core, and LA is the PERFECT example of a place like that, between Long Beach, Bel Air, Westwood, Brentwood, The Sunset Strip, Echo Park, Universal City, The Beach Cities, West LA, Hollywood, North Hollywood, West Hollywood, South Central, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, SF Valley, Then you got LA Live, Koreatown, Little Tokyo(I think), Chinatown etc, etc. Just SOOO many entertainment districts in LA County ALONE. THEN on top of THAT, you got the surrounding counties in SoCal, like Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, etc. That's just me though. Chicago still looks fun though, and I heard it is an AWESOME city. But I choose LA. Heck I'd choose LA over just about ANY city in the US outside of Texas and Florida, including NYC(No disrespect to any New Yorkers).

Last edited by polo89; 04-03-2010 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,704,115 times
Chicago is simply too cold. LA does seem a liitle awkward, but you can't beat the best weather in the U.S. So I'ma go with LA.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:49 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,961,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What is Chicago 'deep-dish' pizza. Kind of like thick-crust from Dominoes or Pizza Hut?
No, it's much more different than that. There's also Gino's deep dish pizza, where it's reverse, the toppings go underneath the pizza sauce. It's just way more different. But it tastes amazing.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,736,646 times
Well both are great cities, tough to compare, both are huge and many interesting things to do, I prefer Chicago but LA is growing on me, just glad I get to spend time in both really

Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,626,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
No, it's much more different than that. There's also Gino's deep dish pizza, where it's reverse, the toppings go underneath the pizza sauce. It's just way more different. But it tastes amazing.
I always liked Giordano's the best. Pizzanos on State and Madison had the best thin crust.

LA is in need of a place to get good Chicago Style deep dish. I searched high and low and couldnt find one. Here in Dallas, I can think of 4 or 5 within a short drive of here. I cant imagine a major city should be without good Chicago style pizza. If they opened a Giordano's in LA, it would make so much money I think.

Disclaimer: BJ's is NOT Chicago style pizza.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 AM

10,138 posts, read 15,961,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I always liked Giordano's the best. Pizzanos on State and Madison had the best thin crust.

LA is in need of a place to get good Chicago Style deep dish. I searched high and low and couldnt find one. Here in Dallas, I can think of 4 or 5 within a short drive of here. I cant imagine a major city should be without good Chicago style pizza. If they opened a Giordano's in LA, it would make so much money I think.

Disclaimer: BJ's is NOT Chicago style pizza.
I AGREE WITH THE LAST STATEMENT, BJ's is NOT Chicago style pizza, I don't know why everyone thinks that's what Chicago style really is like.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,336,726 times
What's wrong with "California-style" pizza? More creative with toppings one usually doesn't associate with pizza [ie. chicken, vegetables, Brie cheese, thin crust, etc.]. I think pizza is more likely a healthier meal in Los Angeles compared to Chicago [ie. less calories, fresher ingredients].

Old 04-03-2010, 11:01 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,358,813 times
Ironically, I have many relatives who live out in Chicago or nearby in Indiana or Chicago's Western suburbs. Every time someone from there comes and visits my family in LA, the first thing they comment is 'how much traffic there is' or how its changed since they first came to the United States in the late 70s-early 80s (LA being a major port of entry, split evenly with Hawaii and San Francisco for most Filipino immigrants).

I haven't made my way out to Chicago though, and I hope to do so soon. I'm planning an I-80 cross country trip soon (since most of the law schools I'm applying to happen to be near I-80 or within a 2 hour drive of it), so it will give me a chance to see the Great Lakes and the Midwest. Pretty excited about that!

Personally, I don't think it receives enough media attention for such a great city it seems to be. Dense urban core, very diverse populace, a tinge of a Midwestern touch, and a nice lake next to it. It seems that the only reason Chicago ever makes the news nowadays is either for its crime rate or Barack Obama.

PS: Italian Beef sounds good! Also, I really want to try Chicago style pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Both are great cities, but Chicago is too cold for me. And like others have said, Chicago has the superior URBAN downtown core, but LA has better surrounding areas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there must be at least 450 places of interest in LA county alone. I'm the type of person who likes living in a place where the surrounding areas can easily stack up to the Downtown urban core, and LA is the PERFECT example of a place like that, between Long Beach, Bel Air, Westwood, Brentwood, The Sunset Strip, Echo Park, Universal City, The Beach Cities, West LA, Hollywood, North Hollywood, West Hollywood, South Central, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, SF Valley, Then you got LA Live, Koreatown, Little Tokyo(I think), Chinatown etc, etc. Just SOOO many entertainment districts in LA County ALONE. THEN on top of THAT, you got the surrounding counties in SoCal, like Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, etc. That's just me though. Chicago still looks fun though, and I heard it is an AWESOME city. But I choose LA. Heck I'd choose LA over just about ANY city in the US outside of Texas and Florida, including NYC(No disrespect to any New Yorkers).
You really need to make it out here! You have way more enthusiasm about LA than I do, and I live here! I think the best part about LA though is due to its size, you will always discover new things to see! That's why it sucks being a tourist here for only a few days or a week because you get such a limited impression about what LA is all about. If you come here, you should find someone who is from LA to show you the good stuff. All the touristy stuff is overrated (can't stress this enough), especially Hollywood.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:43 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,626,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What's wrong with "California-style" pizza? More creative with toppings one usually doesn't associate with pizza [ie. chicken, vegetables, Brie cheese, thin crust, etc.]. I think pizza is more likely a healthier meal in Los Angeles compared to Chicago [ie. less calories, fresher ingredients].
Its not so much that theres anything wrong with it, it just different. I like them both, but Chicago style is my favorite. You are right that California styled pizza (which tends to be very creative on the topings) is much healthier.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:51 PM

698 posts, read 1,505,287 times
L.A winds hand down. Chicago has a nice skyline and downtown but in the winter it is f'ing miserable. Christmas in LA is like 75 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City