Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is better don't be bias
Los angeles 27 36.99%
chicago 46 63.01%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 01:21 PM

334 posts, read 1,268,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I don't agree with most of your points [btw though I live in Los Angeles, I went to college near Chicago & have visited the area several times].

Skyline: that's a toss-up IMO. Chicago is more high-rise & being along Lake Michigan provides a nice backdrop. LA's skyline is fairly impressive but more due to the mountains & foothills.

Sports: Chicago has the NFL but LA has 2 NBA teams & 2 baseball teams. Playing sports is a year-round activity in LA [not so in Chicago]. Plus there are more sports activities to do in Los Angeles [ie surfing, mountain hiking/biking, skiing, etc]. Los Angeles is more sports-oriented.

Weather: enough said

Parks: can't say since I don't recall any major parks in Chicago but with the aforementioned beaches/mountains [ie Santa Monica Mts. conservancy] I think LA has much more park space.

Shopping: don't really know

Performing Arts: without a doubt that goes to Los Angeles [esp with TV shows, more entertainment]

Beaches: you've got to be kidding!

Music: LA is the music recording capital of the nation plus much more opportunity to see performing artists.

TV/Movies: agree with you, of-course

Public Transportation: Chicago

Dining: again, no way that Chicago compares to Los Angeles in the variety of restaurants. California cuisine is admired worldwide due to the availability of fresh fruit/vegetables, wines, fish etc

Standard of living: ?

Museums: also not sure but museums in LA tend to be in beautiful settings [ie Getty Center high on a hill overlooking the LA basin & coastline]

People: more diverse in LA than Chicago, more interesting in LA also [celebrities]

Cityscape: sounds like the same as skyline but overall I think LA has a more interesting cityscape due again to the terrain [mountains, valleys, variety of trees, etc]

Culture: again Los Angeles has very diverse cultures more so than Chicago

Neighborhoods: Chicago has wealthy areas just like LA but in terms of well-know areas Los Angeles wins [ie Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Hollywood]

Hotels/Landmarks: ?

Importance/influence: LA

Air: ?

Beauty: come on, how can you suggest Chicago is more beautiful than LA? Aside from the buildings/lake Chicago doesn't compare to the beauty of the mts/ocean, plants/trees that flower year-round, palms.

Skyline: There's no contest

vs.

Sports again no contest.
Chicago Bears 1 Super Bowl Win, 8 League Championships
Chicago Cubs 2 World Series Wins
Chicago White Sox 3 World Series Wins
Chicago Bulls 6 NBA Championships
Chicago Blackhawks 3 Stanley Cups
plus we have one of the best sport staduims in existance

We have the most devoted fans of any city in the world.

Last edited by CubsGiantsIndiansfan2008; 05-26-2008 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 03:01 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Here's mine (my opinion only, as I live in Chicago and have been to LA on several occasions):

Skyline: Chicago

Sports: Chicago (It's THE sports city of the US)

Weather: LA by a longshot

Shopping: Tie (both cities have great varieties of shopping venus and markets)

Parks: Chicago (can't beat Millennium Park and Lincoln Park, as well as the rest along the lakefront)

Performing Arts: Chicago for plays and broadway, LA for film and TV

Beaches: LA

Music: Chicago

Old 05-26-2008, 04:01 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
If the city limits is included (not just the downtown area), Los Angeles has many nice parks...

Old 05-26-2008, 04:32 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Quote:
it's like comparing chicken to south america
I would choose South America because it has more then just one chicken...

I would choose Los Angeles, but thats cause it fits me more.
Chicago is nice though, but to say a city is better would be opinion... not fact... people often forget that here...
ThePR is Correct, it is impossible to be biased, not only to residents but to everyone. Someone who wants to live the California dream would choose Los Angeles, yet that doesn't have to do with whether the 'city is better'....
I expect this to go up in Flames after a while...I don't recall seeing a Chicago vs Los Angeles...
I say Los Angeles though...

Also... about the cuisine thing... California has the whole Wine thing going for it... but Los Angeles is not California... it is IN California... no grapes grown in LA.... What is more so I don't recall California cuisine being so popular besides California rolls and Sbarros Pizza at the Airport...
Weather is all OPINION, i wish people would all get that through their heads...
as for beach... while the LA one might be better looking and what not Chicago has fresh water... which is very attractive... and Chicago isn't so dry either... Dry=Death(or pay through the nose prices)=Bad...
^
Those parks in City limits are they? They see too rural...

Last edited by CMDallas; 05-26-2008 at 04:43 PM..

Old 05-26-2008, 09:17 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I don't agree with most of your points [btw though I live in Los Angeles, I went to college near Chicago & have visited the area several times].

Skyline: that's a toss-up IMO. Chicago is more high-rise & being along Lake Michigan provides a nice backdrop. LA's skyline is fairly impressive but more due to the mountains & foothills.

Sports: Chicago has the NFL but LA has 2 NBA teams & 2 baseball teams. Playing sports is a year-round activity in LA [not so in Chicago]. Plus there are more sports activities to do in Los Angeles [ie surfing, mountain hiking/biking, skiing, etc]. Los Angeles is more sports-oriented.

Weather: enough said

Parks: can't say since I don't recall any major parks in Chicago but with the aforementioned beaches/mountains [ie Santa Monica Mts. conservancy] I think LA has much more park space.

Shopping: don't really know

Performing Arts: without a doubt that goes to Los Angeles [esp with TV shows, more entertainment]

Beaches: you've got to be kidding!

Music: LA is the music recording capital of the nation plus much more opportunity to see performing artists.

TV/Movies: agree with you, of-course

Public Transportation: Chicago

Dining: again, no way that Chicago compares to Los Angeles in the variety of restaurants. California cuisine is admired worldwide due to the availability of fresh fruit/vegetables, wines, fish etc

Standard of living: ?

Museums: also not sure but museums in LA tend to be in beautiful settings [ie Getty Center high on a hill overlooking the LA basin & coastline]

People: more diverse in LA than Chicago, more interesting in LA also [celebrities]

Cityscape: sounds like the same as skyline but overall I think LA has a more interesting cityscape due again to the terrain [mountains, valleys, variety of trees, etc]

Culture: again Los Angeles has very diverse cultures more so than Chicago

Neighborhoods: Chicago has wealthy areas just like LA but in terms of well-know areas Los Angeles wins [ie Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Hollywood]

Hotels/Landmarks: ?

Importance/influence: LA

Air: ?

Beauty: come on, how can you suggest Chicago is more beautiful than LA? Aside from the buildings/lake Chicago doesn't compare to the beauty of the mts/ocean, plants/trees that flower year-round, palms.
Skyline a toss up!? there is NO competition like Chicago's

Sports you forgot to mention the fact that Chicago has two teams IN the city not just with the name.

Weather, yeah LA is fine if it's not in the summer, for me.

Parks is a no brainer, Chicago has more parks per square miles, thank you M. Daley

Shopping I can't say, but we have the mag mile and state street.

preforming arts, I can't say but we do have a lot of theatres

Beaches, Chicago has really nice ones, so does LA. Hard to say.

Chicago, as listed in another thread, has a lot of talent from here.

TV would be LA.

Transportation Chicago

Dining? You hear about Chicago food all the time, LA?

Standard of living, overall LA but Chicago's best neighborhoods are better than LA's and Santa Monica is it's own city as is Beverly Hills. but we have the Gold Coast

Museum's Shedd, Field, Science and Industry = a Chicago win

Chicago is more diverse by far above posts say why

Cityscape = skyline

Hotels/landmarks the Drake, Fort Deerborn Water tower

Importance, I don't know what to compare here

Air, Chicago doesn't have smog

Beauty Chicago looks like a city, LA doesn't look bad but to quote someone else from the forum (don't remember) "LA looks like a giant suburb"

I also hate palm trees, and they aren't natural to LA.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:55 AM

312 posts, read 1,519,158 times
Chicago is crap for LA!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:05 AM

4 posts, read 19,021 times
i voted chicago but i lived in LA all my life

Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony from Europe View Post
Chicago is crap for LA!
Youre sitting in Croatia. Have you been to either?

Didnt think so.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:14 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
This is a hard one. On one hand, I like the city feel of Chicago but you can't beat the LA lifestyle. Plus the weather and the beautiful women. The women in the midwest don't compare. I think I would pick Chicago because I like the urbanity, subways, street scene and its compactness in the DT area. LA is nice too but it is too suburbanish for me. Hard choice!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Plus the weather and the beautiful women. The women in the midwest don't compare
Hmmm, I wonder where the women in LA came from originally? Youd be hard pressed to find natives in CA.

Some of the most gorgeous women to grace Hollywood were midwestern... Raquel Welch, Denise Richards, Adrienne Curry, Cindy Crawford, Jenny McCarthy, etc, etc. All I know is that when Im in Chicago, there are PLENTY of fine looking women around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City