Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is better don't be bias
Los angeles 27 36.99%
chicago 46 63.01%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

It wasn't an argument, it was a question. But you're so argumentative you can't even tell the difference. Which is why I haven't bothered to respond to the substance (thin as it is) of anything you've said for the last several pages.

If I were arguing Chicago vs. LA, or LA vs. anywhere for that matter, I sure wouldn't hang my hat on Hollywood. But if you want to, go ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Hollywood glamor? Have you ever actually been to Hollywood?
I actually kind of wish Hollywood wasn't here, because maybe LA would actually develop a more sustainable type of economic model than the one it has right now. People tend to forget that the biggest industries in LA during the time when LA boomed was manufacturing, aerospace, and ports. Hollywood was an afterthought, since there was so much federal dollars pumped into the LA area due to the importance of national defense.

In that way, we actually had a LOT in common with Chicago, in addition to the millions of transplants from the Midwest that settled in SoCal during the early-mid 20th century.

After the Cold War ended, most of the manufacturing and aerospace firms left LA. Now we have an over-reliance on the service sector and...entertainment. Good thing that we still have the port! The problem with those two industries is that it doesn't exactly bring the most educated people here (especially entertainment), so we are stuck with low-level jobs here.

Kind of wish there was a way for the LA Area to develop more wealth Maybe we can look to Chicago for a way to diversify the economy, since we do have more in common (I think way more in common than LA has with NYC).

Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
It wasn't an argument, it was a question. But you're so argumentative you can't even tell the difference. Which is why I haven't bothered to respond to the substance (thin as it is) of anything you've said for the last several pages.

If I were arguing Chicago vs. LA, or LA vs. anywhere for that matter, I sure wouldn't hang my hat on Hollywood. But if you want to, go ahead.
I'm not hanging anything on Hollywood but the economy of Los Angeles is very much connected to television\ movie industry. The reason LA has such an impact on the nation is the very fact that Hollywood is so powerful. I included the comment about Oprah because of the very reason that once her show ends in Chicago she will return to Los Angeles to broaden her influence\ career. Why isn't she staying in Chicago? BTW, she's had a house in Montecito\ Santa Barbara for years. Why didn't she find a second house in Illinois?

You may not like to read about how Chicago stacks up against Los Angeles but don't take is personally. Chicago is not called the "second city" by accident. It is a very significant city & the most influential in the Midwest but not on either coast.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM

First of all, I'm not nearly as invested in how Chicago stacks up against X city as you are about how LA stacks up. Chicago stands on its own merits. And for that matter, so does L.A. And that's why the inferiority complex you have about L.A. that is evident in every one of your posts is so bizarre.

Second, Oprah does have a home in Illinois. And one in Indiana too.

Third, her home in California is in Montecito, not Hollywood. Slight difference, don't you think?

Finally, you don't even know why Chicago is called "Second City."

Last edited by Drover; 04-11-2010 at 10:44 AM..

Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I actually kind of wish Hollywood wasn't here, because maybe LA would actually develop a more sustainable type of economic model than the one it has right now. People tend to forget that the biggest industries in LA during the time when LA boomed was manufacturing, aerospace, and ports. Hollywood was an afterthought, since there was so much federal dollars pumped into the LA area due to the importance of national defense.

In that way, we actually had a LOT in common with Chicago, in addition to the millions of transplants from the Midwest that settled in SoCal during the early-mid 20th century.

After the Cold War ended, most of the manufacturing and aerospace firms left LA. Now we have an over-reliance on the service sector and...entertainment. Good thing that we still have the port! The problem with those two industries is that it doesn't exactly bring the most educated people here (especially entertainment), so we are stuck with low-level jobs here.

Kind of wish there was a way for the LA Area to develop more wealth Maybe we can look to Chicago for a way to diversify the economy, since we do have more in common (I think way more in common than LA has with NYC).
Well, it's getting its share of hi-tech startups and the like now, but it's still vastly behind the Bay Area. The thing is, the film industry's been branching out to other locations and Hollywood's been taking a pretty heavy hit so the city really has no choice but to diversify now.

I do believe it's great location and glamorous history will cause people to continue to come to the area as it becomes a better, more cohesive city.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

Could disagree with you more! Who wants to be like Chicago? I'd much rather have the excitement of being the movie capital & entertainment center of the nation than more areospace factories! Not sure what you mean by "educated people". Are you suggesting that writers, producers\ directors\ actors are not educated? All that goes with the industry including set designers\ artists\ choreographers\ cinematographers\ composers\ technical advisers\ cameramen\women, etc [the list goes on & on]. These are creative people who tend to be progressive thinkers & interested in the environment not some smoke stack industry.

Los Angeles is a wealthy city in many ways & doesn't need to look to Chicago for anything in my opinion. In-fact, it is the other way around. Chicago would love to get more television\ movie production like many other cities.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
First of all, I'm not nearly as invested in how Chicago stacks up against X city as you are about how LA stacks up. Chicago stands on its own merits. And for that matter, so does L.A. And that's why the inferiority complex you have about L.A. that is evident in every one of your posts is so bizarre.

Second, Oprah does have a home in Illinois. And one in Indiana too.

Third, her home in California is in Montecito, not Hollywood. Slight difference, don't you think?

Finally, you don't even know why Chicago is called "Second City."
Calling me names suggests that it is "you" who has an "inferiority complex." If I wrote anything that is not factual, please correct me. I am a big boy who does not get crushed if proven wrong. Let's leave personal attacks out of the discussion so that the facts aren't undermined by emotion.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Could disagree with you more! Who wants to be like Chicago? I'd much rather have the excitement of being the movie capital & entertainment center of the nation than more areospace factories! Not sure what you mean by "educated people". Are you suggesting that writers, producers\ directors\ actors are not educated? All that goes with the industry including set designers\ artists\ choreographers\ [SIZE=2]cinematographers\ composers\ technical advisers\ cameramen\women, etc [the list goes on & on]. These are creative people who tend to be progressive thinkers & interested in the environment not some smoke stack industry.

Los Angeles is a wealthy city in many ways & doesn't need to look to Chicago for anything in my opinion. In-fact, it is the other way around. Chicago would love to get more television\ movie production like many other cities.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
I fail to see how being the movie capital anything spectacular.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Calling me names suggests that it is "you" who has an "inferiority complex." If I wrote anything that is not factual, please correct me. I am a big boy who does not get crushed if proven wrong. Let's leave personal attacks out of the discussion so that the facts aren't undermined by emotion.
I didn't call you any names, so you might want to work on you reading comprehension skills.

You're not the least bit interested in facts, you're interested in arguing, so much so that you'll stretch any argument no matter how tenuous to elevate L.A. above Chicago (hence your inferiority complex). To wit: "We even make better Chicago pizza here! How I know that is anyone's guess since I've never even been to Chicago, but I'll gladly claim we do it better here, just to be argumentative."

That was my clue to not bother taking you seriously. I have no inclination to engage people who are more interested in an argument than a discussion, so cast your bait in someone else's pond.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I fail to see how being the movie capital anything spectacular.
Well, let's put it this way: why does Hollywood & California have global recognition? Movies are a huge export of ideas\ culture\ etc. Movies like "To Kill a Mockingbird" helped America accept equal rights for Blacks. Gay people have been tremendously helped by what Hollywood puts on the TV screens. We are talking about ideas that influence the nation. Creative ways to attract attention include stupid situation comedies & "real world" shows ad nauseam but in those sometimes tedious programs comes tolerance of others & a better way to deal. TV has had a huge impact on the U.S. To suggest otherwise is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City