U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 06:37 PM

35 posts, read 137,765 times

Advertisements

http://www.orbitz.com/car-info/CO/C1441-1.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 07:57 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,773,609 times
Perhaps we might disagree without the words idiot and retard?

Old 01-25-2007, 12:03 AM

181 posts, read 629,324 times
cpm725,

You have definitely crossed the line in terms of respecting other members on this forum. Nobody has personally attacked you or insulted you in the same manner as you have shown in your earlier post. It's perfectly acceptable to disagree with somebody without having to resort to childish outbursts and namecalling as the most prominent means to succeed in your argument. Clean it up if you want to retain your posting privileges and be taken serious within these forums.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM

3,185 posts, read 11,057,545 times
Greetings cpm725 (and others) -

I have to confess, cpm725, I did not mean to strike such a personal nerve with you and anger you so. If I said anything whatsoever of a personally attacking nature, I sincerely apologize to you and to all others on these forums.

I realize that you feel that my statistically-sighted averages are incorrect, however, let me assure you that they weren't from me, as I noted in my post above, they were cited from the Weather Channel (www.weather.com) and various Denver, CO and Albuquerque, NM government and/or economically-based websites. I do not think that any of these sources would have a vested reason to "lie" about the climatic statistics of either region.

Having just spent much time in both cities, I feel personally it is very inaccurate to state that Denver has a warmer climate in the summer (or any time) on average than ABQ, or that Denver receives approximately the same amount of snowfall as ABQ - and statistics seem to fully support my notions.

Again, if you would like to supply sources or documentation (links or articles - I saw your car rental link but it didn't really get into climatic statistics) that support the notion that the average snowfall between the two cities is similar, that Denver is warmer than ABQ in summer, or that Denver is in fact a desert, please, by all means post them and I will heartily apologize for any misleading facts that I may have posted.

But please be assured that my disputing your climatic facts was in no way intended to be a personal attack or something to cause an angered dispute.

(Also, I don't think in any way my post could have been construed as to "knocking" Denver in any way. As I stated above, I have many relatives who reside there and I always enjoy my visits there. I actually enjoy the cooler weather and the larger snow quantities, in addition to many other aspects of Denver - differences between cities and regions is what makes travel or relocation appealing! We all enjoy different things.)

Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 PM

35 posts, read 137,765 times
I know what it's like here, I've lived here my whole life, so I think its fair to say that I can say what I want about it here.

Last edited by LLD; 02-10-2007 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: removed challenging statement

Old 02-10-2007, 01:59 AM

181 posts, read 629,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpm725 View Post
If you have a degree in climatology and in geography then I will believe your facts that you have made. I know what it's like here, I've lived here my whole life, so I think its fair to say that I can say what I want about it here.
I believe that we all like to qualify ourselves as "experts" about the climate of the places we live in. But the facts you are seeking are provided in the links above in the form of information analyzed and compiled by people who have degrees associated with weather patterns based on geography.

Last edited by LLD; 02-10-2007 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: removed sarcastic comment

Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,773,609 times
Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that. Thank you.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:23 PM

66 posts, read 275,913 times
Default Well....

Denver and Albuquerque do have a lot of similarities, but also plenty of differences.

Weather: Both are pretty semi arid to arid lcimates. However, Denver recieves more snow annually than ABQ. With that said, the winters in denver are not nearly as bad as one might think. The snow often melts before night fall or by the next morning for sure. Sure, there are snow storms where you will see snow for a couple of days, and sometimes blizzards but not every year by any means. snow does happen in ABQ but not nearly as much and it melts rapidly as well. Both have hot and dry summers with little precipitation, but ABQ tends to be a couple degrees hotter. Pueblo, CO is almost identical with the heat temperatures to ABQ. It gets cold in ABQ during the winter, usually in the 40's and 50's for high's and into the 30's and 20's for the lows. The high's in denver are genreally the same for the winter, However, it gets just a little bit colder in denver for the low temp, with the winter lows into the 20's and the teens. the mountains around ABQ recieve large amounts of snow, and so do the mountains around denver.

In conclusion, both climates are pretty comparible, but have a few minor differences.

Geogrpahy: Both are part of the western united states, mountain west states, and southwest states. Yes, denver/colorado is considered part of the southwest as well, same region as nevada, utah, arizona and new mexico. (I HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY DENVER/COLORADO IS PART OF THE MIDWEST. IT IS NOT!) Both are located in valley's. yes, denver is located in the south platte river valley, which shields it as well from the harsh weather in the mountains and from the high plains further east into the midwest states.

pretty similar geograhically speaking.

School: The schools in the nice perts of the denver suburbs are very good. However, most schools in the city of denver and the crappy areas into the places not in city limits are not good at all. the crappy schools not in the city of denver are around jefferson high, alameda high, adams city high, aurora central high, hinkley high, etc. i do not think ABQ has very many suburbs, seeing as its not nearly as big as denver, so i cant comment on those. but the schools in ABQ are not very good either. Both graduate about the same percentage of students, 52%, and both have large hispanic/mexican populations in the school system.

so the schools are pretty comparable, but denver probably has better schools options in the nicer areas of the city, seeing as its so much bigger, it has more options for nicer schools.

Size: denver has over 600,000 in the city of denver and over 3.1 million in the denver metro area. ABQ has about 530,000 in the city of ABQ and about 870,000 in the metro area. denver is much larger than ABQ, with ABQ being more similar to Colorado Springs in terms of size. that could mean good or bad depending on the person.

denver is a much bigger city than ABQ.

Traffic: having visited ABQ many times, i do not think the traffic is bad at all. even in rush hour you can get from place to another in about 20-30 minutes. in denver, if you wanna get from one end of town tot he other, it may take over an hour or more depending on the day. traffic is pretty bad in denver, but not nealry as bad as LA or DC or NYC.

traffic is much better in ABQ, much less traffic.

Natural Beauty: both have the mountains and many natural wodners in their state. both are four corner states and have nice mountains and skiing as well. the mountains by denver may be a little taller, but are genreally about the same with snow on the mountains during the winter and the snow often melts in the summer in both cities.

both have great natural wonders by the city and in each state, as well as all of the southwest USA.

People: ABQ is 44% non hispanic white, 3.5% African American, 2.6% asian, 5.1% native american, and 44% latino (about 35% mexican american). Denver is 50.7% non hispanic white, 9.6% african american, 3.3% asian, 1.1% native american, and 34.1% latino (31% mexican american).

both have roughly similar precentages of white populations and fairly similar asian populations, with denver having more asians in its metro area. ABQ has a way higher population of native americans than denver does though. However, denver has a way higher amount of african americans than ABQ does, and plenty of african americans in upper east denver and southeast denver. both have extremely large populations and percentages of latino americans (mostly mexican americans), with ABQ having a high percentage, due to denvers large diversity, similar to LA/ VEGAS, etc.

Crime and Gangs: crime in generally pretty similar and roughly equal most years, with some eyars ABQ having a higher rate of crime, but denver having more crimes reported due to denver being much larger.The murder rate in ABQ between 1999 and 2008 have been 11.4, 7.5, 7.5, 11.1, 10.9, 8.6, 10.8, 6.8, 9.2, and 7.2. In denver its been 12.4, 6.0, 7.9, 8.8, 11.1, 15.4, 10.5, 9.0, 8.2, 6.7. pretty similar, with each city having higher spikes of murders and denver having the highest. Rape is prettys similar, with denver having slightly higher rate of that. robbery is similar, both having high spikes, but ABQ having the highest. the assault rate in ABQ is much higher than denver's. burglary rates are pretty similar, with both having high spikes, but ABQ having the highest. the larceny theft rate tends to be high er in ABQ as well. the auto theft rate in denver tends to be higher than ABQ.

the total crime index from 99-08 for ABQ has been 776, 715, 696, 642, 586, 579, 581, 587, 579 and 573. in dnever its been 446, 420, 447, 459, 496, 547, 574, 491, 410, and 351. the crime rate in ABQ tends to be pretty similar and higher on some years, but more crimes are reported in denver metro area, because of its way higher population.

both cities have large gang culture, with ABQ having roughly 75-100 gangs with an estimated 10,000 members. and denver having roughly 150-200 gangs with over 20,000 members. of course both cities have gang populations and gang neighborhoods. both cities have mostly hispanic/mexicana merican gangs, with denver having more african americans gangs than ABQ. also, both states have gangs in other areas in the state as well, moslty mexican. in NM hteres also gangs in Las Cruces and Santa fe and other small towns with high mexican populations. in coloraod theres also gangs in colorado springs, greeley, pueblo, and other small towns with high mexican popualtions.

so the cities are pretty similar in many aspects and slightly differnt in others as well. NEW MEXICO and COLORADO are pretty similar themselves too. in colorado, there are the high plains in the eastern part of the state and mountains running through the satate as well. also, coloraod have scattered desert lands as well in central, southern and southwestern colorado. new mexico has the high plains in the eastern portion of NM too and mountains running through the state (NM has the rocky mountains in part of their state as well). NM also has many, many desert lands too. also, both are very rich in their spanish culture and have many hispanos all throughout the state. i love colorado and i also really love new mexico as well.

Last edited by inskeep303; 10-28-2010 at 07:45 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 AM

3,569 posts, read 5,777,300 times
albuquerque has 10,000 gang members?!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 AM

66 posts, read 275,913 times
Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
albuquerque has 10,000 gang members?!
That's an estimate i heard on this one gangland episode about a street gang in ABQ. i know the denver number because they have a gang task force page and its in their CBI database and i heard a rough 150-200 estimate from denver PD on gangland. so the denver number is right on 100%, but i'd say ABQ has roughly that many, maybe less though due its smaller size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or