Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better food scene?
Houston 48 66.67%
Miami 24 33.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 08:21 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times

Advertisements

I think Houston takes this but I love the Caribbean food in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 08:24 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
agree with most of this.

For Lebanese/Med if you ever make it this way, try Maroosh in Coral Gables and Amal in the Grove (same restaurant group out of Toronto that owns Byblos on the beach)....aside from that Abba Telavivian is solid Israeli cuisine on the beach; Greek and Turkish is good here (Mandolin Aegean, Estiatorio Milos, Doya, Tur and Sea Grill). Not including Nusr-et here; rather placing it in the steakhouse category.

Agree with fine dining (including NYC imports from Major Food Group, CA’s Thomas Keller and Philly’s Stephen Starr) and I would elaborate on "European"--Miami is very solid with Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and French. Caviar Russe is a very good Russian restaurant.

Agree Houston has more Asian and more diversity--not to say Miami does not have any good Asian. Hutong is excellent authentic Chinese; Miami has some of the best Peking Duck I have had in the States, many excellent sushi restaurants, Korean BBQ (Cote and KYU very solid) and even Vietnamese (Phuc Yea)--if not as wide a selection as Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I can get on board with most of this except for the Lebanese. I am Lebanese myself and I think that is about equal with both being very good. Neither city is Detroit (which is the uncontested King of Lebanese food outside of Lebanon) but both are very solid here. Houston also has a few great Greek places but not nearly as many as Miami.

To further clarify, where Miami has the biggest lead would be with fine dining and food from the Caribbean. Both Miami and Houston are top notch when it comes to food from Central America. Miami has a lot more Nicaraguan and Houston a lot more Salvadoran. Guatemalan and Honduran are extremely plentiful in both. In terms of quality, there isn't a big difference between Colombian and Venezuelan, however Miami just has a much bigger breadth of options. Miami of course is way ahead of Houston when it comes to the other nations in South America. Houston has Argentine, Peruvian, Brazilian, etc. restaurants just not nearly in the numbers Miami does.

I think the actual area where Houston outshines Miami the hardest (besides Asian and African food) is innovation in regional cuisine like Viet-Cajun.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-20-2022 at 08:33 AM..

Old 12-20-2022, 08:27 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
For me, I have a pretty strong emphasis on East Asian, Southeast Asian, and Mexican cuisines and those squarely go to Houston. I also really like Italian, Central Asian and Eastern European, and I don't think either of them are all that strong in those categories.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:36 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
I did vote for Houston. It's hard to beat in quality, diversity and depth. However, ANY of the top 30 cities will have more food than we can shake a stick at.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:37 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Miami has very good Italian restaurants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
For me, I have a pretty strong emphasis on East Asian, Southeast Asian, and Mexican cuisines and those squarely go to Houston. I also really like Italian, Central Asian and Eastern European, and I don't think either of them are all that strong in those categories.

Old 12-20-2022, 09:01 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Maybe I need to take another trip to Miami specifically but I was not impressed at all. I actually thought Fort Lauderdale had better restaurants than Miami.

But I definitely picked Houston

Old 12-20-2022, 09:14 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Miami has very good Italian restaurants.

Yea, I can see that. I guess I just didn't go for them while I was there, but it demographically makes sense in regards to Italian American from the northeastern states as well as a pretty international and well-heeled crowd that more authentic and higher end Italian cuisine might attract.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:16 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Yeah, Miami has a terrific Italian food scene.

Overall, I personally prefer Miami over Houston, but that is largely because my palate enjoys Caribbean and Latin dishes more than anything else.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Miami has some of the best Italian food that I have had outside of Italy.

Old 12-20-2022, 10:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yeah, Miami has a terrific Italian food scene.

Overall, I personally prefer Miami over Houston, but that is largely because my palate enjoys Caribbean and Latin dishes more than anything else.
Yeah. That also makes it closer for me. But Houston’s Asian food ties it up for my liking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City