Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 08:48 AM

12,564 posts, read 21,718,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Not all rooftop bars need to be 40+ stories to enjoy the sky or views.

Even in a city with the most and many higher floor rooftops 5 of my NYC favorites are 12th floor Dream Hotel downtown, 13th floor Refinery, 18th floor Broken Shaker at Freehand Hotel, 20th floor 230 5th (killer view of Empire State Building) and 22nd floor Westlight at William Vale (awesome views and ambiance of the Manhattan skyline from Brooklyn).
I thought MDAllstar meant 40+ rooftops, not necessarily 40+ stories (they're in DC where that's not really a possibility).

I agree with you that they don't need to be tall to be a great experience. One of my personal favorites is a 4th floor spot a few blocks away. It's small, intimate, and has great harbor views. That said, I'm looking forward to the outdoor bar opening up this summer on the 51st floor of the Prudential Center here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 08:58 AM

7,368 posts, read 6,414,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I thought MDAllstar meant 40+ rooftops, not necessarily 40+ stories (they're in DC where that's not really a possibility).

I agree with you that they don't need to be tall to be a great experience. One of my personal favorites is a 4th floor spot a few blocks away. It's small, intimate, and has great harbor views. That said, I'm looking forward to the outdoor bar opening up this summer on the 51st floor of the Prudential Center here.
Ok, got it.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:51 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I don’t know about that. There are only a handful of cities in America that reach the 40+ rooftop count. Finding a ton of places that are exposed to the sky where you can sit outside on the roof and purchase food or beverages in city limits is pretty rare. Most cities in America only have a handful.
I think most major cities had a good bit. Those over 5 million have over 40.

Old 05-05-2023, 10:04 AM

13,678 posts, read 15,574,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Not all rooftop bars need to be 40+ stories to enjoy the sky or views.

Even in a city with the most and many higher floor rooftops 5 of my NYC favorites are 12th floor Dream Hotel downtown, 13th floor Refinery, 18th floor Broken Shaker at Freehand Hotel, 20th floor 230 5th (killer view of Empire State Building) and 22nd floor Westlight at William Vale (awesome views and ambiance of the Manhattan skyline from Brooklyn).
40+ stories? I said only a few cities have more than 40 rooftops within city limits. This has nothing to do with the height of those rooftops.

Old 05-05-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think most major cities had a good bit. Those over 5 million have over 40.
Which cities would you say reach that count? It would be nice to see a list of the rooftops within cities. The rooftop guide posted previously is a pretty good apples to apples comparison for cities and seems pretty comprehensive. There are going to be more spots than the ones they listed, but it’s probably accurate because all cities have more spots than they list.

Only NYC, LA, DC, Chicago, and Miami seem to have a large number of spots.

Old 05-05-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Which cities would you say reach that count? It would be nice to see a list of the rooftops within cities. The rooftop guide posted previously is a pretty good apples to apples comparison for cities and seems pretty comprehensive. There are going to be more spots than the ones they listed, but it’s probably accurate because all cities have more spots than they list.

Only NYC, LA, DC, Chicago, and Miami seem to have a large number of spots.
I'll add SF, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta to this as well. Large numbers of them. I would not doubt that other cities per capita has a large number such as New Orleans, San Diego, Austin, Boston, etc. It would be nice to see a list but most large cities have loads of them now and more are opening in pretty much every city. That site you listed doesn't really give out a big list. I am seeing many missing for DC, Houston, Miami that I've been to.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I'll add SF, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta to this as well. Large numbers of them. I would not doubt that other cities per capita has a large number such as New Orleans, San Diego, Austin, Boston, etc. It would be nice to see a list but most large cities have loads of them now and more are opening in pretty much every city. That site you listed doesn't really give out a big list. I am seeing many missing for DC, Houston, Miami that I've been to.
There weren’t more than 10-15 listed for those cities. Do you have a more comprehensive list for them?

Old 05-05-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
There weren’t more than 10-15 listed for those cities. Do you have a more comprehensive list for them?
They simply didn't name them all for those cities. I doubt there is any site that will name them all for a city.

This one is Houston and counts 37 alone and all but a couple are inside the loop and they are missing several in Uptown.
https://wanderlog.com/list/geoCatego...ars-in-houston

This one is Dallas and counts 39 alone and most are inside loop 12.
https://wanderlog.com/list/geoCatego...bars-in-dallas

This one is for Atlanta which counts 47 alone.
https://wanderlog.com/list/geoCatego...ars-in-atlanta

Old 05-05-2023, 03:26 PM

8,735 posts, read 6,657,018 times
Maybe somebody has said this. But a hilly city doesn't really need rooftops to have great views. Just be on the edge of a hill.

Seattle doesn't have many rooftop places. But we have a **** ton of view places.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
They simply didn't name them all for those cities. I doubt there is any site that will name them all for a city.

This one is Houston and counts 37 alone and all but a couple are inside the loop and they are missing several in Uptown.
https://wanderlog.com/list/geoCatego...ars-in-houston

This one is Dallas and counts 39 alone and most are inside loop 12.
https://wanderlog.com/list/geoCatego...bars-in-dallas

This one is for Atlanta which counts 47 alone.
https://wanderlog.com/list/geoCatego...ars-in-atlanta
Nice! Are these all in city limits? Went through a couple in the Atlanta link. Nice places, but not all of those are rooftops it seems based on the criteria we were using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City