Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2023, 06:37 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times

Advertisements

As you all know, sustainability is a very important and a very necessary aspect of life, not only in our personal lives, but how our cities are run. This ranking does have a very thorough criteria, albeit I know there will be some nitpicking.

It is important that our cities become more sustainable and help mitigate climate change and extreme weather events.

2023 ranking (U.S and Canadian cities) and their grades, out of 70 cities globally. No surprises that Canadian cities, which have more policies and public support of sustainability initiatives, are ranked higher. What is surprising, is how Winnipeg is somehow the most sustainable in North America, according to this specific ranking.

1. Winnipeg: A
2. Vancouver: A
3. Halifax: A* (ranking document has Halifax as an A, website has it as a B..)
----------------------
4. Montreal: B
5. Toronto: B
6. Calgary: B
7. Ottawa: B
8: Edmonton: B
9. S.F: B
10. Boston: B
11. NYC: B
12. Minneapolis: B
13. London (Ontario): B
14. Washington D.C: B
15. L.A: B
16. Philly: B
---------------------------
17. Seattle: C
18. Houston: C
19. Chicago: C
20. Saskatoon

https://www.corporateknights.com/iss...2023/#rankings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 11:38 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
I was expecting laughable results, but looking through the list in the link provided along with letter grades for various categories, I must say, I agree with it.

Old 06-05-2023, 12:56 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I think Winnipeg makes very little sense given its fairly high car dependency and the heating needs of the city which are also almost completely reliant on fossil fuels. It's not very dense or populous in itself or the surrounding region nor much industry so correspondingly probably doesn't emit much air pollutants and isn't in a valley or basin so it doesn't collect or have difficulty dispersing (such as with the Central Valley in California or Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania), and I think having local air pollutant being that high of an indicator as a sustainability composite score warps it a bit in a way I'm not sure jives well with what most people are referencing when they say sustainability.

Old 06-05-2023, 08:40 PM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CXT2000 View Post
As you all know, sustainability is a very important and a very necessary aspect of life, not only in our personal lives, but how our cities are run. This ranking does have a very thorough criteria, albeit I know there will be some nitpicking.

It is important that our cities become more sustainable and help mitigate climate change and extreme weather events.

2023 ranking (U.S and Canadian cities) and their grades, out of 70 cities globally. No surprises that Canadian cities, which have more policies and public support of sustainability initiatives, are ranked higher. What is surprising, is how Winnipeg is somehow the most sustainable in North America, according to this specific ranking.

1. Winnipeg: A
2. Vancouver: A
3. Halifax: A* (ranking document has Halifax as an A, website has it as a B..)
----------------------
4. Montreal: B
5. Toronto: B
6. Calgary: B
7. Ottawa: B
8: Edmonton: B
9. S.F: B
10. Boston: B
11. NYC: B
12. Minneapolis: B
13. London (Ontario): B
14. Washington D.C: B
15. L.A: B
16. Philly: B
---------------------------
17. Seattle: C
18. Houston: C
19. Chicago: C
20. Saskatoon

https://www.corporateknights.com/iss...2023/#rankings
>> No surprises that Canadian cities, which have more policies and public support of sustainability initiativ

Not necessarily true. If the US had Canada's parliamentary system combined with its massive economy, you'd see a lot of the same if not more sustainability focused policies given the strong support for it in the States, after all the country passed the largest climate bill + clean tech industrial policy the world has ever seen.

Old 06-06-2023, 05:29 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think Winnipeg makes very little sense given its fairly high car dependency and the heating needs of the city which are also almost completely reliant on fossil fuels. It's not very dense or populous in itself or the surrounding region nor much industry so correspondingly probably doesn't emit much air pollutants and isn't in a valley or basin so it doesn't collect or have difficulty dispersing (such as with the Central Valley in California or Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania), and I think having local air pollutant being that high of an indicator as a sustainability composite score warps it a bit in a way I'm not sure jives well with what most people are referencing when they say sustainability.
What makes you say that?

https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/environment...ves/hydro.html

More than 98% of electricity generated in Manitoba comes from clean and renewable sources such as hydroelectricity and wind.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
What makes you say that?

https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/environment...ves/hydro.html

More than 98% of electricity generated in Manitoba comes from clean and renewable sources such as hydroelectricity and wind.
Right, but most heating in Manitoba is still done with fossil fuels and not electricity. There are incentives for geothermal and air sourced heat pumps that perform well in cold climates, but these are fairly recent and so the vast majority is still on natural gas. And it's still very much car dependent.

Not trying to poop on Winnipeg, just that I think it's ranked too high given those two factors and I think in the methodology it has to do with the very high weighting local air quality has which is not necessarily that closely tied to sustainability as it is to the economics of a place (how industrial it is) and its geography (whether it traps pollutants or normally gets a lot of dust or wildfires).

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-06-2023 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-06-2023, 02:23 PM

638 posts, read 348,959 times
Kind of laughable. Vancouver BC is almost exclusively a city that caters the rich. Easy to be “sustainable” when a large population of lower income folks can’t live in your city.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:54 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Can we have sustainable climate change with these cities? How is one able to sustain it? I have to say as a human species we are quite the conceited type, to somehow think we can threaten livability. I say all cities are doing pretty well! Even Phoenix and Las Vegas. I personally wouldn't want to live in Winnipeg, or any of those Canadian cities. Too cold for me for too long.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealpinist View Post
Kind of laughable. Vancouver BC is almost exclusively a city that caters the rich. Easy to be “sustainable” when a large population of lower income folks can’t live in your city.

I'm not sure if that's particularly closely related. Do you think Winnipeg is even wealthier then? Or Halifax just a tiny bit less so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City